2 of 2
Cinnamon Crumb Surprise
Posted: 04 February 2014 10:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1651
Joined  2011-02-17

Thanks Abbey and Anne. Definitely worth exploring.

Posted: 05 February 2014 01:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  338
Joined  2011-12-25

Hi Anne and Flourgirl,

I’m researching homemade toffee and suddenly remembered how much I like, okay love, peanut brittle. During the holidays, a local grocer sells Amish sweets. The only one I can’t resist is the brittle and even have a difficult time sharing. hehe smile

I have found Amish recipes for the brittle, so I’m working on just how I will create my own ‘recipe’. I will see what’s in the cupboard and wrangle up something special. I hope!!

Any ideas would be fun to hear about. Thanks

Abbey  

Posted: 05 February 2014 07:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

That sounds irresistible Abbey. I hope you post pics when you get this all together.

Have a gr8 evening!

Posted: 11 February 2014 09:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  338
Joined  2011-12-25

Hi Flourgirl..

I did try cooking the toffee, Sunday before last, but when I poured it onto the cookie sheet and after adding the chips, letting them melt and adding macadamia nuts, I noticed there was a moat of melted butter around the hardened sugar. I googled and learned it happens frequently if you don’t do it “just right”. One gal called it “separation anxiety”.

It seemed the solutions given online were contradictory but I tried again, that same night, but saw it was doing the exact same thing.  It might have worked but I was gun shy after the first attempt and didn’t let it cook long enough.

I read some more today and found something that made sense. Use slow heat with constant but gentle stirring. I will try that and hopefully get a good batch to show you..hope you are doing well dear girl:)

Abbey

Posted: 11 February 2014 09:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1213
Joined  2009-11-24

Flour Girl, that looks delicious.  I often use a bundt instead of loaf….

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 12 February 2014 11:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 11 February 2014 09:01 PM

Hi Flourgirl..

I did try cooking the toffee, Sunday before last, but when I poured it onto the cookie sheet and after adding the chips, letting them melt and adding macadamia nuts, I noticed there was a moat of melted butter around the hardened sugar. I googled and learned it happens frequently if you don’t do it “just right”. One gal called it “separation anxiety”.

It seemed the solutions given online were contradictory but I tried again, that same night, but saw it was doing the exact same thing.  It might have worked but I was gun shy after the first attempt and didn’t let it cook long enough.

I read some more today and found something that made sense. Use slow heat with constant but gentle stirring. I will try that and hopefully get a good batch to show you..hope you are doing well dear girl:)

Abbey

“separation anxiety”

LOL

That makes a lot of sense. Good luck Abbey. I hope you get it down to how you like it.

I’m good, thank you!  I did a lot of baking yesterday Bacon-Cheese Muffins for dinner and a pumpkin bread with dates and walnuts from Baker’s Dozen-an older book. I’m taking a baking vacation today because I have a lot of running around to do but I’m thinking about Bran Muffins with dried cherries in place of the raisins for tomorrow.

Have a gr8 day Abbey grin

Posted: 12 February 2014 11:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
CRenee - 11 February 2014 09:37 PM

Flour Girl, that looks delicious.  I often use a bundt instead of loaf….

Thank you CRenee. The outcome of this recipe improved in the tube pan and you get nice, thick slices. I’ll definitely bake it again this way.

Posted: 12 February 2014 11:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  611
Joined  2007-11-18

FLOUR GIRL:
  Good morning. I also enjoy Bran muffins once in awhile I do bake them. I thought I might mention to you that you can macerate the dried cherries overnite with juice that you may have. You can use prune juice as well Does your recipe contain any??? It should. Also my friend, Molasses goes very very well in bran muffins. If it doesn’t have this ingredient you can subst. oz for oz with honey or some sugar about 10/15% worth. It is my secret in keeping this baked product moist & tasty as well,

Good luck in your bake & enjoy the rest of the day.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 12 February 2014 11:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
~FRESHKID - 12 February 2014 11:44 AM

FLOUR GIRL:
  Good morning. I also enjoy Bran muffins once in awhile I do bake them. I thought I might mention to you that you can macerate the dried cherries overnite with juice that you may have. You can use prune juice as well Does your recipe contain any??? It should. Also my friend, Molasses goes very very well in bran muffins. If it doesn’t have this ingredient you can subst. oz for oz with honey or some sugar about 10/15% worth. It is my secret in keeping this baked product moist & tasty as well,

~FRESHKID.

Good Morning ~FRESHKID,

What a great idea! I am replacing the raisins in the recipe with dried cherries because they are about to expire this month. I do have prune juice and I will try it. Thank you for the idea. I’ll macerate the cherries tonight and bake in the morning. The recipe does use molasses as well as brown sugar.

Are you a professional? You always give such excellent advice.

Thank you ~FRESHKID! Have a wonderful day.

Posted: 13 February 2014 06:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  611
Joined  2007-11-18
Flour Girl - 12 February 2014 11:53 AM

FLOUR GIRL:

~FRESHKID.

Good Morning ~FRESHKID,

What a great idea! I am replacing the raisins in the recipe with dried cherries because they are about to expire this month. I do have prune juice and I will try it. Thank you for the idea. I’ll macerate the cherries tonight and bake in the morning. The recipe does use molasses as well as brown sugar.

FLOUR GIRL:
  Good morning. Thank you for the timely reply. Just to answer your question Flour Girl, NO, I am not a prof baker….just a amatuer baker like everyone else.. I have attended culunary college as a baking student many years ago. I study BAKING SCIENCE thru the many books that I have in my culinary library.  This is my hobby to learn all that I can about why there are failures & successes in it’s chemistry. I am near 83, years old now,  the aforementioned & helping others to understand baking & the culinary arts & the stock market keep me busy all day.

Good luck in your baking & enjoy the rest of the day my friend.

~FRESHKID.

I hope you will post the results of the bran muffins.

Posted: 13 February 2014 10:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
~FRESHKID - 13 February 2014 06:31 AM
Flour Girl - 12 February 2014 11:53 AM

FLOUR GIRL:

~FRESHKID.

Good Morning ~FRESHKID,

FLOUR GIRL:
  Good morning. Thank you for the timely reply. Just to answer your question Flour Girl, NO, I am not a prof baker….just a amatuer baker like everyone else.. I have attended culunary college as a baking student many years ago. I study BAKING SCIENCE thru the many books that I have in my culinary library.  This is my hobby to learn all that I can about why there are failures & successes in it’s chemistry. I am near 83, years old now,  the aforementioned & helping others to understand baking & the culinary arts & the stock market keep me busy all day.

Good luck in your baking & enjoy the rest of the day my friend.

~FRESHKID.

I hope you will post the results of the bran muffins.

Good Morning!

I would never have guessed you are in your 80’s. Your posts are full of enthusiasm. You must really love your craft/hobby. You are very interesting, ~FRESHKID. Thank you for sharing this information with me.

I thoroughly enjoy reading your very informative posts. It is a pleasure to learn from you, my friend.

I wanted to write to you today to tell you I’m not able to bake those bran muffins today. I realized tomorrow is Valentine’s Day and have to bake for the occasion. However, I will be baking the bran muffins on Friday or Saturday, at the latest.

Thank you so much.  Have a wonderful day cool smile

2 of 2

‹‹ No Knead Bread      Help with Photo Postings ››