White Chocolate Whisper conversion to 12”
Posted: 30 December 2013 03:43 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2012-12-16

All_

In running a test for an occasion cake that I am delivering on New Year’s day, I baked a single layer of the White Chocolate Whisper cake (9” round, 2” high pan) and used 2/3 the printed recipe as stated in TCB.  It turned out great.  Now, I need to figure out how to manipulate the recipe to get enough batter and the correct leavening for a double layer 12” round.  I will be baking the cakes in 12” round by 2” high pans.  Can someone help walk me through a conversion of an existing recipe?  I have made many out of the butter cake charts in the back of the book, but I don’t have the first clue how to adjust an existing recipe; specifically this one with the white chocolate.  Thank you so much for the help!

Nathan

Posted: 31 December 2013 06:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  608
Joined  2007-11-18
extraNrG - 30 December 2013 03:43 PM

All_

In running a test for an occasion cake that I am delivering on New Year’s day, I baked a single layer of the White Chocolate Whisper cake (9” round, 2” high pan) and used 2/3 the printed recipe as stated in TCB.  It turned out great.  Now, I need to figure out how to manipulate the recipe to get enough batter and the correct leavening for a double layer 12” round.  I will be baking the cakes in 12” round by 2” high pans.  Can someone help walk me through a conversion of an existing recipe?  I have made many out of the butter cake charts in the back of the book, but I don’t have the first clue how to adjust an existing recipe; specifically this one with the white chocolate.  Thank you so much for the help!

Nathan

NATHAN:
  Good morning. I can & will walk you thru.
The original recipe fills the pan just 55% full allowing for the leavener action. Instead of the usual 2/3rds full. Soooo, I am allowing that high as well for the (2) 12,in X 2, in pans

I am allowing you approx 3, oz of batter extra for waste.

COMES NOW:

Cake flour                               29.5, oz
White choco                             16,7/8ths, oz
Eggs   (Whites 22)                      13, 3/8ths, oz
Milk                                     29.5, oz
Vanilla                                   3/4, oz
Sugar                                   23, 7/8ths, oz
Baking Powder                           2,1/8th, oz
Salt                                       3/4, oz
Butter                                     12, 5/8ths, oz
...................................................................................................
                                          127,1/4th, oz….for 2, stated sized baking pans.

I do not know about the leaveners if they should be increased or decreased due to the larger size pans. I do not have experience in large cake baking. However, perhaps member Julie may be able to help you. I just posted the amount in ratio & proportion.

Good luck Nathan in your project. & happy new years to you as well.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 31 December 2013 10:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2012-12-16

Thank you!  I want to sit down with this during the afternoon and see if I can get from the old recipe numbers to these.  This is an immense help.