Something happened to waffles
Posted: 09 February 2014 03:54 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2008-01-24

Here I go on the waffle thing again.
I was thinking about making savory waffles recently. Curry with onion or cheese with a hint of garlic. It seemed like a new idea. As with so many ‘inspirations’ these days one is frequently disappointed by google. It turns out many other people have had the same idea almost to the point of a trend. I started reading recipes and I was surprised that they all used baking powder. I have made waffles for decades and always with beaten egg whites. No baking powder. Is this why I stopped ordering waffles out? I even checked a Rose recipe. Rose states that waffles made with egg whites don’t have the strength to overcome the weight of the waffle iron. Hunh? Every time I make waffles with egg whites the waffle iron gapes apart from the force of the rising waffle. Where could such an idea come from?  Is it just me? Am I the only one making waffles the ‘traditional’ way?

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 09 February 2014 12:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1363
Joined  2008-09-27

Beaten egg whites is the “correct” way to make waffles, and they even make better pancakes. But I rarely make waffles, because the best recipe I ever found had enormous quantities of butter and baked up so light and crispy that I had to eat *lots* of them.

Beating egg whites probably is a bit more intimidating for the random cook than using baking powder.

Cooking/baking is such a huge field than even acknowledged experts can make some claims that can’t be defended. CI, in one of their pancake recipes, claimed that pancakes made without baking soda will not brown, which is absurd. I took their recipe, replaced the baking soda with baking powder, and turned up the heat on the skillet, and they brown just fine.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 09 February 2014 05:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2008-01-24

Thank you Charles for that validation. Waffles are not kind to my waistline. One reason why I was thinking savory. Because when you get down to the fundamentals they are just a few eggs and a cup of flour. Some oil/fat is necessary but for savory a healthy vegetable oil would be fine. I was thinking garlic waffle topped with pulled pork and cilantro?

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 09 February 2014 05:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27

I guess when you put it that way, it’s a bun toasted very, very severely, huh? The waffle pattern is very pretty. I like the classic style of small pockets, but it seems that the vast majority of waffle irons are Belgian style.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 09 February 2014 06:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  917
Joined  2009-05-25

One thought that comes to mind is Rose’s recipe for Savory Cream puffs?  I’m wondering if it would work in a waffle iron.  Not sure if they would dry out enough but may be worth a shot.  Could always put in the oven on bare racks to dry out if you want more crispy.

Posted: 09 February 2014 09:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1184
Joined  2009-11-24
CharlesT - 09 February 2014 12:21 PM

Beaten egg whites is the “correct” way to make waffles, and they even make better pancakes. But I rarely make waffles, because the best recipe I ever found had enormous quantities of butter and baked up so light and crispy that I had to eat *lots* of them

hha ha haha LOL - I really did laugh out loud ....

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 11 February 2014 03:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4797
Joined  2008-04-16

Beaten egg whites is the “correct” way to make waffles, and they even make better pancakes. But I rarely make waffles, because the best recipe I ever found had enormous quantities of butter and baked up so light and crispy that I had to eat *lots* of them.

Hee hee!  LOL

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 11 February 2014 03:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Cooking/baking is such a huge field than even acknowledged experts can make some claims that can’t be defended.

happens all the time- jeffrey hamelman reports that he has tested extensively placing instant yeast and salt together for long periods of time and nothing bad happens.  Yet everyone easily accepts that the yeast and salt should be separated.

Signature 

Posted: 11 February 2014 04:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
Julie - 11 February 2014 03:59 PM

jeffrey hamelman reports that he has tested extensively placing instant yeast and salt together for long periods of time and nothing bad happens.  Yet everyone easily accepts that the yeast and salt should be separated.

Thank you for that…one less thing to worry about. Does he mention that in his book?

Signature 

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 13 February 2014 08:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

This was in a class at KAF, featuring baguettes, levain and miche smile

Signature 

Posted: 13 February 2014 11:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
Julie - 13 February 2014 08:06 AM

This was in a class at KAF, featuring baguettes, levain and miche smile

Argh! Secret knowledge! Not fair.

Signature 

—Hans Reichenbach