Silk Meringue BUttercream for large two-tier sheet cake
Posted: 11 February 2014 05:17 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  121
Joined  2010-01-18

Does anyone have any idea how much of the Vanilla (plain) Silk Meringue Buttercream I would need to frost a 12 x 18” half slab cake (about 4” high)? I want to keep it light - filling is whipped ganache. Also doing another the same, a 12 x 9 quarter sheet extra cut. Thanks!

Posted: 11 February 2014 07:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  880
Joined  2009-05-25

Hi!  In TCB wedding cake section there is a table (P. 513) that lists frosting quantities.  Since you already have filling, but do plan a 4” high cake (the chart assumes 1.75” high cake)—I think you’d probably want about 8 cups…if you plan to do additional decor, go with about 10 cups.  It freezes well so extras needn’t be wasted.  Do you plan to do the same with the 12x9”?  The entry for the chart seems to have an error…as it’s listed at 1.75” high but has filling—anyway, the amount she lists is about 4.5 cups for the 9 x13” filled but only 1.75” high… so if you do about 15/16 cups I think you’d be set for both cakes.

Posted: 13 February 2014 01:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  121
Joined  2010-01-18

Thanks so much Sherrie for your prompt reply! Of course the table in TCB - somehow overlooked the last row on it! I have begun prep on one whole recipe for ab 13 c. and one 2/3 recipe (easier than 1/2) which should give me another 8 c or so. I think that should more than suffice for both cakes. As you say it freezes well and I’d hate to be short! Not planning on doing a lot of fancy piping, just a border of hearts if possible, and then some script on top. Two recipes of whipped ganache was more than enough for filling them… didn’t want it so thick it oozed out the sides. Now eating the rest outta the bowl with a big spoon!! YUM!!! Bliss! Tomorrow is D-Day! Hopefully all will go well! After close to forty years of decorating cakes you’d think the pressure wouldn’t faze me so bad anymore - but it still always seems to regardless! Every cake is a fresh challenge - and a new Prototype LOL!