rice milk
Posted: 13 February 2014 05:27 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2014-01-27

I’d like to bake a moist cake with rice milk in it and having the sweetness as much as possible coming from the rice milk, rather than the sugar. Has anyone got any cakes that they’ve baked with rice milk but with relatively little sugar/other sweeteners?

Many thanks

Posted: 13 February 2014 06:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1617
Joined  2011-02-17

I have baked Vegan cakes using other non-dairy milks. Rice milk was one of the options but I used soy milk instead. The non-dairy milk was not a substitute for sweetener as far as I could tell. The sweetener I used was pure maple syrup and brown sugar. I have found the cakes I baked with soy milk soured sooner than non vegan cakes.

What are you hoping to bake?

Posted: 15 February 2014 07:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2014-01-27
Flour Girl - 13 February 2014 06:25 PM

I have baked Vegan cakes using other non-dairy milks. Rice milk was one of the options but I used soy milk instead. The non-dairy milk was not a substitute for sweetener as far as I could tell. The sweetener I used was pure maple syrup and brown sugar. I have found the cakes I baked with soy milk soured sooner than non vegan cakes.

What are you hoping to bake?

Thank you. Soymilk is not particularly sweet, but rice milk is. I’d like to bake a cake that is delicious and has as little sugar in it as possible, with as much of the sweetness as possible coming from the rice milk instead!

Posted: 15 February 2014 11:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1617
Joined  2011-02-17

On Rose’s BLOG, on the left-hand side of the page, is a list of “Sites I Like”. There are several Vegan and Non-Dairy Sites listed. I would look for a Vegan site for recipes meeting your criteria. I have had to do that when I was sourcing low cholesterol cakes. I gathered information and then applied what I had learned to modifying some of Rose’s recipes which were suitable to changing (as far as fat content from dairy). 

Please let me know if you find what you are looking for. I am always open to trying new things.

Good luck.