Old recipe measurements
Posted: 22 December 2013 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  49
Joined  2010-01-24

I recently got an heirloom recipe book that has old German recipes dating from 1940s (or earlier) from the area my mother and family came from. I would like to make some of the cookies in the book that I remember my grandmother making but the quantities are measured in “glasses”.. For example it says: “4 Glas Mehl” (flour),  “1 Glas Zucker” (sugar)...etc.” 

I would like to know how much is “1 Glas” ???  Were drinking glasses back then only one standard size and if so what would it equal in our metric or imperial measurements?

If anyone can help me with this I would greatly appreciate it.  My mother has serious memory issues and unfortunately can’t help me out because she doesn’t remember. I would love to try these old recipes.

Posted: 23 December 2013 03:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2011-06-02

Have you tried looking at the beginning of the book? Even very old cookbooks used to write the measurements in the first few pages.
Also, could you type a basic recipe for us so we can compare it to our modern-understanding of cookie dough? Maybe if we’ll see the flour-sugar-butter proportions we’ll be able to be of more asistance.

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 23 December 2013 08:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  49
Joined  2010-01-24

The first thing I did was check the book but nowhere in the book are there any measurement explanations. It is 269 page book compiled by a group of housewives and type written on an old typewriter.
This particular recipe says (translated):
400 g Butter
300 g ground nuts
1 glass sugar
4 glasses flour
1 lemon (zest)
7 tablespoons sour cream

The instructions are minimal just saying to form a dough, roll it out and cut out the cookies and bake them till lightly browned (no oven temperature given), to spread them with jam and coat with icing sugar.

There are many other recipes too that combine different types of measurements, some ingredients being measured in grams and other ingredients in the same recipes measured in “glasses”.
It can be a “glass” of raisins, milk, flour, sugar, sour cream, 3/4 of a “glass” of oil and so on….
That’s why it would be helpful if someone knows what that size glass would have been so that it could be used for any of the recipes and not just for this one particular cookie recipe.

Posted: 23 December 2013 09:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  590
Joined  2007-11-18
Heidi - 23 December 2013 08:30 AM

The first thing I did was check the book but nowhere in the book are there any measurement explanations. It is 269 page book compiled by a group of housewives and type written on an old typewriter.
This particular recipe says (translated):
400 g Butter
300 g ground nuts
1 glass sugar
4 glasses flour
1 lemon (zest)
7 tablespoons sour cream

The instructions are minimal just saying to form a dough, roll it out and cut out the cookies and bake them till lightly browned (no oven temperature given), to spread them with jam and coat with icing sugar.

There are many other recipes too that combine different types of measurements, some ingredients being measured in grams and other ingredients in the same recipes measured in “glasses”.
It can be a “glass” of raisins, milk, flour, sugar, sour cream, 3/4 of a “glass” of oil and so on….
That’s why it would be helpful if someone knows what that size glass would have been so that it could be used for any of the recipes and not just for this one particular cookie recipe. [/quote

HEIDI:
  Good morning. I am glad you posted the recipe because I can make heasds & tails of what is meant by “GLAS” It refers to cups.

I learned thru GOOLE that 1,GLAS of CHERRIES is 25, oz. , 4GLAS of flour is 18, oz of US AP flour. You see Heidi with the exception of the sourcream this recipe is a good clone for “SHORTBREAD COOKIES”  You can try it if you like I bake my shortbread cookies like this pre heat oven 400 degrees have the cookie surface firm up in freezer (not frozen) & place in oven reducing temp to 290 Degrees… 10, min & re-arrange trays to insure even baking for additional 5 to 7, minutes.

Good luck & report back with your findings. I hope I have helped you this morning.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 25 December 2013 02:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  674
Joined  2012-01-12

Actually there is a section for Cake Questions this is “Show and Tell”.