1 of 3
What are you cooking for Thanksgiving this year?
Posted: 16 November 2007 10:09 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1074
Joined  2007-11-15

I’m planning on trying the cranraspberry sauce from Rose’s Celebrations and the pecan pie from the P&PB;(I can’t give up the great pumpkin pie though, so we’re having that too).

Posted: 16 November 2007 10:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2007-11-16

I’m making several pies (pumpkin, pecan, and pear) and a chocolate ruffle cake that I found in the CIA’s baking text. I’m looking forward to making the decoration on the chocolate ruffle cake. It sounds simple, but it’s one of those things that you know is going to be much harder than it sounds or that you anticipate.

Posted: 16 November 2007 11:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

I’ll be bringing 2 of Rose’s Pecan Pies.  I haven’t tried this recipe yet, so I’ll do a trial run this weekend.  I can’t wait to try the Lyle’s Golden Syrup - so far a tiny sample taste of the syrup seems very promising!  Oh, I’ll probably make the cream cheese crust too.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 16 November 2007 11:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2007-11-15

All of our kids will be home for the holiday, and we’re having several other guests, and I am cooking everything.

The turkey recipe from Benjamin Lewis’ and Rodrigo Velloso’s hilarious and excellent “Eat Dangerously” cookbook, my grandmother’s cornbread/sage dressing recipe, the Bourbon sweet potatoes with buttered pecans and maple glazed Brussels sprouts with chestnuts, both from Epicurious.com.  I also have an excellent triple cranberry sauce recipe but I don’t remember where it came from.  Three pies - pecan, pumpkin and apple (the pecan and apple will be from Rose’s cookbook, but my oldest son has threatened mutiny if I change my pumpkin pie, although I will be putting it in Rose’s cream cheese crust).  Oh, and I’ll bake her butter-dipped dinner rolls, as well.

I’m already tired, just thinking about it…

Signature 

Save the earth.  It’s the only planet with chocolate.

Posted: 16 November 2007 12:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2007-11-16

Mmm, the cream cheese crust is amazing. I can’t really taste the cream cheese in it.

Posted: 16 November 2007 12:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2007-11-16

Thanksgiving is a crazy time of cooking for me…infact I started today with 3 of the 6 loaves of Hearth Bread for stuffing cubes.  I will be making: brined turkey, gravy. bread dressing. rice dressing, dinner rolls, carrots, peas and carmelized onions.  I think that is everything big surprise !!!  I am toying with the idea of making Rose’s Cranberry Walnut bread for sandwiches after the Friday shopping frenzy.

Posted: 16 November 2007 12:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15
wendyj - 16 November 2007 04:44 PM

Thanksgiving is a crazy time of cooking for me…infact I started today with 3 of the 6 loaves of Hearth Bread for stuffing cubes.  I will be making: brined turkey, gravy. bread dressing. rice dressing, dinner rolls, carrots, peas and carmelized onions.  I think that is everything big surprise !!!  I am toying with the idea of making Rose’s Cranberry Walnut bread for sandwiches after the Friday shopping frenzy.

Oh yes, brined turkey is my absolute favorite!!!  Is there a particular recipe you use?  I love Wolfgang Puck’s version seen around this time of year on the Food Network (or is it Food TV???).  Anyway, I HIGHLY recommend it!

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 16 November 2007 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-11-16

I’ve been making the “Good Eats” brined turkey for at least 7 years.  My father has sulfite allergies that force me to purchase a fresh free range organic bird (oh darn!!)—-that combined with the brining is just fantastic!!!

Posted: 16 November 2007 01:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15
wendyj - 16 November 2007 04:54 PM

I’ve been making the “Good Eats” brined turkey for at least 7 years.  My father has sulfite allergies that force me to purchase a fresh free range organic bird (oh darn!!)—-that combined with the brining is just fantastic!!!

I haven’t seen that recipe.  What size bird do you brine?  What kind of a container do you use?

I do a 10-12 lb. bird, and I brine it in a 16 qt. stock pot, with a heavy pie plate to weigh mr. turkey down.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 16 November 2007 01:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-11-16

I ordered a 16 pound bird, the true weight should be close to that.  I put Mr. or Miss Turkey in an extra large oven bag in a stockpot, pour in the brine and the put it back in the fridge for about 8 hours.  I have adapted the brine over the years, this year it will be water, kosher salt, sugar and some fresh herbs.

Posted: 16 November 2007 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15
wendyj - 16 November 2007 05:14 PM

I ordered a 16 pound bird, the true weight should be close to that.  I put Mr. or Miss Turkey in an extra large oven bag in a stockpot, pour in the brine and the put it back in the fridge for about 8 hours.  I have adapted the brine over the years, this year it will be water, kosher salt, sugar and some fresh herbs.

Wolfgang’s calls for Kosher salt, honey, maple syrup, ginger, etc.  The accompanying pan gravy recipe is so could I could bathe in it.  The whole thing is very gourmet!

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 16 November 2007 05:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  108
Joined  2007-11-15

Baking-wise, I’m making a double, or maybe even a quadruple batch of Rose’s Butter Dipped dinner rolls. I’m not sure what else is on the menu, but those are always welcome.

A good friend is giving us a pumpkin nut roll (from the Libby’s Solid Pack Pumpkin recipe, try it, it’s sublimely delicious exactly as written), so we won’t really need any more desserts beyond that.

I might give in to the urge to bake a pie, just on principle,  wink probably Chocolate Chess, maybe just a Fudge Pie.

Posted: 16 November 2007 10:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2007-11-16

hey everybody!! I’m making a peach cobbler, banana pudding, pineapple coconut cake, and some sweet potato pie for my family.. then I have some orders LOL..

Posted: 16 November 2007 11:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-11-16

It looks like I’m the only one cooking for just two smile

We’ll have a small turkey that I’ll use Ina Garten’s recipe for - she uses lemon and garlic and I love the effect it has on the skin.  I also use her recipe for gravy, you slowly brown some onions in butter before adding the flour and broth. 

Dressing made with challah bread that I’ll be baking this weekend.  I add the usual suspects to the dressing as well as some Jimmy Dean cooked sausage and some dried chestnuts.  Italian dinner rolls from Carol Field’s Italian Bread book. Sweet potato casserole, some simple petit pois peas and for dessert a pear croustade topped with some homemade vanilla ice cream.

More than enough to feel both festive and thankful smile

Posted: 17 November 2007 12:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  108
Joined  2007-11-15
Kathy - 17 November 2007 03:55 AM

It looks like I’m the only one cooking for just two smile

Oh, no, I forgot to mention it, but I’m cooking for two. smile

Drop in guests are possible across the afternoon, but who really knows?

The extra rolls are mostly just a treat for a holiday weekend. Leftover rolls are always welcome. smile

Meal-wise, we’ve decided we’re having Shrimp and Ham gumbo. Probably with green salad, fresh rolls and pumpkin nut roll for dessert.

One year my sister decided that she just wasn’t up to the whole roast-beast-feast and made gumbo instead. She’s reverted to her more chaotic normal menu, but I have to say I love the simplicity of it. (Well, it’s truly only simple if you have the gumbo already prepared, in the freezer, but you get the idea.) Now that she’s living in another state it’s unlikely that we’ll be sharing feasts, so dad and I are doing our own thing.

Posted: 17 November 2007 09:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-11-17

We’re headed to the in-laws on Thursday.  I will bring:

Buttermilk Pound Cake
My dad’s Broccoli Casserole (hope I can do it justice!)
Some kind of congealed salad (maybe cranberry)
Turnip Greens
Maybe another dessert

~Suz

1 of 3