Help on chiffon cake
Posted: 18 January 2014 04:08 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2013-07-16

I made the orange glow chiffon layer cake in my springform pan with the rose nail. Came out soectacularly, except the cake fell out of the pan while cooling upside down - it didn’t hold on to the cake pan sides, even though they were not greased at all. I made a plain lemon chiffon cake in my tube pan next, also not greased, and the same thing happened. In both cases, some of the cake did stick to the sides, resulting in ripped cake edges and an ugly end result. I love the texture and flavor of the chiffon cakes, but I wnat them to look nice too. Any ideas?

Posted: 18 January 2014 04:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  904
Joined  2009-05-25

There has been a fair bit of discussion about this on the forum.  I started taking the internal temperature of my chiffons and angel foods and found I had success when the internal temperature is around 203 -204 F.  I can’t speak as to why this may be…perhaps enough moisture has evaporated from the cake that it doesn’t steam itself out of the pan.  I know of a few instances where I wasn’t 100% sure about doneness and then I ended up with a flop so I started to “overbake” my cakes (ie:  bake longer than I think necessary) and it seems to have helped.

Posted: 18 January 2014 04:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2013-07-16

Thank you! I will try taking the temperature next time.

Posted: 18 January 2014 09:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  904
Joined  2009-05-25

Is there any chance you are using a non-stick pan?  That will also cause cake to release upon inversion.