1 of 8
Dairy-Free Cake
Posted: 15 February 2014 04:03 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

I just came across this in an Bon Appetit cookbook from ‘87 (to which Rose contributed, but not this recipe), and I thought it might be of interest, as folks have occasionally asked for eggless cakes—this uses no eggs and no butter.  I haven’t made it, so I can’t tell you if it’s good, but I’ve generally found BA to be reliable:

Eggless Chocolate Cake

1-1/2 c AP flour
1 c sugar
3 T cocoa powder
1-1/2 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 c cold water
1/4 c + 1 T oil (it calls for corn oil, but I’m sure any oil would work)
1 T distilled white vinegar
1 t vanilla

350 F greased and floured 8x8 square pan (or 9” round)

Sift flour, sugar, cocoa, BP, BS and salt.
Make a well in the center. 
Add water, oil, vinegar and vanilla.
Beat until smooth - 2 to 3 minutes (batter will be thin).
Pour into pan.
Bake until tester comes out clean (30-35 min)
Invert onto wire rack and cool.

Posted: 15 February 2014 04:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  598
Joined  2007-11-27

Flour Girl and I know this by another name: Wowie Cake!  My mother made it as an after school treat and I think she sometimes frosted it; it was in an 8x8 square pan; you can multiply this for larger pans.  It’s a good cake!

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 15 February 2014 04:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

How interesting!  This is the famed Wowie Cake?  The recipe from the book included a cream cheese frosting, but I left it off.

I wonder what makes it work and if it would work as a non-chocolate cake, or if the cocoa powder adds flavor lost from no eggs and no butter?

Posted: 15 February 2014 05:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1178
Joined  2009-11-24

I have made this cake, it is good and it was here that someone told me, Jeanne, I think about it.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 15 February 2014 09:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17
Jeanne - 15 February 2014 04:31 PM

Flour Girl and I know this by another name: Wowie Cake!  My mother made it as an after school treat and I think she sometimes frosted it; it was in an 8x8 square pan; you can multiply this for larger pans.  It’s a good cake!

Yes we do Jeanne wink Thanks to you I can have my cake and lower my cholesterol! Thank you!! 

We love this cake. My son prefers it to any of my other cakes.  I often send him to work with 2 pieces.

I actually baked this cake this morning.

I hardly ever make it with the cocoa powder. We love it with the almond flour.

I bake it in an 8-inch round pan and use 2 bowls instead of one, combining the wet ingredients with the dry.

Love it!

Posted: 15 February 2014 09:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks, everyone!

All of your positive feedback make me thinmk I might have to make this for a friend’s birthday—she recently learned she has to lower her cholesterol considerably.  I’m thinking a coffee glaze would be really yummy on it—some instant espresso in a regular glaze.  Sadly, I can’t use that, though, becuase she doesn’t like coffee.  This is always a problem!!  However, an orange glaze could be good, as well—perhaps with caramelized coca nibs.  Or a glaze made with cherry brandy (from brandied cherries) and the sprinkled with toasted slivered almonds and drizzlingw with tempered chocolate. 

Does this cake have a “regular” cake texture, or is it more dense, like a brownie?

Have any of you made this with weight, rather than volume, measurements?  If so, what weight of AP flour did you use?

Thanks!

—ak

Posted: 15 February 2014 09:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Anne in NC - 15 February 2014 04:55 PM

How interesting!  This is the famed Wowie Cake?  The recipe from the book included a cream cheese frosting, but I left it off.

I wonder what makes it work and if it would work as a non-chocolate cake, or if the cocoa powder adds flavor lost from no eggs and no butter?

Jeanne told me you can substitute almond flour for the cocoa powder. We prefer it with the almond flour.

I converted this recipe to grams for ease of measuring. Here are is my conversions. I always get perfect results.  For me, this cake takes a full 35 minutes to bake using the almond variation.

I use an 8 inch round pan sprayed and lined with parchment

Flour 213g
Sugar 200g
cocoa or almond flour   37g
baking soda 1 tsp
fine sea salt 1/2 tsp
water 236g
canola oil 72g
white vinegar 15g
vanilla 5g

Posted: 15 February 2014 09:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Anne in NC - 15 February 2014 09:42 PM

Thanks, everyone!

All of your positive feedback make me thinmk I might have to make this for a friend’s birthday—she recently learned she has to lower her cholesterol considerably.  I’m thinking a coffee glaze would be really yummy on it—some instant espresso in a regular glaze.  Sadly, I can’t use that, though, becuase she doesn’t like coffee.  This is always a problem!!  However, an orange glaze could be good, as well—perhaps with caramelized coca nibs.  Or a glaze made with cherry brandy (from brandied cherries) and the sprinkled with toasted slivered almonds and drizzlingw with tempered chocolate. 

Does this cake have a “regular” cake texture, or is it more dense, like a brownie?

Have any of you made this with weight, rather than volume, measurements?  If so, what weight of AP flour did you use?

Thanks!

—ak

Always. See my above post for the measurements I use.  I use 140g/cup which equals to 212 for 1 1/2c. I use Rose’s weight chart as the reference.

It doesn’t have a butter cake’s texture. I think it is more dense but not as dense as a brownie.

Give it a try. It only takes 15 minutes to prepare and 35 minutes to bake. It’s really fast and easy.

