All purpose flour for white bread
Posted: 30 December 2013 07:12 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2013-12-30

Ive just bought The Bread Bible and reading through the recipes, I noticed that several white breads, including the basic white sandwich loaf and the baguette use all purpose flour in the recipes. I live in Spain, and we dont have white all purpose flour here, just plain flour, cake flour, bread flour (11% gluten) or strong flour (13%). I can also get hold of Italian 00 flour if I need to but not so easily accesible. Could you please recommend which flour I should be using? Thanks very much

Posted: 30 December 2013 08:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  590
Joined  2007-11-18
honeybunch - 30 December 2013 07:12 AM

Ive just bought The Bread Bible and reading through the recipes, I noticed that several white breads, including the basic white sandwich loaf and the baguette use all purpose flour in the recipes. I live in Spain, and we dont have white all purpose flour here, just plain flour, cake flour, bread flour (11% gluten) or strong flour (13%). I can also get hold of Italian 00 flour if I need to but not so easily accesible. Could you please recommend which flour I should be using? Thanks very much

HONEYBUNCH:
  Good morning. I believe that “PLAIN FLOUR” is the counterpart to America’s ALL PURPOSE flour. Which flour you will enjoy is personnel. I prefer a soft dinner rolls so I blend AP with a weaker flour like pastry flour or cornstarch. Soooo, you must experiment for your likes. Keep in mind however each flour has a personality of it’s own The stronger the flour it will require a little more hydration.

I can add this for your consideration, In blending you can add cornstarch….In Europe I believe it is known as cornflour. It is the flour that thickens desserts like puddings. In doing this proceedure you will lower the gluten protein strength.

I would suggest this to you just to begin with. (Adjustments later on) for the basic white sandwich bread I would start off using the Plain Flour. For dinner rolls either the bread flour (13%) then perhaps blending that with Plain flour…see which one is appropriate for you. When blending always sift the flour twice.

I hope I was able to help you make the right decision for yourself today.

Good luck & HAPPY HOLLIDAY’S to you young lady

~FRESHKID..

Posted: 30 December 2013 10:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1352
Joined  2008-09-27

Your bread flour would be fine. It’s a bit weaker than our bread flour and closer to All Purpose.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach