2 of 2
Cast iron cookware on ceramic rangetops
Posted: 27 January 2014 10:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1651
Joined  2011-02-17
CharlesT - 27 January 2014 01:17 AM
Flour Girl - 26 January 2014 04:16 PM

Lodge specifically instructs to heat their cast iron on high before adding food/oil in their cookbook.

That’s only for a short time, though, and once you drop the food in, the temperature drops.

And I would never heat a cast iron on high on a coil electric. At least, I wouldn’t do it again. I know mine got over 800 degrees on medium high and total destroyed the seasoning. Any oil thrown in the pan would have instantly ignited. My current stove is an induction and I don’t know how hot it could get a pan.

That’s correct. You heat it on high until you add the oil or food. 

Bobby Flay uses his cast iron on open flames.

Don’t you season after each use? The Lodge Cast Iron Cookbook recommends you wipe with oil after each use. I use melted shortening.

Posted: 27 January 2014 10:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Silvia - 26 January 2014 06:51 PM

I suposed they are talking about the iron pan,
I couldn’t imagine a ceramic top warping,
but now you have made me doubt.
To be safe, just donĀ“t heat anything, too much, for too long.

Hi Silvia,

I wanted to show you my stove. It is 12 years old and in perfect condition. I use my cast iron often.

I also included a pic of my new pot rack where I store my cast iron and a pic of the pot rack where I store my stainless.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Image Attachments
unnamed-4.jpgunnamed-1.jpgunnamed.jpg

Posted: 27 January 2014 11:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1376
Joined  2008-09-27
Flour Girl - 27 January 2014 10:32 AM

Don’t you season after each use?

I’m talking bare metal. There isn’t a seasoning in the world that can withstand that temperature. A glowing red coil produces a much greater heat transfer than an open flame.

I recently stripped a cast iron pan by putting it in the oven and starting the auto-clean cycle. Worked fine, but I foolishly left in my telescoping oven rack, which was destroyed. :-(

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 27 January 2014 02:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
CharlesT - 27 January 2014 11:26 AM

I recently stripped a cast iron pan by putting it in the oven and starting the auto-clean cycle. Worked fine, but I foolishly left in my telescoping oven rack, which was destroyed. :-(

Ouch! That has got to be upsetting.

Posted: 29 January 2014 08:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  98
Joined  2009-07-31
CharlesT - 27 January 2014 11:26 AM

I’m talking bare metal. There isn’t a seasoning in the world that can withstand that temperature. A glowing red coil produces a much greater heat transfer than an open flame.

I also destroyed the seasoning of one of my pans, when I left it in the oven
while I baked breas

Posted: 29 January 2014 08:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  98
Joined  2009-07-31

[

Hi Silvia,

I wanted to show you my stove. It is 12 years old and in perfect condition. I use my cast iron often.

I also included a pic of my new pot rack where I store my cast iron and a pic of the pot rack where I store my stainless.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Flour Girl, I envy your beautiful, spacious kitchen, your pristine looking ceramic top and
your beatifully display of your cast iron collection.

Posted: 29 January 2014 01:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Silvia - 29 January 2014 08:15 AM

Flour Girl, I envy your beautiful, spacious kitchen, your pristine looking ceramic top and
your beatifully display of your cast iron collection.

Thanks Silvia! I just wanted to show you I use cast iron all the time and my stove is in perfect condition. 

I have several cast iron recipe books. My favorite is ONE PAN TWO PLATES. Complete and unique meals.

2 of 2