Sweet 16 Red Velvet
Posted: 09 February 2014 10:27 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1211
Joined  2009-11-24

Here is Sweet 16 Red Velvet - an 8” and 5” tier, each 3 layers, filled with cream cheese buttercream, and vanilla IMBC, cake covered in fondant (I made).  The band (an attempt at animal print) and the bow are modeling chocolate.  I like to do as much as possible from scratch.  This fondant is delicious….it is recipe from Veena’s Art of Cakes.  You must check it out.  On the modeling chocolate, dark or milk chocolate is easier than white chocolate and white chocolate is easier than candy melts..  And, red candy melts have never worked for me.  Right now, when I have to make Red Velvet, I use Red Man Raven with modification in the process.  It does not bake evenly so I have to work on that or try a mod to Rose’s recipe.  I use McCormick food coloring but will probably try gel paste color on next attempt.  I do not have a slice photo yet.  But I did capture a photo of the crumbs when I was crumb coating and evening the cake out. 

P.S..  I totally forgot to take a pic before I put the fondant on… (fondant draping skills need work)....but I used the upside down method of coating…. and I love it… worked fabulously. 

Image Attachments
Sweet_16_Cake_-_0.jpgsweet16_A.jpgSweet_16_Cake_4.jpg
 Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 11 February 2014 04:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4838
Joined  2008-04-16

Looks great!  That must have been some sweet 16 party smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 11 February 2014 06:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

i agree! I never had a cake like that at 16!!

‹‹ Superhero Cake      Corsage ››