Undercooked quick bread center
Posted: 11 February 2014 07:14 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2013-07-16

Hello all,

I’m cross-posting in breads, as I’m not sure where this question best fits.

I have a recipe for an “olive oil cake” (really like a quick bread, I think) that’s baked in a loaf pan, with olive oil as the fat, baking powder as the leavener, plus sugar, and various flavorings, etc. Nothing too complicated.

I’ve baked it many, many times with good success in a disposable aluminum baking pan.

I recently purchased a professional loaf pan, however, and each time I try the recipe using the new pan, it’s raw in the middle and I can’t bake it longer or the outside will become overdone.

The new metal loaf pan is just slightly larger than the disposable aluminum ones, and of course it’s heavier, but those are the only differences.

If someone could help me troubleshoot, I’d appreciate it!!

Posted: 11 February 2014 11:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1355
Joined  2008-09-27

Reduce the oven temperature and bake longer.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 12 February 2014 06:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  596
Joined  2007-11-18
BakinFat - 11 February 2014 07:14 PM

Hello all,

I have a recipe for an “olive oil cake” (really like a quick bread, I think) that’s baked in a loaf pan, with olive oil as the fat, baking powder as the leavener, plus sugar, and various flavorings, etc. Nothing too complicated.

I’ve baked it many, many times with good success in a disposable aluminum baking pan.

I recently purchased a professional loaf pan, however, and each time I try the recipe using the new pan, it’s raw in the middle and I can’t bake it longer or the outside will become overdone.

The new metal loaf pan is just slightly larger than the disposable aluminum ones, and of course it’s heavier, but those are the only differences.

BAKINFAT:
  Good morning. We are sorry to learn of your baking disappointment. I am not commenting on your recipe as I not familiar with it.
My comment to you is….The 9 X 5 LOAF PANS are “NOTORIOUS” for leaving it’s batter “UNBAKED” in the middle   Not all recipes…but many. Many bakers are not familiar with this possible condition.

In your next to last paragraph you stated that this subject pan is spmewhat larger that the pan you have had success with in the past. This is your baking problem

I will mention to you this you can bake this recipe in a bundt pan or a tube pan if you like. It will bake there very very well.

If you like you can increase the recipe to fit 2 or 3 smaller pans. If so, post the recipe & pan sizes. That goes for the bundt pans as well.  I can do that for you.

Well my friend you asked in your post for help…I just gave it to you.

Good luck & enjoy the rest of the day my friend.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 12 February 2014 02:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2013-07-16

Thanks, Charles and Freshkid, for the advice.

It totally makes sense that the 9 x 5 size would be the problem—when I switched to that size, the problems began!

I will try all of your suggestions, including the baking time/temp adjustments, and trying a bunt or tube pan, and trying a smaller loaf pan!

Posted: 12 February 2014 03:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1355
Joined  2008-09-27

Hopefully you will try them one at a time!

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 12 February 2014 03:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17
~FRESHKID - 12 February 2014 06:39 AM
BakinFat - 11 February 2014 07:14 PM

Hello all,

BAKINFAT:
  Good morning. We are sorry to learn of your baking disappointment. I am not commenting on your recipe as I not familiar with it.
My comment to you is….The 9 X 5 LOAF PANS are “NOTORIOUS” for leaving it’s batter “UNBAKED” in the middle   Not all recipes…but many. Many bakers are not familiar with this possible condition.

In your next to last paragraph you stated that this subject pan is spmewhat larger that the pan you have had success with in the past. This is your baking problem

I will mention to you this you can bake this recipe in a bundt pan or a tube pan if you like. It will bake there very very well.

If you like you can increase the recipe to fit 2 or 3 smaller pans. If so, post the recipe & pan sizes. That goes for the bundt pans as well.  I can do that for you.

Well my friend you asked in your post for help…I just gave it to you.

Good luck & enjoy the rest of the day my friend.

~FRESHKID.

I totally agree with ~FRESHKID and CharlesT. Actually Rose posted an article on her blog discussing common baking mistakes. If you click on the link on her blog it will be mistake #2. 

You Use Unbleached Flour to Make Cakes

The array of flours in the supermarket’s baking aisle can be confounding. Sure, slapping the name “all-purpose” on the bag does help, but should you be baking with bleached or unbleached—and does it matter? It absolutely does, says baker and acclaimed cookbook author Rose Levy Beranbaum. It’s great to use unbleached flour in bread, she says, but if you use it in cake, everything will look fine—until about 10 minutes after you remove the cake from the oven, when the center will start to sink. Unbleached flour doesn’t emulsify—or bind to the other ingredients—in the same way that bleached flour does. However, Beranbaum says, if unbleached flour is all you have, bake the cake in a tube or Bundt pan—the center won’t collapse.

http://www.oprah.com/food/Common-Dessert-Mistakes—Baking-Mistakes/2

I tried it with a recipe which always gave me problems and got perfect results.

Here is Rose’s blog entry:

http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2014/01/helpful_baking_tips_on_oprahs.html

If you are going to use the loaf pan, I would give Prettycake’s recommendation a try (using the baking core). She always uses it and never has these issues.