2 of 3
My Quest:Finding The Jewish Honey Cake I Remember
Posted: 27 January 2014 11:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  158
Joined  2011-06-02

Hey FG!
First of all- you’re very welcome! If you end up needing to question him more then you should, you could always say you’re asking for a friend!

Oh, the ingredients are whisked in a bain marie? I have heard of cakes [not necessarily Jewish/Israeli] where you beat the eggs and sugar in a bain marie- that’s sort of the old-fashioned european method for making a genoise! Are all the ingredients whisked [including the flour and raising agents?].
Do you have other relatives that remember the cake? Maybe you could let them be the judge and let you know if it’s similar to said cake!
I have baked alot recently- though right now I’m eager to try some no-bake treats! My plan it so make some no-churn Nutella ice cream today and figure out what to do with it tommorow smile

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 27 January 2014 02:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1650
Joined  2011-02-17

Hi McBrownie,

The eggs, sugar, corn syrup and salt are whisked in the bain marie over boiling water. The flour is gently folded in 1/2-cup at a time. The vanilla is added with the last batch of flour.  There are no leavening agents.

I imagine this is an old recipe. Although a new book, it is “recipes and memories from the golden age of Jewish baking”.

Uncle Karl is my only living relative. Although about to turn 94, he is very lucid and has a sharp memory. I’ll ask him about it. He loves talking about the food he has eaten as a boy.

Nutella ice cream sounds delicious! Please let me know what you do with it.

Posted: 27 January 2014 11:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-06-02
Flour Girl - 27 January 2014 02:07 PM

Hi McBrownie,

The eggs, sugar, corn syrup and salt are whisked in the bain marie over boiling water. The flour is gently folded in 1/2-cup at a time. The vanilla is added with the last batch of flour.  There are no leavening agents.

I imagine this is an old recipe. Although a new book, it is “recipes and memories from the golden age of Jewish baking”.

Uncle Karl is my only living relative. Although about to turn 94, he is very lucid and has a sharp memory. I’ll ask him about it. He loves talking about the food he has eaten as a boy.

Nutella ice cream sounds delicious! Please let me know what you do with it.

Oh, then just as i suspected- it is used just like in a genoise!
I’m hoping it is similar to the cake your unclr remembered.

I love it that your uncle loves to talk about that. I have an aunt who’s just like that.

I will let you know soon!

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 28 January 2014 11:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Too bad your aunt isn’t in his nursing home. He still has an eye for the ladies. That’s what keeps you young!

Posted: 09 February 2014 12:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-06-02

Hey FG!
HAHA, too bad indeed!

So how did the cakes turn out??

Take a look at this recipe I found online- it’s for a Sprite pound cake!
http://www.cooks.com/recipe/yr2q2666/sprite-pound-cake.html

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 10 February 2014 01:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
McBrownie - 09 February 2014 12:27 PM

Hey FG!
HAHA, too bad indeed!

So how did the cakes turn out??

Take a look at this recipe I found online- it’s for a Sprite pound cake!
http://www.cooks.com/recipe/yr2q2666/sprite-pound-cake.html

Hi McBrownie,

That cake sounds good. Funny you mention a Sprite cake. I found another Honey Cake recipe by Marcy Goldman where she uses Coke!  Are you planning to bake that cake?

My uncle’s package will be on the way to him tomorrow. I didn’t bake the sponge cake. This time I baked what everyone calls my “signature” cake, Flo Braker’s Banana Streusel cake. I also made him Alice Medrich’s Blondies. I was going to send two cakes but he told me he is still eating the honey cake I sent. That’s not good. He is legally blind and probably doesn’t see how gummy it must be by now. I thought one cake and the blondies would be better for him.

I’d love to hear about some of your recent baking.

Posted: 13 February 2014 02:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-06-02

Ha! I just remember a recipe for a chocolate cake that uses coke.. Sounds horrid to me, actually.
I am not planning to bake that cake, but I saw that and remembered you! And wondred how are you efforts coming up.

I think you made a smart choice- blondies can keep for weeks in the fridge!

