Orange Cake
Posted: 03 February 2014 10:20 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3128
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, all!

I’m wanting to make an orange cake, and I found that a “regular” cake—I forget which I used (Downy Yellow or Buttermilk) with 2T. zest whirred with sugar made a perfect lemon cake.  Now I want to make an orange cake.  I figured I’d go 2T again, but I thought I’d concentrate 1 c. or orange juice down to 2T (in the microwave, as Rose suggests with some other recipe if you don’t use Seville oranges).  I was wondering if I did this if I should replace 1/2 t. baking powder with, say, 1/8 t. baking soda.

Any other orange thoughts would be welcome, as well.  I thought of going Orange Glow Chiffon, but my springfoam pan has non-stick sides, so I wasn’t sure if it would work.

Any thoughts, you master leaveners, you??? 

Thanks!

—ak

Posted: 03 February 2014 03:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1330
Joined  2008-09-27

The only orange thought I have is that orange juice is much less acidic than lemon juice, so if you add baking soda, you probably wouldn’t need as much as you might for lemon juice.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 05 February 2014 11:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3128
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks, CT!  I’ve seen cakes that have used orange juice, etc., without much (or any) BS, and I wondered why.  Maybe the acidity is light enough that it’s not even necessary.  Appreciated!

Posted: 05 February 2014 12:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1330
Joined  2008-09-27
Anne in NC - 05 February 2014 11:12 AM

Maybe the acidity is light enough that it’s not even necessary.

The difference in pH appears to be about 1.0; while that doesn’t sound like much, the scale is logarithmic, so lemon juice is about 10 times more acidic. That means an equivalent amount of orange juice would need about 1/10 as much baking soda. That’s a tiny fraction of a teaspoon, so, yeah, it seems rather pointless.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach