2 of 8
Dairy-Free Cake
Posted: 17 February 2014 12:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 16 February 2014 10:38 PM

You can always count on you all to inspire. I just had to see what this cake would taste like and I loved it. I would have preferred the almond flour and I will use it next time but the chocolate was very good.

Thanks so much!!

Cool Abbey!!! Your cake is beautiful! It came out nice and thick. What size pan did you use?

I’m so glad you tried it. Isn’t it easy?

We prefer the almond too.  When I make the cocoa version I dust it with confectioner’s sugar. I like the almond plain but there are so many adornment options if you wanted to dress it up.

Posted: 17 February 2014 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  263
Joined  2011-12-25

Hi Flourgirl,

The pan was the 9in so it wasn’t as tall as your cake. I need those strips(and some 8in pans)because I always take things out of the oven too soon, just because the outer edges smell done. It actually bounced when I patted it but it could have cooked a little bit longer.

It passed the test here at work and one gal said she made something similar years ago called the ‘wacky cake’.

It’s so easy that I could even watch the Olympics - I can’t seem to take my eyes off these games.

Powdered sugar would be beautiful on that cocoa cake but it was sweet enough for me. I look forward to the almond cake, really!!! 

Have a good day! smile

Abbey

PS Did you make your own almond flour?

Posted: 17 February 2014 07:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  598
Joined  2007-11-27

More converts! wink

I was thinking about it at work today and wondered about the possibilities of subbing coconut flour, or hazelnut flour, or pistachio flour…. and since I am in the midst of wedding consults and no one has any vegan requests coming up, I’m not going to be able to make it with any of those variations for a while yet….. although now I am wondering about subbing the gluten free flour replacement from King Arthur for the flour in this recipe…hmmm! The possibilities!!!

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 17 February 2014 07:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 17 February 2014 11:39 AM

Hi Flourgirl,

The pan was the 9in so it wasn’t as tall as your cake. I need those strips(and some 8in pans)because I always take things out of the oven too soon, just because the outer edges smell done. It actually bounced when I patted it but it could have cooked a little bit longer.

It passed the test here at work and one gal said she made something similar years ago called the ‘wacky cake’.

It’s so easy that I could even watch the Olympics - I can’t seem to take my eyes off these games.

Powdered sugar would be beautiful on that cocoa cake but it was sweet enough for me. I look forward to the almond cake, really!!! 

Have a good day! smile

Abbey

PS Did you make your own almond flour?

Hi Abbey,

Yes, some people call it the Wowie Cake and some the Wacky Cake. It’s the same thing. I got the recipe on line by searching for the Wowie Cake but then I bought the book Vintage Cakes by Julie Richardson and her recipe is called the Wacky Cake. 

I never use the strips on this cake. It gets a slight mound in the 9 inch and no mound (for me) in the 8 inch. You’ve seen the pics. The cake is always pretty flat.  I don’t know if the strips would have an effect on the baking of this cake. If it is important to you, you would have to try it. I would recommend getting an 8inch pan. I use Parrish Magic Line. My local store sells it but I know you can get it on Amazon.  I use a parchment round at the bottom of the pan.

Did you test the cake with a toothpick? On my cake, especially the almond, there is always a slight moisture. I once tried to bake it away but the end result was a more dry cake. If the cake springs back when lightly touched and the toothpick doesn’t have wet batter on it, I’d say it was good to go.

I do not make my own almond flour for this recipe. I use BOB’S RED MILL ALMOND MEAL/FLOUR. It is more expensive on Amazon. It is less than $10 in my local store. At Costco you can get a huge bag (I think it is 3 pounds) for $18.

Let me know how you like the almond version. I can’t wait until after dinner when I can sit down with my slice and watch Prison Break. It is getting exciting.

Posted: 17 February 2014 07:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Jeanne - 17 February 2014 07:17 PM

More converts! wink

I was thinking about it at work today and wondered about the possibilities of subbing coconut flour, or hazelnut flour, or pistachio flour…. and since I am in the midst of wedding consults and no one has any vegan requests coming up, I’m not going to be able to make it with any of those variations for a while yet….. although now I am wondering about subbing the gluten free flour replacement from King Arthur for the flour in this recipe…hmmm! The possibilities!!!

I love the idea of the other nut flours Jeanne. I have been looking for Hazelnut flour because I want to bake the Banana Cake in The Complete Robuchon. It calls for hazel nut flour and hazel nut oil. In his recipe, he uses on 3TB of the oil which he blends with the banana and 4TB of milk in a food processor. His recipe also calls for butter 150g. I couldn’t eat this cake because of the butter but I would make it for my family. Do you think the hazel nut oil would work with the hazelnut flour in the Wowie Cake?

Posted: 17 February 2014 08:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-27

I think I would try half hazelnut oil and half vegetable oil the first time….

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 18 February 2014 12:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Jeanne - 17 February 2014 08:59 PM

I think I would try half hazelnut oil and half vegetable oil the first time….

Okay, I will. All I have to do is locate the oil and I’ll try it. Thank you Jeanne.

Posted: 18 February 2014 11:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Hi All,

One could get very creative with this cake. There was only one person that did not like the taste of it. Called it weird but I’m thinking the cocoa or the vinegar made it taste funny. I did notice it, so I’m imagining using the almond flour might be more of a mellow flavor. The cocoa was an unopened Hershey cocoa but didn’t check the exp. date? What does the vinegar do? I meant to google!

FG—Thanks for all your help-You are wonderful flourgirl. I’ve added one of the cook books you suggested about eating for cholesterol to my acct on Amazon, so I will look for some pans. wink Good to know the texture of the Wowie cake, so I won’t make the mistake of over baking it next time. You had me giggling when you described how you couldn’t wait to watch your program with your cake. You sounded so happy.  I’ve heard of Prison Break but never watched it. I try not to get attached to programs these days, cuz once they gotcha, that’s it. Ask me how I know! smile But I have been making home made popcorn and ‘settling in’ to watch the Olympics. What fun it is!!

I look forward to hearing about all the experiments with this cake. 

Abbey

Posted: 18 February 2014 08:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 18 February 2014 11:51 AM

Hi All,

One could get very creative with this cake. There was only one person that did not like the taste of it. Called it weird but I’m thinking the cocoa or the vinegar made it taste funny. I did notice it, so I’m imagining using the almond flour might be more of a mellow flavor. The cocoa was an unopened Hershey cocoa but didn’t check the exp. date? What does the vinegar do? I meant to google!

FG—Thanks for all your help-You are wonderful flourgirl. I’ve added one of the cook books you suggested about eating for cholesterol to my acct on Amazon, so I will look for some pans. wink Good to know the texture of the Wowie cake, so I won’t make the mistake of over baking it next time. You had me giggling when you described how you couldn’t wait to watch your program with your cake. You sounded so happy.  I’ve heard of Prison Break but never watched it. I try not to get attached to programs these days, cuz once they gotcha, that’s it. Ask me how I know! smile But I have been making home made popcorn and ‘settling in’ to watch the Olympics. What fun it is!!

I look forward to hearing about all the experiments with this cake. 

Abbey

Hi Abbey,

I’m glad you asked because I didn’t know what the role of vinegar was in baked goods either. This is what I found:

Vinegar Instead of Eggs

Vinegar is made from a process that oxidizes or combines oxygen with ethanol. Ethanol is found in liquids such as wine, beer, fermented fruit juice, cider and many other beverages containing alcohol. Vinegar has been used as an excellent binding agent in baking for centuries. It has also been used to maintain the rich moisture-packed results that are often derived from eggs.  http://www.3fatchicks.com/keeping-vegan-chocolate-cake-moist-with-vinegar/

I think some people who are accustomed to cake being butter and eggs and frostings might take a bit longer to like the cake. I guess if those kind of cakes are all you knew, something different would be…well, different.

We love watching movies/TV shows. That is our evening. We borrowed the complete set of Prison Break. It isn’t new but it is new to us. We just finished watching Breaking Bad which also had us riveted to the TV.

I’m glad you are getting Cholesterol Down. That is a very useful book I still practice what I read because it is a lifestyle change. And keep that popcorn coming. Without oil or salt, it is excellent for reducing cholesterol!

Posted: 19 February 2014 12:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Good Morning!!

You are right about people getting used to things and not wanting to change, but that’s what makes life interesting, right? I was surprised at how many people loved it, actually, just for that fact.

The history of vinegar is very interesting. Thank you for sharing that. Do you think distilled is best for baking or apple? 

I’m looking forward to trying that again this weekend, with almond flour. I will share. smile 

Breaking Bad got many awards. I watch the Old MOvie Channel mostly, well, it’s on in the background. No commercials. I suppose I’ve seen most of them as a kid, but it’s just comforting for me.

