flavour combinations for eclairs
Posted: 19 January 2014 01:56 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2013-03-29

Currently on a patisserie course and for an assessment I have to make eclairs. We were given a recipe for chocolate eclairs filled witg whipped cream. But in order to get the top marks we are allowwd to change the recipe. Anyone have any good recipes for flavours other than chocolate. Also I prefer a creme patisserie filling

Posted: 19 January 2014 06:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2007-11-27

My favorite recipe for pate a choux is from Pichet Ong; it is so delicious I will eat the unfilled puffs!  Is your assignment to make chocolate pate a choux and use plain whipped cream as the filling?  Nothing beats the classics, and I’m with you - a well made, crisp eclair filled with very cold vanilla pastry cream is heavenly.  Chocolate and hazelnut would be nice (you can use praline paste to flavor the pastry cream); coffee would also be terrific.  You could turn it around and do a regular choux with a chocolate cinnamon cream filling…

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 20 January 2014 07:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  611
Joined  2007-11-18
mrmajeika - 19 January 2014 01:56 PM

Currently on a patisserie course and for an assessment I have to make eclairs. We were given a recipe for chocolate eclairs filled witg whipped cream. But in order to get the top marks we are allowwd to change the recipe. Anyone have any good recipes for flavours other than chocolate. Also I prefer a creme patisserie filling

MRMAJEIKA:
  Good morning. Many years ago when I attended culinary college as a baking student, in the pastry class our chef instructor was from Germany. He was the retired assistant exective pastry chef from the Hilton Hotel chain. His recipe was just the normal eclair recipe but inside we used pastry cream & a thin layer on top of the pastry cream of WHIPPED CREAM.
DELICIOUS was not the word I hope you will consider it for your eclairs.

Good luck in your baking project & enjoy the rest of the day.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 20 January 2014 02:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  718
Joined  2012-01-12

I once made Pumpkin flavor filling. But it was for Harvest or Fall season. And on the outside instead of chocolate I used clear caramel.  And another occasion I used chocolate Pate Choux and filled it with very, very mild orange flavor and chocolate mousse filling.

Posted: 20 January 2014 06:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-03-29

The assignment I think is for chocolate eclairs but we have been told that we are allowed to make a pastry cream filling if we wish rather than whipped cream. How would I make them coffee flavoured and what glaze would go on top

Posted: 21 January 2014 09:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-27

I would still use a dark chocolate glaze - because a white one might look “off” against the chocolate shell - it may look more ghostly depending on how opaque it is or isn’t; you could always put a white line (stripe) for contrast) or perhaps some cocoa powder.

For coffee extract, you could take some powdered espresso (like Medaglia d"Oro, it’s an instant coffee granule) if you have it in your area; you might have a coffee extract recipe in your pastry school book of recipes; add it to the finished creme pat to taste. If you don’t have a powdered espresso, you might be able to find the stuff that Starbucks sells called VIA, I’ve been using it to flavor simple syrup and it works nicely. 

Either of the powdered coffees are very fine, but you will find it easier to incorporate if you dissolve it in a small amount of water - just a few teaspoons because you want it to be concentrated).  I used the VIA today to do the simple syrup when we were soaking rounds of biscuit making individual chocolate velvet mousse cakes, I think one of the packets is meant to be used in 8 oz of water if it was for drinking, but you would only use barely a tablespoon of water to dissolve one of those packets in to flavor your creme pat.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 24 January 2014 06:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-03-29

Now I am thinking to make chocolate and hazelnut eclairs. I would make a creme pat filling and flavour it with hazelnut paste which I will make by putting praline in a processor. Then glaze the top with chocolate fondant. Would this work. Would the hazelnut paste be smooth enough. Don’t want any grainy texture.  I kneed to show creativity, flair and finesse. How could I do this

Posted: 25 January 2014 08:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4839
Joined  2008-04-16

Peanut butter pastry cream is super yummy and would be great with the chocolate smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 31 January 2014 08:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-27
mrmajeika - 24 January 2014 06:40 AM

Now I am thinking to make chocolate and hazelnut eclairs. I would make a creme pat filling and flavour it with hazelnut paste which I will make by putting praline in a processor. Then glaze the top with chocolate fondant. Would this work. Would the hazelnut paste be smooth enough. Don’t want any grainy texture.  I kneed to show creativity, flair and finesse. How could I do this

Sorry, it’s been busy at work and I haven’t been paying attention :(

I just buy the commercial hazelnut praline (from Albert Uster, but it comes in a 13# pail and it takes me a couple months to go through it all) because it’s so smooth, much smoother than what I could get grinding it in my food processor.  I think the crunch from chopped nuts might do well to cover any grainy-ness you might have from doing your own paste, just throw a little in and make sure your piping tip is wide enough to accommodate the chopped nuts.

Agree with Julie about peanut butter and chocolate!

Signature