1 of 2
Cinnamon Crumb Surprise
Posted: 30 January 2014 11:04 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1606
Joined  2011-02-17

I baked the Cinnamon Crumb Surprise from TBB many, many times but this time I did it differently.

Based on ROSE’S CURRENT BLOG ENTRY I used an 8-cup tube pan in place of a loaf pan. I had been having problems with the streusel topping becoming swallowed by the cake, like quick sand. Although the result was a very interesting and delicious cake, I wanted to create the “normal” presentation.

Using the tube pan was a big success. My family thought the cake was even better.

I drizzled the cake with a vanilla drizzle consisting of 87g confectioner’s sugar, 1TB milk and 1tsp vanilla.

We loved it.

Image Attachments
unnamed-1.jpgunnamed.jpg

Posted: 30 January 2014 02:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

That is beautiful, FG, and it looks absolutely delicious.  I don’t think there can ever be enough cinnamon in the world!

Posted: 30 January 2014 03:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Thanks Anne! It’s really delicious. As you know, I have been having issues with the top. The tube pan seems to be the trick.

Posted: 30 January 2014 04:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  608
Joined  2007-11-18

FLOUR GIRL:
Good afternoon. I am enjoying viewing your cake very much I think you have done a good job of it. I must ask which baking book is this TBB. I may have it. I would like to scrutinize this recipe that you say you are having a top surface problem with

Enjoy the rest of the day Flour Girl.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 30 January 2014 05:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Thank you ~FRESHKID.
I am referring to Rose’s “The Bread Bible”.  This is a great recipe. I used apple this time but I have used pear, blueberries and a combo of blueberries and peaches. I think this is one of the few times the streusel stayed where it belongs. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Posted: 01 February 2014 07:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  608
Joined  2007-11-18
Flour Girl - 30 January 2014 05:33 PM

Thank you ~FRESHKID.
I am referring to Rose’s “The Bread Bible”.  This is a great recipe. I used apple this time but I have used pear, blueberries and a combo of blueberries and peaches. I think this is one of the few times the streusel stayed where it belongs. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

FLOUR GIRL:
  Good morning. Thank you for the quick reply. I have scrutinized this recipe for proper balance in the dictates of bakiing science.
There is a good reason why the crumbs get swallowed up as you described.

Notice the weight of the fruit quite heavy isn’t it. We need a foundation for it. Notice the limited amount of sourcream. Yet to neutrilize it’s acidity doesn’t require 3/8ths tsp of baking soda. As you know soda is 4X the strength of baking powder. So, the powder is limitmed thinking the soda will provide the lift.

In correct thinking. We need to make the proper adjustments in order for your baked product becomes a viable baked product.

I/8th tsp of soda will suffice for the 1/2, cup of sour cream. You must then adjust the powder to 1,1/4 tsp for the lifting of the apples & to provide the enlargement of the gas bubbles in the dough to provide the strength for the weight of the APPLES as well as the CRUMBS of this baked product.

I hope I explained it in a way that you understand the why your baked product became a disappointment to you.

Enjoy the weekend my friend.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 01 February 2014 08:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4816
Joined  2008-04-16

Looks great!  smile  Good to know it works so well in the tube pan as that is a great shape for slicing/entertaining.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Three New Takes on a Classic Fall Dessert

Posted: 01 February 2014 11:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
~FRESHKID - 01 February 2014 07:42 AM
Flour Girl - 30 January 2014 05:33 PM

Thank you ~FRESHKID.

FLOUR GIRL:
  Good morning. Thank you for the quick reply. I have scrutinized this recipe for proper balance in the dictates of bakiing science.
There is a good reason why the crumbs get swallowed up as you described.

Notice the weight of the fruit quite heavy isn’t it. We need a foundation for it. Notice the limited amount of sourcream. Yet to neutrilize it’s acidity doesn’t require 3/8ths tsp of baking soda. As you know soda is 4X the strength of baking powder. So, the powder is limitmed thinking the soda will provide the lift.

In correct thinking. We need to make the proper adjustments in order for your baked product becomes a viable baked product.