Well, recently I made two oatmeal cookies- one from Magnolia Bakery, and the other from Thomas Keller [Bouchon Bakery]. I’m not really a fan of oatmeal cookies, and I don’t like raisins generally, but somehow in a cookie they are magical. It’s the first time I had oatmeal cookies, and they are so good, especially TK’s. They also keep better.

I also made a strawberry-white chocolate cheesecake which is seriously delicious. White chocolate and strawberries go so well together.
I have pictures on my blog but I’m not sure if I’m allowed to link to my own site. If you want I can send you a link in a PM.
I’m planning a cake for the weekend but am not sure what to bake. Maybe a pound cake.
I have some homemade chocolate wafers that gotten a bit tough, so I want to use it somehow in a cake, but I have made alot of cheesecakes recently [I also made an oreo cheesecake before the strawberry one], so I’m not in the mood for some “crust+filling” cake.

Maybe I’ll try your “signature” cake- I do have some bananas in the freezer I want to use up!
I actually have Baking For All Occasions so I’ll go have a look!
BTW, how do you handle frozen bananas when you want to bake with them? Should I defrost them in a bowl? Overnight? On the Counter?
They also “leek” a lot. Should I use, or discard, the solids?

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 13 February 2014 06:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
McBrownie - 13 February 2014 02:34 PM

Ha! I just remember a recipe for a chocolate cake that uses coke.. Sounds horrid to me, actually.
I am not planning to bake that cake, but I saw that and remembered you! And wondred how are you efforts coming up.

I think you made a smart choice- blondies can keep for weeks in the fridge!

Well, recently I made two oatmeal cookies- one from Magnolia Bakery, and the other from Thomas Keller [Bouchon Bakery]. I’m not really a fan of oatmeal cookies, and I don’t like raisins generally, but somehow in a cookie they are magical. It’s the first time I had oatmeal cookies, and they are so good, especially TK’s. They also keep better.

I also made a strawberry-white chocolate cheesecake which is seriously delicious. White chocolate and strawberries go so well together.
I have pictures on my blog but I’m not sure if I’m allowed to link to my own site. If you want I can send you a link in a PM.
I’m planning a cake for the weekend but am not sure what to bake. Maybe a pound cake.
I have some homemade chocolate wafers that gotten a bit tough, so I want to use it somehow in a cake, but I have made alot of cheesecakes recently [I also made an oreo cheesecake before the strawberry one], so I’m not in the mood for some “crust+filling” cake.

Maybe I’ll try your “signature” cake- I do have some bananas in the freezer I want to use up!
I actually have Baking For All Occasions so I’ll go have a look!
BTW, how do you handle frozen bananas when you want to bake with them? Should I defrost them in a bowl? Overnight? On the Counter?
They also “leek” a lot. Should I use, or discard, the solids?

Hi McBrownie,

Thank you for thinking of me. I really appreciate that very much.

I love oatmeal cookies. They are my favorite cookie.  I don’t have Magnolia Bakery. I have borrowed it from the library a few times. I do have the TK book. I need to bake from it more often. Everything from that book is outrageously good.

You have a blog?!! I’d love to have the link. If you could PM it to me, that would be wonderful, thank you!

Ooo, Strawberry and White Chocolate Cheese Cake sounds sooooo good! And Oreo Cheesecake, OMGosh!! That is amazing!

Yes, definitely try Flo’s Banana Snack Cake on page 157.

I usually don’t use frozen bananas. When my bananas ripen, I do marathon baking until they are used. I forgot which book mentioned it but one book suggested to puree the banana before freezing. That worked well for me. The reason I don’t freeze bananas is exactly what you describe.  I would let them defrost on the counter, in a strainer over a bowl, so that you don’t have all that extra moisture. I guess you can defrost them the same day if you have enough time before baking or the night before and put the bowl and strainer in the refrig.

I can’t wait to hear what you think about that recipe.

Which other recipes have you baked from that book?

Posted: 14 February 2014 12:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-06-02

Hey FG,
I bought the Magnolia Bakery cookbook when I was in New York a few years ago. I baked the normal chocolate chip cookies, chocolate-chocolate chip cookies and the oatmeal cookies. Oh, and the PB cookies. Oh and the white-chocolate Hazelnut cheesecake! That’s a good one. I think I baked another thing but I can’t remember.
Their cheesecake recipes are for 10” pans, but I halve the recipe and use a 7” pan.

