Chestnut Sand Cake (TCB)
Posted: 31 December 2013 12:14 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2011-05-31

Hi everyone. Just wanted to share… today I made the Chestnut Sand Cake from The Cake Bible, and the classic chestnut buttercream. It was unexpectedly easy to make, and delicious! Instead of buying chestnut flour, I used my Vitamix to grind steamed chestnuts (which I had bought in a jar from Williams Sonoma). I then pureed the remaining steamed chestnuts to use in my buttercream. It was all easier than I thought thanks to the already cooked and peeled chestnuts.  Before trying it, my husband called the cake “too gourmet”, but AFTER the first bite, he was hooked. He loved it and is now on his second slice.  It’s one of those cakes where the flavors dance in your mouth after the first bite.

Here is a picture of a small slice, with the buttercream, and powdered sugar too.

Delicious : )

PS. The verdict is in… my husband just called this cake his favorite ever : )

Image Attachments
chestnut_cake.jpg

Posted: 31 December 2013 01:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

Adrie318 you are making my mouth water. Your cake looks great! I love chestnuts. It reminds me of standing on line at Radio City Music Hall and eating hot chestnuts while waiting to buy a ticket to the show.

Do you have the additional jar for grinding grains? I don’t have that jar and am wondering if I can use the original blender jar to process the chestnuts? Next time I go to WS I will pick up the steamed chestnuts.

Thanks for sharing. I’m looking forward to trying this cake.

Posted: 31 December 2013 01:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2011-05-31

Thank you : )  I had to put the rest away so we don’t eat more!

I don’t have the dry container for the vita mix, which they recommend to grind dry items. I used the regular container, and to be honest, I almost broke the thing! The machine got very hot and over-heated. I let it cool, and it seems to be working fine again : )  And yes, those already cooked and peeled chestnuts are great for this cake… makes it a little expensive, but I really hate peeling chestnuts so it was worth it : )

Here is a link to them on their website… they are out of stock online, but I saw them in the store last week… and I bet they are on sale now too!
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/steamed-whole-chestnut/

Posted: 31 December 2013 01:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

Thank you! There is a WS right by my son’s house. Next time I visit I will get them.

I can understand why you had to put the cake away.  I am like that when it comes to whipped cream. It can’t be in my house. If I make it for company, they HAVE to take it home with them.

Do you intend to get the dry container since you had that experience?  I never thought I would need it but it might be worth getting. My warranty is no longer valid.

Posted: 02 January 2014 07:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Glad to hear how much you both enjoyed this cake!  Forum member Anne also raves about it, I think it may need to go on my to-bake list smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 27 January 2014 05:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

How beautiful!  This is my all time favorite cake of the entire planet.  I used chestnut flour, though, so it works well, also.  Love your Vitamix?  I have a Blendtec, and I love it, too!  You probably didn’t even have to steam the chestnuts to grind them!