2 of 2
Baking A Three Layer Cake
Posted: 14 February 2014 01:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1616
Joined  2011-02-17
prettycake - 14 February 2014 12:17 AM

Flour Girl.

If you strive for taste and appearance,  it just means you are a good baker because you go one step further.
IMHO, it should taste as good as it looks, not one way or the other (but that’s just me).
If both can be achieved,  then that is really great.  And this is a great example.
I am very huge on appearance and taste at the same time, and it is really not difficult to achieve w/ a little bit more work.
Not all beautiful cakes are tasty as well as not all ugly cakes are good (JMHO).

You did well Flour Girl. Keep baking smile

Thank you Prettycake! I would love to take some baking classes. I would love to take a decorating class. I have most of the decorating supplies I need. The only thing that stops me is I try to avoid making frostings if I can help it for health concerns. I know you posted you don’t consider that. I wouldn’t either if I was baking for general people. But, for my husband, he eats 3 pieces of cake a day. I need to make him cake that is relatively healthy. If he ate just one piece, that would be different.  I really enjoy baking. It is never a job or effort for me to bake.  I wouldn’t mind going though the time and effort to decorate. I would really like to take a class.

My cake looks pretty similar to the cake in the recipe. The glaring differences are two layers failed to brown and my jelly was strawberry. The pictured cake must have been raspberry and was darker. My husband prefers strawberry. Also, it doesn’t appear the pictured cake in the book was made using cake strips. All three layers seem more individual and rounded on the sides than my layers.

A question for you..when you bake layers, even just two layers, do you bake them separately?

Posted: 14 February 2014 02:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  701
Joined  2012-01-12

Hi Flour Girl,
i understand about health reasons for your husband and I think that is a pretty good reason. It’s your cake u do what u want. It’s just that in my opinion some cakes or recipes are not meant to be modified and if they are the taste is not what it should be or the same, and I know sometimes it will just end tossed out because it failed due to substitution and I think it is a waste when that happens. And ingredients can be expensive.

But baking is always fun. Have a great day.

Posted: 14 February 2014 02:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Hi Prettycake! I don’t modify cakes (anymore) I just look for cakes that are less un-healthy than others. This cake I made would not have been baked had it not been for an occasion. But when it comes to bringing cake to a gathering, I only look for taste. That is why most of the cakes I bring are Rose’s

Posted: 14 February 2014 02:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1197
Joined  2009-11-24

that cakes looks delicious, Flour Girl, I want a slice.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 14 February 2014 02:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
CRenee - 14 February 2014 02:39 PM

that cakes looks delicious, Flour Girl, I want a slice.

Thanks CRenee!! I appreciate that!

2 of 2

‹‹ Undercooked quick bread center      rice milk ››