I didn’t bake anything else from the book- I don’t have it, but I saw the recipe online somewhere. I wish I had it, though!
I love Flo Braker, and even though I didn’t get a chance to bake a lot from her book, I really want to. I love the ideas of her recipes, I love her writing and explaining and her inclusion of weights!
I made the Cheesecake Timbales and they are so cute. I also want to make the banana chiffon cake- have you ever made it? It looks very interesting and even good for passover!

Thanks for the tip on the bananas!
I’ll try it soon.

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 14 February 2014 01:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
McBrownie - 14 February 2014 12:02 AM

Hey FG,
I bought the Magnolia Bakery cookbook when I was in New York a few years ago. I baked the normal chocolate chip cookies, chocolate-chocolate chip cookies and the oatmeal cookies. Oh, and the PB cookies. Oh and the white-chocolate Hazelnut cheesecake! That’s a good one. I think I baked another thing but I can’t remember.
Their cheesecake recipes are for 10” pans, but I halve the recipe and use a 7” pan.

I didn’t bake anything else from the book- I don’t have it, but I saw the recipe online somewhere. I wish I had it, though!
I love Flo Braker, and even though I didn’t get a chance to bake a lot from her book, I really want to. I love the ideas of her recipes, I love her writing and explaining and her inclusion of weights!
I made the Cheesecake Timbales and they are so cute. I also want to make the banana chiffon cake- have you ever made it? It looks very interesting and even good for passover!

Thanks for the tip on the bananas!
I’ll try it soon.

Hi McBrownie,

I’ve got to get the Magnolia Bakery book. Which volume do you have?

I have baked several of Flo’s recipes. My brother in law is crazy about her Eggnog Poundcake. It is pictured on the cover of the book. I use her method of creaming whenever I have to cream in a recipe. She must have learned it from Chef Bo Frieberg because his method is similar. I have all of her books except the one on miniatures. I believe she has a recipe or two in Baking With Julia.

I haven’t tried the Banana Chiffon. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. There are so many recipes in her book, I haven’t even scratched the surface.

Posted: 14 February 2014 01:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-06-02

I have “the complete magnolia bakery cookbook” which has all of the recipes from the bakery’s previous books.
[There is another book, which is called something like “at home with magnolia bakery”, which was released after “the complete” one, that has new recipes- I do not have it. It’s also a cookbook, not just about baking].
Oh, I just remembered that I also made the magic bars/hello dolly bars one day for the last class in my anthropology seminar last year. It was a hit!

Yes, I think she does, too. A genoise of some sort. I remember the first time I saw her was on Baking with Julia [on PBS’ site].

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 14 February 2014 10:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

That book is now on my wish list. Thanks McBrownie!

Posted: 16 February 2014 12:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-06-02

No problem!

So… I made your signature cake today!
At first I wanted to use the 3 bananas in my freezer, but after defroting them [and peeling them] [and BTW they did not leek at all- weird], the total weight was barely 200g. maybe 180g. So I added another regular banana [not frozen], and in mint eating-condition [= blemished skin, but not black on the outside and brown on the inside]. In the end I think it was for the better because I got a textural variety banana-wise.
I also baked the cake longer- for about 60 minutes. I took it out when a skewer came out with sticky banana-ness, but not wet batter. Not sure why it took longer, but whatever; the cake is De-lish!
I love that it’s sturdy, but tender. A lot of banana breads are really soft and kinda squishy [maybe because of the quick-bread mixing method], but this cake is proper-cake-textured! To me, anyway.
I also love the streusel, but it’s a bit too sweet for me. Next time I think I’ll make it with 50g sugar.

BTW, how do you cut the cake? With a serrated knife? Or a smooth one? Do you “sew”, or “slash” it?
I tried all combinations and it was awkward regardless.

Thanks for the recommendation for the recipe- I can’t wait to try other recipes from the book!

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 16 February 2014 01:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
McBrownie - 16 February 2014 12:17 PM

No problem!

