Almond Gallette, made today
Posted: 04 January 2014 01:42 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2012-01-12

I have never made this b4,  I thought I’d try it.  First thing I did was make the puff pastry from scratch (also I have never made b4).. I waited 3 hrs to chill it.  Then made the almond paste filling.  This is a King Arthur recipe…  I love it, I would not change a thing about it..  I have a lot of room for (cosmetic) improvement..

Image Attachments
P1020900.JPGP1020905.JPG

Posted: 04 January 2014 11:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1534
Joined  2011-02-17

WOW! It looks amazing! Congratulations on making the puff pastry and almond paste filling from scratch. It is too pretty to eat. Did you make this for guests?

Posted: 04 January 2014 01:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12

Thank you, this was actually an experiment. I have been wanting to make this but never got to it. Since I have so many ingredients that I did not use for Christmas like the almond paste, I thought I’d use them. I love almond paste, so does my son. smile

Posted: 04 January 2014 02:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  592
Joined  2007-11-27

almond paste is great!  One of my husband’s cousins used to make what she called “marsupine” (I am sure that is not spelled correctly) - it had a wide swath of almond paste in the center, it was a cross between a pastry and a cookie.  They’ve since moved to Florida for retirement but I’d love to have some of her marsupine again!

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 04 January 2014 04:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Prettycake, it is spectacular!

Jeanne, I have never tried almond paste.

I am still baking the almond version of the Wowie Cake you recommended.  We love it, especially my son.  Can almond paste be used in that recipe in place of the almond flour?

Posted: 04 January 2014 04:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12

flour girl,
Almond paste and almond flour/meal are very different. Paste is very solid/packed, although once you loosen it up, then it will mix easily. I have not made that cake so I don’t know what the procedure is, but that’s my input on your question. I use a lot of almond flour when I make French macaron, Princess cake and Financier.

Posted: 04 January 2014 06:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  592
Joined  2007-11-27

Flour Girl, the almond paste won’t give the cake the structure it needs; it has to be the almond flour for the wowie cake.  You could add some chopped bits of almond paste (think of them as almond chips!) for a little more texture though.  You’ve reminded me though; I have some pistachio flour (meal) that I might try in the wowie cake and see what happens….  Glad your family likes the cake!  We loved it growing up smile

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 04 January 2014 09:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
prettycake - 04 January 2014 04:42 PM

flour girl,
Almond paste and almond flour/meal are very different. Paste is very solid/packed, although once you loosen it up, then it will mix easily. I have not made that cake so I don’t know what the procedure is, but that’s my input on your question. I use a lot of almond flour when I make French macaron, Princess cake and Financier.

Thank you Prettycake. That is good to know. I’m glad I never tried to substitute one for the other.

The Wowie cake is a Vegan cake. It was originally made with cocoa powder but Jeanne modified it to be made with almond flour instead of the cocoa.  There is no butter or eggs.  It is very moist and really delicious. Although I have a banana cake from Flo Braker and a carrot cake from Back In The Day sitting on my counter, I will be having the Wowie almond cake I just baked for after-dinner dessert. My son and his friend are working in the garage,  They requested the Wowie Almond Cake.

Posted: 04 January 2014 09:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Jeanne - 04 January 2014 06:16 PM

Flour Girl, the almond paste won’t give the cake the structure it needs; it has to be the almond flour for the wowie cake.  You could add some chopped bits of almond paste (think of them as almond chips!) for a little more texture though.  You’ve reminded me though; I have some pistachio flour (meal) that I might try in the wowie cake and see what happens….  Glad your family likes the cake!  We loved it growing up smile

Thank you Jeanne, the almond paste chips is a great idea!  Ooooo, I love the idea of pistachio flour. I have to look for that. If I can’t find it, can I grind pistachios?  Can chopped nuts go into the batter?

Thank you so much. We love this cake and my cholesterol has gone down to a normal level. So, I guess you can have your cake and eat it too wink

Posted: 04 January 2014 11:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12

You can also use pistachio flour to make the French macaron instead of almond. The taste is almost identical. Certain cakes are good with chopped nuts.

Posted: 05 January 2014 01:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Thank you Prettycake, I’ll try to find it. I like the idea of using interesting ingredients and I like trying new things.

Posted: 06 January 2014 12:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  167
Joined  2011-12-25

Very interesting thread.

Prettycake, you did a wonderful job esp for your 1st time. Ive made peach turnovers with the almond paste tucked under the peach. It was my 1st time also and seeing your gallette makes me want to try that. I have a tube of the almond paste - one of my favorite flavors. And I have many almonds that need to be used so that’s the perfect recipe for me at this time.

Thanks for sharing

Abbey

Posted: 06 January 2014 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12

Thank you Abby,
Its one of those things that just happens to pop up in my head one day.  Next thing I know, I was making it smile