Keeping cake warm
Posted: 25 November 2008 01:29 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1355
Joined  2008-09-27

I’m considering making a flourless cake for Thanksgiving and it should be served warm.  I may not have access to an oven; is a chafing dish (or a hot plate) a reasonable way to keep it at serving temperature for quite a while?

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 25 November 2008 01:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Hi Charles - What kind of flourless cake are you making?  Do you mean Rose’s Chocolate Oblivion Truffle Torte?  If so, it should be served at room temp.  I also make a flourless chocolate cake recipe from Cook’s Illustrated that is chilled overnight and then sits at room temp for 30 minutes before serving.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 25 November 2008 02:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
Patrincia - 25 November 2008 05:44 PM

Hi Charles - What kind of flourless cake are you making?  Do you mean Rose’s Chocolate Oblivion Truffle Torte?  If so, it should be served at room temp.  I also make a flourless chocolate cake recipe from Cook’s Illustrated that is chilled overnight and then sits at room temp for 30 minutes before serving.

Actually, I’m considering Julia Child’s Le Gateau Victoire Au Chocolat, Mousseline, which she recommends serving warm.  If that appears impractical, I will probably do the CI’s recipe.

Thanks

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 25 November 2008 02:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Oh I see.  How about one of those insulated serving carriers to keep it warm.  Pyrex makes several sizes.  Another thought - you can purchase hot/cold grocery bags for just a couple of bucks at most grocery stores.  They’re usually made of some kind of insulated foil like material, but I have also seen them made out of heavier weight nylon fabric (similar to the hot boxes pizza delivery guys use).

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 25 November 2008 03:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
Patrincia - 25 November 2008 06:42 PM

How about one of those insulated serving carriers to keep it warm.  Pyrex makes several sizes.  Another thought - you can purchase hot/cold grocery bags for just a couple of bucks at most grocery stores.  They’re usually made of some kind of insulated foil like material, but I have also seen them made out of heavier weight nylon fabric (similar to the hot boxes pizza delivery guys use).

That may be the way to go.  If I had more time, I’d experiment.  I’d like it to stay warm on the table top too.  But you gave me a thought.  They’ve got those pads with some sort of gel that you can heat up.  I might could find one large enough just to rest the pan on.  I’ll check it out.

Thanks!

Signature 

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 25 November 2008 06:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  253
Joined  2007-11-29

OR a heating pad set on low. but be careful that the chocolate doesn’t melt!

jen

Signature 

http://www.ellavanilla.com

Posted: 25 November 2008 07:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
jen68 - 25 November 2008 10:49 PM

OR a heating pad set on low. but be careful that the chocolate doesn’t melt!
jen

I thought of that too, but was concerned that others might be using up all the plugs. I still may go that route.

Signature 

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 25 November 2008 10:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15
CharlesT - 25 November 2008 07:49 PM
Patrincia - 25 November 2008 06:42 PM

How about one of those insulated serving carriers to keep it warm.  Pyrex makes several sizes.  Another thought - you can purchase hot/cold grocery bags for just a couple of bucks at most grocery stores.  They’re usually made of some kind of insulated foil like material, but I have also seen them made out of heavier weight nylon fabric (similar to the hot boxes pizza delivery guys use).

That may be the way to go.  If I had more time, I’d experiment.  I’d like it to stay warm on the table top too.  But you gave me a thought.  They’ve got those pads with some sort of gel that you can heat up.  I might could find one large enough just to rest the pan on.  I’ll check it out.

Thanks!

Yes, the Pyrex brand insulated carriers I mentioned come with hot and cold pads… you either freeze one or boil the other to suit your needs.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 25 November 2008 11:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
Patrincia - 26 November 2008 02:51 AM

Yes, the Pyrex brand insulated carriers I mentioned come with hot and cold pads… you either freeze one or boil the other to suit your needs.

Ah, perfect, thank you.

Signature 

—Hans Reichenbach