Speaking of Kitchen Mishaps
Posted: 21 December 2013 09:28 PM   [ Ignore ]
Newbie
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-12-21

This evening, we invested a fair amount of time & money (dried fruit etc. isn’t very cheap around here) in making a robust Christmas cake. Well, instead of cancelling the oven timer after setting a more preferred timer, I cancelled the oven instead, and we didn’t notice until almost an hour later. The batter contains five eggs. So the question is whether this will be safe/good to eat if fully baked. From what I understand, salmonella is relatively easily killed, @ ~155+ degrees, assuming that’s the only risk. We are considering making another, so I’m wondering if we should just let this one cook to death and then use it as supplemental bird food. Any thoughts?

Profile
 
 
Posted: 22 December 2013 12:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Sr. Member
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1376
Joined  2008-09-27

I’d eat it. Even though some of the toxins produced by bacteria would not be destroyed by the internal temperature of the cake, an hour isn’t enough to produce anything of significance.

 Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Profile
 
 
Posted: 22 December 2013 08:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Sr. Member
Avatar
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  609
Joined  2007-11-27

How long did the cake get baked for before the oven was shut off?  If you shut off the oven half way through the baking time and then turned it off for an hour and then turned it back on for however much time was remaining, the cake will be fully baked but the texture might not be as wonderful.  I’d still eat it though smile

 Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Profile
 
 
Posted: 22 December 2013 04:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Newbie
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-12-21

It was actually shut off not long after it went in. I am inclined to think it’s unlikely to be dangerous, since the cake ended up at a temperature of over 200°. grin  That’s supposed to be plenty to destroy botulinum at least, and I think we’re healthy enough that a little staph toxin wouldn’t land us in the hospital. I might just ‘gradually’ sample some, but we’ll be making another for sharing with friends & family. Thanks for the replies.

Profile
 
 
   
  Back to top