Callebaut Cocoa Extra Brute Amber Cocoa Powder
Posted: 21 January 2014 05:58 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  909
Joined  2009-05-25

Hi.  I’ve just landed some Callebaut Cocoa Extra Brute Amber Cocoa Powder, and I have to say I’m not impressed with the flavour.  I’ve used Green and Blacks (and loved it) and also Bensdorp ... that was good too.  This is weak tasting, has a strange smell (stinky feet) and when I measured for the Deep Choco Passion Cake today, it weighs way more per cup than other cocoas.  The cake has a very translucent color and not a deep chocolaty taste that I get from the other cocoas.  I tried increasing the mass by measuring by volume, but the bloomed mixture was way too thick (I’ve made the cake several times and know the consistency).  I have very limited access to cocoas (can’t get G&B here anymore and I used to get Bensdorp from King Arthur flour but they increased shipping to Canada) unless I wish to incur huge shipping charges.  Are there other cocoa brands that are Dutch Processed that you can recommend?  Also, it’s very important to have the 20-22% fat content.

Posted: 21 January 2014 11:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1360
Joined  2008-09-27

Callebaut Cocoa was top-rated by Cooks Illustrated a few years ago, but it wasn’t this Extra Brute product. In fact, the only Extra Brute I see is made by Barry. Since the companies are related, it may be the same product or it might not. I bought a 10 pound bag of Callebaut a year or so ago, so I’m situated for quite a while.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 22 January 2014 12:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

I read many reviews that said great things… perhaps my palate is not refined enough to appreciate the cocoa, but I find it weak…that’s the best way to describe it.  I have 5 lbs. to work through…grrr.

Posted: 22 January 2014 12:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
Sherrie - 22 January 2014 12:13 AM

I read many reviews that said great things… perhaps my palate is not refined enough to appreciate the cocoa, but I find it weak…that’s the best way to describe it.  I have 5 lbs. to work through…grrr.

The Barry website doesn’t say this product is intended for baked goods; it says the intended application is for coating truffles and such. I’m not sure what the “Brute” is intended to mean…I read that it means “coarse”, so maybe the grain size is large. If so, it might not release its flavor as readily.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 22 January 2014 01:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

Hmmn.  It’s very finely textured ...one of the most powdery cocoa’s I’ve ever used.  I ended up buying with a credit to a baking store…it was the only kind they carried.  Too funny, because I did use it to coat some truffles and was put off by the stinky feet smell…so I actually prefer it in baked goods where the smell is masked by other ingredients.  Most of the reviews indicated it was good in baking….but perhaps it’s not intended as such and I should try in other applications..

Posted: 22 January 2014 08:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
Sherrie - 22 January 2014 01:17 AM

It’s very finely textured ...one of the most powdery cocoa’s I’ve ever used.

Well, that blows that theory. It’s aggravating that the manufacturer’s site doesn’t provide more detailed information about their products. I’d really like to know what information that “Extra Brute” is supposed to convey.

Perhaps the cocoa is just old? The site lists the shelf life as two years.

Signature 

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 22 January 2014 02:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2011-06-02

Hi Sherrie!
I have only bought the Cacao Barry Extra Brute Cocoa Powder [jeez] once- I don’t recall it having an “amber” somewhere on it. The one I used was really dark and really flavourful. I think it was dutch-processed. If I could still find it I would totally buy it again!

Reegarding the “amber” one you have- I, too, see on their site that it’s not really meant for baking: “Ideal product for mousses, creams, biscuits, ice-creams, sorbets, confectionery coverings, decoration, hot chocolates.” Maybe you could use it in cooking- like making a [cocoa-] fudge sauce?
BTW I don’t think the amber one is dutched.

What about Valrhona [I LOVE IT], or the regular callebaut?
I’m not from Canada/America so I don’t know what brands you have, but when I was in NY a couple of years ago, I bought Droste and thought it was good [not sure about its fat content].

Edit: Actually, you know who would know what to do with it? Alice Medrich. Try sending her a tweet or commenting on her site/blog- she really helped me one time with a chocolate genoise [it was her recipe though].

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 22 January 2014 03:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

Thanks, McBrownie,

I am sure I will find a way to use it up!  I’m more particular about things than my family is ... I’m just annoyed that the cocoa isn’t something I like and I need to find a decent substitute.  The only easily accessible cocoa here is Fry’s.  It is actually a good cocoa and I love the flavour and aroma, just too low in the fat content.  Otherwise, even Hershey’s is hard to get.  There are a few specialty cocoas (cocoamino, dagoba) but as far as Dutched cocoas with high fat content, I’m needing a good replacement.  So…I might be able to try the other Cacao Barry…variety.  I did confirm that I have this one:

http://www.cacao-barry.com/uken/136

So I think it’s the Extra Brute (which is in bold print) and lower down on the bag is Amber Cocoa Powder.  The product code:  DCP-22SP-760 matches the Extra Brute code when I opened .pdf file on the website.  So I guess I just don’t care for the cocoa.  It is still well within the expiry.  Valrhona is another tough to find cocoa here.  Thanks for the suggestions.  I will begin another search! 

Posted: 22 January 2014 04:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2011-06-02

I totally understand you. There was a time when I could not get Skippy peanut butter for MONTHS, only the natural stuff and I was going crazy. Luckily Skippy is back.
BTW my go-to cocoa is a local cocoa, which is a low-fat dutch cocoa and it is honestly superior to many of the fancy, expensive, cocoa powders I have bought in the past, and when my Valrhona runs out I very happily use it, with just a tad difference in aroma. Have you tried using Fry’s intead of your usual cocoa, despite of fat difference? You might be surprised [though I would try a small batch].

I tried searching for some canadian brands online, and found this handy thread:
http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/520211

I hope this could be of any help!
I haven’t read the entire thread, but saw some suggestions for Van Houten- I actually have some in my pantry right now and it’s a nice brand. Not as dark [in color and smell- I have tried a side by side taste test] as Valrhona or my local cocoa, but good nonetheless. My box is just 7 ounces so if that size is available over there as well- you could try buying a small box and see if you like it!
Good luck!

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 22 January 2014 05:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2011-10-15

Sherrie, Vanilla Food Company carries Valrhona cocoa. They have a reasonable flat shipping rate and very prompt service (in my experience) but unfortunately they only offer 1 size of package.

Here’s the link:
http://www.vanillafoodcompany.ca/Cocoa-Powder-3-kg-6-6-lbs-Valrhona-p/valr-coc00159.htm