White chocolate whisper cake
Posted: 19 December 2013 12:50 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2013-12-19

Hi
I was trying the white chocolate whisper cake from Roses’s heavenly cakes today with a slight modification. Instead of the 9in pans suggested, I used 10in round pans instead. The cakes unfortunately did not bake as expected, they were underdone at the bottom and did not rise as much. I have made this recipe in the past modifying it for 6in round pans ( basically made 1/2 the recipe) and it worked out great. This was the first time I tried the recipe as is mentioned in the book. Is there a problem when I bake it in larger pans? Or is there some modification I need to do? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I absolutely love the flavor of this cake, and would like to bake the larger one successfully.
Thanks!

Posted: 19 December 2013 11:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-12-19

Hi ~Freshkid,
The recipe is also in Roses Heavenly Cakes and that’s the one I used with those quantities. The same one in The Cake Bible is a scaled down version of the recipe.
I used 3in high pans that were 10in round pans. I have read on another post that her cakes don’t work with 3in high pans, but I had scaled down the recipe and baked them in 6in round pans that were 3in high with no problems at all.

I used the exact recipe with the measurements mentioned, the only change I did was to bake them in two 10in pans that were 3in high, instead of the 9in pans she mentions.
Should I reduce the baking powder if I increase the pan size for the same amount of batter?

Curious to know what the problem was when I stuck with the exact measurements as mentioned in the recipe….

Posted: 20 December 2013 12:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-12-19

Yes, actually the cake looked like the underside was raw, and on top it looked done. Will recheck the flour and see what kind it was.
I also make my own cake flour at home, substituting every 2tbsp of flour for 2 tbsp of cornstarch, for every cup of flour. I whisk them together and then sift them 4 times. Would that be a factor in the undercooking of the cake?
Thanks!