8 of 8
Dairy-Free Cake
Posted: 18 July 2014 06:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 106 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  285
Joined  2011-12-25

Hi Anne,

I guess it was the cake that used the shortening. I knew you used that Spectrum shortening for something in that recipe. That was the chocolate cake with the coffee extract and that wonderful frosting. That is one cake I would take the time to bake again. I"ve saved that recipe… smile

Posted: 18 July 2014 07:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 107 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  298
Joined  2011-10-15

Hi Abbey,

You’re absolutely right in that this cake is a breeze to make. I made 2 half recipes, one with water and one with soy milk and baked in 6” round pans. If there was a difference between the two, it wasn’t great enough for anyone to notice so I’ll stick with the water going forward. I did find that the tops had a moist, slightly gummy layer and the sides had it as well but I used cake strips so I’ll skip those the next time and hopefully the sides will be okay. Family liked the cakes regardless.

That’s good to know about the topping staying in place. I’m planning one more trial to make sure I can eliminate the gummy sides so I’ll add something chopped to see what happens.

I haven’t seen the cooked frosting recipe Anne posted so I’ll have a look around for it. I was planning to use the one in the Baked books which always turns out really well. Adding cookies to the frosting is a great option…thank you.

I love baking for family and friends and enjoy challenges so I’m having fun with this project, certainly more than I thought I would when I first started and realized that all of the cakes vegan child likes have butter and/or eggs in them!

Thank you for all your help and suggestions.

Posted: 18 July 2014 07:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 108 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Abbey!

Correct on all counts!

—ak

Posted: 18 July 2014 07:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 109 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi,  Sophia!

Good chance I made the frosting from a Baked recipe, as well.  Sometimes I wing it; sometimes I follow a recipe.  Baker guys often do cooked flour frostingd.

—sk

Posted: 18 July 2014 07:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 110 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  298
Joined  2011-10-15

Hi Anne,

That’s great news about the liquid in the frosting. Thinking that fat content might be important, coconut milk came to mind first but I’d rather use something with a more neutral flavour. I’ve also never used shortening in frosting and I hesitate to do it now but I think the vegan “butter” only comes salted and the frosting may be too salty if I use that alone.

The cake design is evolving slowly…...I hadn’t thought of using ganache at all but glazing the finished cake with a thin layer would be very nice!

Thank you for your help Anne!

Posted: 18 July 2014 08:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 111 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  285
Joined  2011-12-25

Sophia,

I wanted to let you know that the Wowie cake does have a gummy texture to it.

Good luck!!

Posted: 02 September 2014 05:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 112 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2014-09-02

I wanna try to make this egg less cake. Hope it will be better and tasteful.. also thanks for recipe..

Signature 

Hi, I’m Navjot Singh from Chandigarh, Punjab. Its my Hobby to cook the cakes and every weekend i try to bake a cake with new recipe. I like chocolate nut cake and cupcakes a lot. The recipe of these are on my finger tips. Sweet Tooth Online

8 of 8