dense vs light cake
Posted: 27 January 2014 03:45 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2014-01-27

Hello all

I would like to make a cake from the following ingredients and I’d like it to be as light and airy as possible:

flour
maple syrup
cocoa powder
eggs
milk

I made a delicious one with the same ingredients except I used sunflower oil instead of eggs. That one turned out to be dense-ish. I’m hoping I can achieve a more fluffy and lighter cake if I use eggs instead of the oil?

So generic query: do eggs make a cake lighter/more airy/more moist/less dense? How many eggs should one use for your average cake, is there a case of too many?

Thanks so much in advance
Susie

Posted: 27 January 2014 04:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3147
Joined  2010-04-25

Okey dokey, schmokey.

This is a tough one, and I am not going to be able to answer it, but I can give you a little info.  If you post your other cake’s recipe, someone might be able to tell you why it was dense-ish.  Usually, oil makes for a light, spongy cake (like a cake mix).

Often—usually—a “regular” cake contains some overt fat, like oil or butter.  Oil will generally be light and spongy, butter will be a bit more substantial, but neither would be, by definition, dense, unless something else in the recipe caused it to be so.

Eggs can make a super light cake or a dense one, it depends on how they’re handled and mixed, and I don’t know enough about this to explain it.

Also, according to Rose, milk and cocoa powder to not usually go well together in cake—milk brings out the bitterness in cocoa.  Usually, in a cake with cocoa powder, cocoa powder is “bloomed” in boiling water, and the water is the cake’s liquid.

Here’s what I would do.  I would try this cake:  http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Maple-Cake-with-Maple-Syrup-Frosting-358216  which is really good.  If you want to use cocoa powder—which I wouldn’t, but obviously, everyone’s taste buds are different—instead of using all flour, sub about 1/4 of the flour (maybe a little less) with cocoa powder.  Better yet, weight the flour and cocoa powder.  The weight the Baked guys (who made this recipe) use for their cakes is somewhere on this site—Flour Girl has it—but I cannot find it.  It’s easy to make a cake too dense using volume measurements, beacause it’s easy to use too much flour or flour-like ingredients (like cocoa powder) by accident, as volume measuring is inconsistent.

Good luck!

—ak

Posted: 27 January 2014 05:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2014-01-27

Thanks v much. I can’t have butter, unfortunately and I can’t have applesauce instead either (sometimes substitute mashed bananas, but that obviously gives a cake a banana-y taste). Perhaps I used the wrong word with dense, it wasn’t that dense, I was just wondering whether it could be made even lighter?

The recipe I used was this one, without the coffee:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAEYlx8bDF0

it was not at all bitter (I used unsweetened soya milk and normal self-raising white wheat flour).

Posted: 27 January 2014 06:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1352
Joined  2008-09-27

Without some fat, the cake is likely to be tough and not very tasty; much of the flavor is conveyed through the fat. The only way you’re likely to get a fluffy product with those ingredients is by whipping the eggs separately.

You may want to investigate the cake type of “genoise”.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 27 January 2014 06:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  670
Joined  2012-01-12

Do u want a spongey texture ? Like Angel food cake, the more meringue the lighter.

Posted: 28 January 2014 03:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2014-01-27
CharlesT - 27 January 2014 06:24 PM

Without some fat, the cake is likely to be tough and not very tasty; much of the flavor is conveyed through the fat. The only way you’re likely to get a fluffy product with those ingredients is by whipping the eggs separately.

You may want to investigate the cake type of “genoise”.

Genoise I believe uses butter (the one thing I can’t have) so that’s a no-no :(

Posted: 28 January 2014 09:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1352
Joined  2008-09-27
susie1611 - 28 January 2014 03:19 AM

It uses melted butter, so probably any liquid fat would work.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 28 January 2014 01:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2014-01-27
CharlesT - 28 January 2014 09:13 AM
susie1611 - 28 January 2014 03:19 AM

It uses melted butter, so probably any liquid fat would work.

That’s great! thanks. I have nothing against vegetable oil for instance!

Posted: 29 January 2014 08:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  589
Joined  2007-11-18
susie1611 - 27 January 2014 03:45 PM

Hello all

I would like to make a cake from the following ingredients and I’d like it to be as light and airy as possible:

flour
maple syrup
cocoa powder
eggs
milk

I made a delicious one with the same ingredients except I used sunflower oil instead of eggs. That one turned out to be dense-ish. I’m hoping I can achieve a more fluffy and lighter cake if I use eggs instead of the oil?

So generic query: do eggs make a cake lighter/more airy/more moist/less dense? How many eggs should one use for your average cake, is there a case of too many?

Thanks so much in advance
Susie

SUSIE1611:
  Good morning. Susie, you can consider a “ROULADE” (Jelly Roll) style cake. It has no butter in it.

Susie, you can consider a “CHEESECAKE” as well It has no place in it for butter.

Susie you say you would consider employing veg oil for the butter. Many recipes lend themselves for a subst. I know how to do that.
Susie, I really would consider using HONEY rather than maple syrup in your recipes.

Susie, if you select a recipe using butter, post it & we will see if it can be made using oil for butter.

Susie, I can eat butter but if I taste it I will spit it out & then wash my mouth out. TERRIBLE taste.

Enjoy the rest of the day young lady.

~FRESHKID.