I use extra light olive oil, a small amount of LOL and a dash of salt on the popcorn. It is so good, you just eat every little kernel and the dog loves it. smile I will just walk a little longer on the dreadmill. hehe!!

Have a wonderful day, Flour Girl, and thank you.

Abbey

Posted: 19 February 2014 04:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 19 February 2014 12:02 PM

Good Morning!!

You are right about people getting used to things and not wanting to change, but that’s what makes life interesting, right? I was surprised at how many people loved it, actually, just for that fact.

The history of vinegar is very interesting. Thank you for sharing that. Do you think distilled is best for baking or apple? 

I’m looking forward to trying that again this weekend, with almond flour. I will share. smile 

Breaking Bad got many awards. I watch the Old MOvie Channel mostly, well, it’s on in the background. No commercials. I suppose I’ve seen most of them as a kid, but it’s just comforting for me.

I use extra light olive oil, a small amount of LOL and a dash of salt on the popcorn. It is so good, you just eat every little kernel and the dog loves it. smile I will just walk a little longer on the dreadmill. hehe!!

Have a wonderful day, Flour Girl, and thank you.

Abbey

Hi Abbey,

This recipe calls for distilled vinegar. I’ve made other Vegan recipes calling for Apple Cider Vinegar and still others specifying “From The Mother” meaning raw/unpasteurized/natural. I don’t know if they are interchangeable. I just follow the recipe.

I do have a question about Vegan cakes calling for non-dairy milk. I would like to know if I can substitute buttermilk. And I wonder if the buttermilk would conflict with the function of the vinegar. I love non-dairy milks but they seem to spoil the cake faster than dairy products.

Your popcorn sounds great! I have to try it like that next time I make it.

Have a gr8 day Abbey!  grin

Posted: 20 February 2014 12:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Today I bought a bag of Hazelnut meal/flour. I replaced the same quantity of cocoa or almond flour with the hazelnut flour.  I baked it in a bundtlette pan sprayed with Baker’s Joy. The quantity of batter was the perfect amount to fill the 6 cavities. I baked it on the lower third rack for 21 minutes @ 350 degrees. After cooling for 10 minutes, the cakelettes literally fell out of the pan.

The cakelettes came out perfect. My husband thinks he prefers the hazelnut variation.

I glazed 4 of the cakelettes with a glaze consisting of 140g confectioner’s sugar, 1 TB water and 1/4 tsp hazelnut extract.  They were really good. The two remaining cakelettes were dusted with confectioner’s sugar.  I think I’m going to be making this often.

This cake is delicious and has zero cholesterol.  I think the cakelette’s consistency is more similar to cakes we are all familiar with. Perhaps because it was baked in the bundtlette. It’s not dry at all nor is it gummy.  It’s very good.

I posted some pics below. You will see only 5 cakelettes in one of the pics because my husband came home as I was taking pictures cheese

Image Attachments
unnamed.jpgunnamed-1.jpgunnamed-2.jpg

Posted: 20 February 2014 11:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Those look so cute. Hazelnut!! Perfect for a breakfast snack while running to work. Hmmmm. smile

I looked for the answer to your question about buttermilk and vinegar but couldn’t find much. I read quite a bit and eventually got confused so thought I’d sleep on it and see what my brain processed. We know milk plus vinegar produces a buttermilk sub and buttermilk can also sub for eggs. Then you have to consider the BP & BS amounts and also the liquid ingredients should match the recipe. Did you figure it out?

Anyway, really good job with the darling little cakes.

Abbey

Posted: 20 February 2014 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Thanks Abbey! I didn’t know buttermilk replaced eggs. Cool! Buttermilk is low cholesterol. I have Vegan recipes which use both non-dairy milk clabbered (turned into a faux buttermilk) as well as unpasteurized apple cider vinegar in the same recipe.

The cakes are great. I wish I had two of these pans because, at this rate,  I am going to be baking in them every day. Ahhh,  Mother’s Day is coming up cheese

Posted: 20 February 2014 05:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-27

FG, those are beautiful! 

And thank you for testing a hazelnut version so we all know it works with that flour too!  I agree, I’d want a second pan too after seeing how beautiful they come out in it.  I used a cheap Wilton bundt pan for a client once years ago because it was all I could get quickly for their order and it was so problematic that I’ve never tried individual bundts again.

Signature 

2 of 8