So… I made your signature cake today!
At first I wanted to use the 3 bananas in my freezer, but after defroting them [and peeling them] [and BTW they did not leek at all- weird], the total weight was barely 200g. maybe 180g. So I added another regular banana [not frozen], and in mint eating-condition [= blemished skin, but not black on the outside and brown on the inside]. In the end I think it was for the better because I got a textural variety banana-wise.
I also baked the cake longer- for about 60 minutes. I took it out when a skewer came out with sticky banana-ness, but not wet batter. Not sure why it took longer, but whatever; the cake is De-lish!
I love that it’s sturdy, but tender. A lot of banana breads are really soft and kinda squishy [maybe because of the quick-bread mixing method], but this cake is proper-cake-textured! To me, anyway.
I also love the streusel, but it’s a bit too sweet for me. Next time I think I’ll make it with 50g sugar.

BTW, how do you cut the cake? With a serrated knife? Or a smooth one? Do you “sew”, or “slash” it?
I tried all combinations and it was awkward regardless.

Thanks for the recommendation for the recipe- I can’t wait to try other recipes from the book!

Hi McBrownie,

I’m so glad you liked the recipe. I always use 255g of banana. Most times, it is not more than 2 bananas.  Perhaps freezing changed the consistency. What flour did you use? I used cake flour which is bleached. Unbleached also might account for the change in consistency when slicing. My cake bakes no longer than 50 minutes.

I was actually going to ask you which knife you use. The cheesecake on your blog is sliced to perfection!  I use a serrated bread knife for loaf cakes. My knife is MAC 10 INCH BREAD KNIFE.

Flo’s streusel is my favorite streusel.  I get a lot of compliments on my streusel. We do like sweet though.

I went to the library yesterday and borrowed More Magnolia among several other books. I am excited because there is a lot of recipes I am eager to try.

I’m so glad you will be trying more Flo recipes. Please let me know which recipes you bake.

Posted: 16 February 2014 02:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-06-02
Flour Girl - 16 February 2014 01:18 PM

Hi McBrownie,

I’m so glad you liked the recipe. I always use 255g of banana. Most times, it is not more than 2 bananas.  Perhaps freezing changed the consistency. What flour did you use? I used cake flour which is bleached. Unbleached also might account for the change in consistency when slicing. My cake bakes no longer than 50 minutes.

I was actually going to ask you which knife you use. The cheesecake on your blog is sliced to perfection!  I use a serrated bread knife for loaf cakes. My knife is MAC 10 INCH BREAD KNIFE.

Flo’s streusel is my favorite streusel.  I get a lot of compliments on my streusel. We do like sweet though.

I went to the library yesterday and borrowed More Magnolia among several other books. I am excited because there is a lot of recipes I am eager to try.

I’m so glad you will be trying more Flo recipes. Please let me know which recipes you bake.

Yeah, maybe freezing did change the consistency- but does it change the weight as well? Sounds odd to my completely-unknowledgeable mind.
I used AP UNbleached [no bleaching here] + cornstarch. It could be the reason, you are right. But I thought it makes the cake less tender. I don’t know; The thing that’s giving me a hard time is the streusel- It doesn’t stay in one place, and sometimes when I cut, it acts as a big streusel-layer rather then little streusel morsels, and the streusel “breaks” across the cake. And crumbs all over.

Thanks! For my cheesecakes I use a Santoku knife, because the blade is so big [not just long], so when I cut a slice, even when I go to the bottom of the cake, the knife still acts as a barrier between the cut part of the slice and the rest of the cake [gee that sounds confusing, I hope you understand!]. and the blade itself is kind of thick, so it really seperates the cake when I cut it.
Your knife looks spectecular! Wow, 10.5 inches, I bet it’s easy to slice layers with it!

I do like the streusel, I just think it’s a bit too sweet for the cake underneath, to my taste, But it could be because I use slightly less bananas then called for [230g].

Oh, it’s good that you gound Magnolia! I think that book has some oil-based recipes in the quick-breads section!
I have not made any cakes from Magnolia but I sure do hope you’ll like it. They sound good, anyway.

I will keep you updated on my relationship with Flo’s recipes smile

Signature 

McBrownie.

2 of 3

‹‹ Kramer Layer cake??      dense vs light cake ››