Ganache with 10% cream or milk
Posted: 03 February 2014 09:44 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  880
Joined  2009-05-25

Hi All,

Has anyone ever made ganache using regular milk (2%) or even 10% cream?  I’ve made some of the non-dairy alternatives on the blog, but in this case I just want to go lactose-free.  Reason I ask is that I’m a cake for a huge family birthday gathering and several of the kids have allergies…some to nuts, some to lactose, etc.  So…it seems if I use dairy free chocolate and possibly a lactose free milk I can get around the allergy problem.  Thoughts on proportion of milk to chocolate?  I’d hate to waste the chocolate but may need to sacrifice a small amount for testing!

Posted: 03 February 2014 10:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1333
Joined  2008-09-27

Why not Rose’s Midnight Ganache? It has a pretty small amount of cream and a lot of water, which equates to a highly thinned cream.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 04 February 2014 01:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  880
Joined  2009-05-25

Well, lo and behold we actually have 35% cream that’s lactose free!!!  Crisis averted.  Thanks, Charles, for the suggestion—I forgot about that one, though I’ve made it several years ago.  I’m not sure how sensitive the lactose intolerance is,  and whether the small amounts of cream/butter would be problematic.  I did mix up some 10% cream ganache—I used the ratio as for the non-dairy types on the blog…I found it very weak…so I added a little bloomed cocoa but this affected the smooth texture.  Will see how/if it sets up.

‹‹ Orange Cake      Scaling down cake ››