Using melted chocolate+sugar+water
Posted: 17 December 2013 04:05 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  158
Joined  2011-06-02

Hey y’all!
So I was making Maida Heatter’s Snowball recipe which is like a flourless chocolate cake covered with whipped-cream rosettes [like a baked alaska], but I messed up a little, and accidentally doubled the amount of water. I made a new batch for the cake, but now I have a bowl of 8 ounces bittersweet 70% chocolate, 1 cup/7 ounces sugar and 1 cup water, melted together.
Do any of you remember a recipe that uses these ingredients? the main problem for me is the water, because many recipes call for melted chocolate with sugar [brownies for example..].

If nothing else I can always melt another 8 ounces of chocolate and add another 7 ounces of sugar and make another two batches [jeez] of the snowball. But I would rather not smile

Any help would be appreciated!

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 17 December 2013 04:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4816
Joined  2008-04-16

You might be able to use that to make a chocolate cake- if you find one that uses bar chocolate instead of cocoa.  Might need to bring the existing syrup to a simmer to bloom the chocolate.  Might have some luck with the dissolved sugar method of mixing, often used in the UK (Nigella?). 

You can probably get away with using it even in a cocoa cake, but it would be more work, as you would have to break down the chocolate into its components (cocoa butter, sugar, chocolate liquor) and go from there.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Three New Takes on a Classic Fall Dessert

Posted: 17 December 2013 11:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-06-02

Thanks! Yes, I thought about using it as a replacement for cocoa but it’s alot of math involved & I would rather avoid it smile
I think my best bet is to find a recipe for a chocolate dessert or torte, and not a layer cake. But It’s hard finding one..

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 18 December 2013 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1196
Joined  2009-11-24

Mom’s cake use water and chocolate. 
http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/moms-chocolate-cake
And, I think I saw that one of ROse’s cakes in RHC used water and chocolate and also add cocoa powder.  Cannot think which one right now

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 18 December 2013 10:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  607
Joined  2007-11-27

One idea is a bete noir recipe that would use chocolate, sugar and water melted together; here’s one from epicurious.com http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/La-Bete-Noire-235831
You would need to remelt it in order to add more chocolate, (use a lesser percentage, your 70% would make this cake very bitter, you could even use a semisweet to even it out - I usually use a 60% when I make this cake) the butter and don’t worry about the additional water you have versus what this particular recipe calls for.

Normally for this cake, you would make a sugar syrup and add it to the melted chocolate and butter and then combine them.  I once had to stop making this in the middle, just after adding the syrup to the choc/butter.  the cake was a little more grainy, but I gently heated the choc/butter/syrup mixture after holding it overnight to add to the beaten eggs and it was ok.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 21 December 2013 01:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-06-02

Thank you all!

CRenee, are you talking about Miette’s cake?
Thanks for the recipe- it looks promising. I love that it’s an actual [butter/layer] cake!

Jeanne, the Bete Noir cake looks very good [I have actually bookmarked it some time ago], and is a little similar to the cake I made! I wonder how they differ. Thanks for the tips also!

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 23 December 2013 09:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2010-07-25

I just made a chocolate mousse that called for melting white chocolate, water, and pear brandy. The mixture was cooled and folded into whipped cream.
It sounds like you have the base for a water ganache; there ought to be a recipe out there that would use the proportions you have. Happy baking!