I/8th tsp of soda will suffice for the 1/2, cup of sour cream. You must then adjust the powder to 1,1/4 tsp for the lifting of the apples & to provide the enlargement of the gas bubbles in the dough to provide the strength for the weight of the APPLES as well as the CRUMBS of this baked product.

I hope I explained it in a way that you understand the why your baked product became a disappointment to you.

Enjoy the weekend my friend.

~FRESHKID.

Hi ~FRESHKID and thank you for your help.

Actually, I did notice the amount of leavener seemed small but I never questioned it. The ‘Pointers For Success’ for this recipe specify “It is essential that the oven be hot enough to set the structure quickly to support the crumb topping and keep it from sinking”.  I have 3 oven thermometers inside the oven which all concur with the temperature the oven has been set.

I will increase the baking powder to 1 1/4 tsp next time I make this recipe and report my results to you.

I don’t actually use the entire 130g of apple. I slice the apple thinner than 1/4 inch and only use enough apple to create a layer. My dog waits by my feet when I bake this cake because she loves apples and she gets what is left.

I must say though, this cake is even more delicious when the crumbs are forced into the cake. When I did go to a bakery (I never go anymore since I’ve been baking) I always chose the ugly cookies and cakes. I don’t know, they were just appealing to me, more interesting I suppose.

Thank you! Have a wonderful weekend grin

Posted: 01 February 2014 11:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Julie - 01 February 2014 08:57 AM

Looks great!  smile  Good to know it works so well in the tube pan as that is a great shape for slicing/entertaining.

Thanks Julie! It is a little more dressed-up for entertaining and certainly easy to serve. I think the drizzle aids in that too.

Thank you!

Posted: 02 February 2014 08:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  304
Joined  2011-12-25

Hi Flourgirl,

Some pics of the Cinnamon Crumb Surprise that I baked tonight. Did you add the nuts? I always hesitate when it calls for nuts. Since I have this thing for toffee, I used it along with some pecans. It was good.

As you can see, I used a bundt pan and the top of it was kinda ugly…hehe…you cracked me up but after flipping it over, it was beautiful.

Thanks for inspiring me, once again. Have a wonderful evening. cheese

Abbey

Image Attachments
surprise1.jpgsurprise2.jpg

Posted: 02 February 2014 11:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

It looks great! Did you like it? I use tHe nuts just in the center of the cake. I don’t use the nuts on the top. Toffee sounds fabulous!

Your cake looks large. Did you use the same ingredient amounts as in the recipe?

I’m so glad you tried it! We love this cake.

Posted: 03 February 2014 03:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Same amount. Found it on the internet since I don’t own the The Bread Bible. Really had to pay attention because the recipe listed all the ingredients together for the filling, cake and topping. Had to follow the mixing procedure to know what went where. smile

It called for 1 1/2 c flour for the cake. I think the pictures just made it look bigger. But, man, was it good. I was so tired last night, I just put it in the fridge drawer, without any wrap. Thought I’d ruined it but a minute in the microwave and it was back to perfect this morning. 

I will definitely do that again. The apple really gave it a wonderful flavor as did the toffee.  I’m so glad you posted it. I really loved it.

PS. I’m watching for a good deal so I can have The Bread Bible. That was gr8!!!!

Posted: 03 February 2014 05:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

I’m so happy you enjoyed it! I tell you, that is one recipe that is hard to ruin. One time I skipped a step so I just mixed everything at once and it was still great!
I seriously need to get toffee. Do you use chips?

Posted: 03 February 2014 05:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Yep. Here you go. They have one with chocolate and one without. I always pick the one without chocolate, but the one with might be very good in certain recipes. Just like a Heath bar all crunched up in a bag. My favorite candy bar!
One day soon, I hope to make home made toffee. That would make for some really good desserts. smile

Image Attachments
heath.jpg

Posted: 03 February 2014 07:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Abbey,

Toffee is my favorite, too—definitely try some homemade.  It’s super easy to make and so wonderful—with or without nuts,  with or without chocolate!

—ak

Posted: 04 February 2014 08:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Hi ak-

I look forward to it and read some recipes this morning. I will do that soon. smile

Abbey

1 of 2

‹‹ No Knead Bread      Help with Photo Postings ››