Posted: 16 February 2014 08:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-27
Flour Girl - 15 February 2014 09:49 PM

Jeanne told me you can substitute almond flour for the cocoa powder. We prefer it with the almond flour.

I converted this recipe to grams for ease of measuring. Here are is my conversions. I always get perfect results.  For me, this cake takes a full 35 minutes to bake using the almond variation.

Flour 213g
Sugar 200g
baking powder 1 tsp
fine sea salt 1/2 tsp
water 236g
canola oil 72g
white vinegar 15g
vanilla 5g

Are you using baking powder with the almond flour? Or did you mean baking soda?  Here’s what I’ve been using, making an equal substitution for the almond flour in place of the cocoa:

1 c. sugar (7 oz)
1 1/2 c. flour (10.5 oz)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 c. cocoa (I don’t remember what this weighs)
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tbsp. vinegar
1/3 c. vegetable oil
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. cold water

Sift first 5 ingredients into a bowl (I will sometimes make several batches of the dry ingredients and store them in a ziploc bag so they’re ready). Add the rest and stir smooth. Bake 35 minutes in 350 degree oven. Recipe may be doubled for layer cake.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 16 February 2014 09:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Jeanne - 16 February 2014 08:16 AM
Flour Girl - 15 February 2014 09:49 PM

Flour 213g
Sugar 200g
baking powder 1 tsp
fine sea salt 1/2 tsp
water 236g
canola oil 72g
white vinegar 15g
vanilla 5g

Are you using baking powder with the almond flour? Or did you mean baking soda?  Here’s what I’ve been using, making an equal substitution for the almond flour in place of the cocoa:

1 c. sugar (7 oz)
1 1/2 c. flour (10.5 oz)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 c. cocoa (I don’t remember what this weighs)
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tbsp. vinegar
1/3 c. vegetable oil
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. cold water

Sift first 5 ingredients into a bowl (I will sometimes make several batches of the dry ingredients and store them in a ziploc bag so they’re ready). Add the rest and stir smooth. Bake 35 minutes in 350 degree oven. Recipe may be doubled for layer cake.

Thanks for catching that Jeanne. I use BAKING SODA.  I corrected my original post.

What a great idea for storing the dry ingredients. I love it!

And yes, the water must be cold. If it’s not, I have learned the hard way, you will get a layer with hardly any rise.

I find my cake rises a full 2 inches in the 8x2 pan. When I used a 9” or an 8 x 8 square or even an 8 x 3 cheesecake pan, the finished cake did not rise as high.

Thank you for catching my error.

Image Attachments
phpPfJAPSAM.jpg

Posted: 16 February 2014 09:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Anne in NC - 15 February 2014 09:42 PM

—ak

Anne I made the rum variation with the rum glaze in Bouchon Bakery. “Awesome” was the response from everyone. I thought it was overly sweet but I might have used too much glaze. Perhaps a drizzle of it is better.

A chocolate ganache would work great with the chocolate recipe. Chocolate ganache is suggested in the book Vintage Cakes by Julie Richardson. She has this recipe in that book.

Posted: 16 February 2014 11:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Jeanne Do you think the recipe would work in a bundtlette pan?

This pan has a 4 cup capacity and makes six bundtlettes.  It would be too small for most bundt recipes, even if you make half the recipe.

I always cut generous slices. My 8” cake serves 6.

I like this pan because you can drizzle the glaze and it gives a cruller appearance.

https://www.nordicware.com/store/product_detail/heritage-bundtlette-cake-pan#.UwDn3ChBBSU

Image Attachments
phpkKSWZAAM.jpg

Posted: 16 February 2014 04:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Wow, thanks everyone, for the measurements, the subs, the thoughts—everything! And thanks, FG, for the photo of your gorgeous cake.  I will definitely have to try this one for that b’day in April!!!!

Posted: 16 February 2014 09:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-27

FG, I think that bundt pan is too detailed for the cake; it might stick in the creases. But the almond adds a little more fat so it might be worth trying.  I have one of the 6 mold regular shaped small bundt pans and unless I spray it really well, sometimes my butter cakes stick and I lose a few.

It’s a beautiful pan!

Signature 

Posted: 16 February 2014 10:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  256
Joined  2011-12-25

You can always count on you all to inspire. I just had to see what this cake would taste like and I loved it. I would have preferred the almond flour and I will use it next time but the chocolate was very good.

Thanks so much!!

Image Attachments
df1.jpgdairy111.jpg

Posted: 17 February 2014 12:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Jeanne - 16 February 2014 09:27 PM

FG, I think that bundt pan is too detailed for the cake; it might stick in the creases. But the almond adds a little more fat so it might be worth trying.  I have one of the 6 mold regular shaped small bundt pans and unless I spray it really well, sometimes my butter cakes stick and I lose a few.

It’s a beautiful pan!

Thanks Jeanne. Are you referring to the Anniversary Pan? I have it too and I love it. So far, I have been lucky but I never baked a butter cake in it. I baked the Low Fat Applesauce “Donuts” from The Sweeter Side Of Amy’s Bread. I substituted oil for the melted butter and had no sticking problem.

I hope I am able to bake the Wowie Cake in the Heritage Bundtlette. I think it is the perfect size for the batter.  I’ll make sure to spray it well. I usually use Spectrum Baking Spray but for this recipe I will make sure to use Baker’s Joy. 

Thank you so much grin

1 of 8