Crisp gingersnap cookies
Posted: 17 December 2013 10:16 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  144
Joined  2010-05-24

Hi everyone!

Does anyone have a good recipe for a crisp gingersnap cookie? I’ve seen a lot of recipes for chewy one, but I’d like a crisp one. They are ginger"snaps” after all. I had some store bought ones a couple weeks ago and just realized how delicious they are. Especially dunked in coffee. The flavor combination is so classic it’s like tomato and basil. I never knew till now.

Posted: 17 December 2013 11:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2011-06-02

I like Martha Stewart’s gingersnaps- just be sure to bake them long enough. I can’t find the recipe on her site [it’s the one where you roll the balls of dough in the sugar], but I think it’s in her baking handbook!

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 18 December 2013 02:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

Rose’s ginger pennies in her cookie book get good reviews.  And I make a variation on her gingerbread every year, it is very crisp and delicious.  For that recipe (and many others), it’s all in how to roll and bake the cookies.  For a soft result, roll the dough thick and bake just until the cookies begin to color.  For a crisp result, roll thin and bake until a little more color (browning) shows.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 24 December 2013 04:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  144
Joined  2010-05-24

Hi Julie! Merry Christmas! Thanks for the suggestion of Rose’s ginger pennies. I checked out the book at my public library. I didn’t try making that recipe though, because they make really small thin cookies. Then I remembered I owned a copy of Shirley Corriher’s Bakewise and checked if there was a gingersnap. There was. I was a bit hesitant to try the recipe at first, because Shirley’s recipes tend to be very sweet. However, she promised crispness all the way through the cookie (due to the use of granulated sugar instead of brown sugar), which was what I wanted so I just tried it. Flavorwise, it was what I was aiming for. I played around with baking time to get it to the crispness level I wanted. First I tried baking it until it was as dark as can be without being burnt. The result was really rock hard cookies. Then I baked it a bit less and got crisp cookies that were chewy at the same time. I wasn’t really looking for chewy, but since I was using King Arthur unbleached AP flour, I guess that was inevitable. But overall, the chewiness was fine, because I still had crisp. The cookies did turn out really, really thin though. I wonder if the recipe was supposed to be like that. When I took the cookies out of the oven, they were still slightly puffy, but they deflated quickly into thin sheets upon cooling.

This blog has the recipe. Theirs looked thin too (even though they used turbinado sugar instead of the granulated sugar in the original recipe). Perhaps that is just the recipe. Although I may have messed up a few parts—using unbleached AP flour instead of bleached (but KA flour should reduce the spread), perhaps not creaming the butter and sugar well enough (kitchen was very cold and butter barely softened overnight), and forgetting to add the molasses until I started adding the flour.

http://theshoeboxkitchen.wordpress.com/2010/09/06/ginger-snaps/

Posted: 29 December 2013 01:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2013-12-29

I like Martha Stewart’s too. They can be a bit tricky though. I bought the kids some cake mixes this year, they loved them and were a piece of cake to make. (they even tasted great!!!!) If you are feeling lazy give them a go!

Posted: 19 May 2014 02:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  135
Joined  2010-01-18

Our favorite “Crunchy” G-man recipe is as follows: 1/2 c. margerine, 1/2 c. molasses, 3/4 c. brown sugar. Melt all together in large pot til smoothly blended. Cool to room temp. Beat in 1 egg. Then stir in the dry ingredients: 2 c. A/P flour, 3 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 1/2 tsp ginger, 1 tsp cinnamon (you could increase or add other spices too). Blend thoroughly. Chill well. May be rolled out and cut into shapes (it works well for Gingerbread houses as it is very crisp). OR I have also rolled into logs, chilled overnight and then sliced it for snaps. Bake at 350. It is a very old recipe - when we all still used margerine in baking - eeewwww! I’m sure you could sub butter. smile Up here in Canada I too find many US recipes (esp Martha’s!) far too high in sugar - esp for our altitude 3000 Ft. I usually arbitrarily cut down up to 25% - except in Rose’s recipes which I dare not mess with. Bakewise Cake recipes have also failed terribly for me - although they look great - I am quite put off with wasting so many high cost ingreds to have such failures! Let me know if you try these G-men. I have made them for tree decorations - even done them as Easter Rabbits! smile