White chocolate mousse- need advice on stiffening
Posted: 23 December 2013 09:10 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2010-07-25

I’m making this Dede Wilson white chocolate trifle for a party: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/White-Chocolate-Tiramisu-Trifle-with-Spiced-Pears-240701
I whipped the cream for the mousse to soft peaks, then mixed with melted chocolate, water, and brandy. It did not get stiff after refrigerating, however. I think the problem was that I did not whip the cream to stiffer peaks. After chilling overnight, I re-whipped the mousse on high and added 1/2 t meringue powder. Did I break the mousse, or will it likely get stiff enough to use in my trifle? How stiff is mousse supposed to be for trifle, anyway?
Thanks!

Posted: 23 December 2013 01:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  674
Joined  2012-01-12

when i make WCmousse’ i do not add water. what was the purpose of the water ? the way i make is like making WC ganache then i just add the whipped cream and mascarpone. i use the recipe from Guittard Chocolates. is it runny like sauce ? as long as it is not liquid or runny, i think that would be ok.

Posted: 24 December 2013 07:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2010-07-25

Thanks!
It seems to have set very stiff after the addition Olof the meringue powder. Almost too stiff. I am going to hope that it is like ganache in that it will soften at room temp.