Leftover Brandied Cherries - Looking for a cake (other than chocolate)
Posted: 03 February 2014 10:17 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3149
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, all!

I have a bunch of brandied cherries that I would like to use in a cake, but I don’t want to go chocolate.  These are the DFC w/Midnight Ganache brandied cherries—i.e., dried cherries, brandy and some golden syrup (not the kind made with fresh cherries).

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

—ak

Posted: 03 February 2014 06:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  903
Joined  2009-05-25

Hi Anne,

Have you considered as a topping for ice cream?  Perhaps a Cherries Jubilee of sorts? Also wondering if they would offer a slight sweetness to a wild rice salad?  Or perhaps tossed in with some sauteed green beans and toasted almonds?  Definitely find a use for them!!

Posted: 05 February 2014 11:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks, Sherrie!  I am definitely looking for a cake here.  I hear they’re great on ice cream, though, as you suggested!!!!!  But, not to worry, if need be, I’ll eat them one-by-one, over time—they will not go to waste!

Posted: 07 February 2014 12:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  136
Joined  2010-01-18

You could always try them in Chocolate Cherry Almond Poundcake (TCB) - altho ones made with fresh cherries are called for, the ones you have might work ok too. I found the fresh boozy cherries all sunk to the botton anyways - but the taste was divine!

Posted: 07 February 2014 04:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks—it sounds great, but I’m trying to do something non-chocolate.

Posted: 07 February 2014 05:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  136
Joined  2010-01-18

I was thinking that since the only chocolate in that recipe is grated dk bits, you could probably either use white or leave that out entirely. The almond paste and hazelnuts already provide a wonderful palette of flavours with the cherries adding a tangy counterpoint to it! Or you could always just munch them a few at the time! Parhaps in a nice trifle using white sponge cake and vanilla bean custard?

Posted: 08 February 2014 03:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Ooh, I see what you mean, kuchenbaaker!  Hmmm, that’s really worth considering!  Thank you!

‹‹ 11" Springform?      Orange Cake ››