3 of 8
Dairy-Free Cake
Posted: 21 February 2014 12:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1651
Joined  2011-02-17
Jeanne - 20 February 2014 05:33 PM

FG, those are beautiful! 

And thank you for testing a hazelnut version so we all know it works with that flour too!  I agree, I’d want a second pan too after seeing how beautiful they come out in it.  I used a cheap Wilton bundt pan for a client once years ago because it was all I could get quickly for their order and it was so problematic that I’ve never tried individual bundts again.

Hi Jeanne,

Thank you!! I really appreciate that! I was happy to try it. I also found Cashew flour in Trader Joe. I didn’t buy it but it is something I would like to try in the future.  I didn’t get Hazelnut oil. Perhaps it would have been too much. I used vanilla extract in the batter and hazelnut extract in the glaze. Do you think hazelnut extract in the batter would be better than vanilla?

Tonight I had one of the cakelets with just a dusting of confectioner’s sugar and I loved it. It’s just the right size, and it has a nice weight. That is what I like about this pan.  Most other bundtlette pans are either 5 or 6 cups total capacity. This one is 4 cups. The description says they are 20% larger than a muffin but I think mine were larger. I filled each cavity with 90-95g of batter.

The Nordic Ware bundlettes work very well. I have only tried their platinum line and never had any issue.

They have a new Elegant Heart bundlette too. I was considering it but didn’t get it.

Williams Sonoma had it on sale Valentine’s week for $27. It is back up to $36.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/elegant-heart-cakelet-pan/?cm_src=AutoSchRel

Posted: 22 February 2014 12:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1214
Joined  2009-11-24
Flour Girl - 16 February 2014 11:40 AM

I like this pan because you can drizzle the glaze and it gives a cruller appearance.

https://www.nordicware.com/store/product_detail/heritage-bundtlette-cake-pan#.UwDn3ChBBSU

Well that is pretty.  Now I gotta go buy another pan smile wink

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 22 February 2014 01:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Flour Girl - 17 February 2014 12:33 AM

I usually use Spectrum Baking Spray but for this recipe I will make sure to use Baker’s Joy. 

Flour Girl, Spectrum Baking Spray?  never heard of it.  How is it different from Baker’s Joy.  I love Baker’s Joy.  I go out of my way to obtain it (drive a long distance or order online). 

Signature 

Posted: 22 February 2014 01:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Jeanne - 17 February 2014 07:17 PM

More converts! wink

I was thinking about it at work today and wondered about the possibilities of subbing coconut flour, or hazelnut flour, or pistachio flour…. and since I am in the midst of wedding consults and no one has any vegan requests coming up, I’m not going to be able to make it with any of those variations for a while yet….. although now I am wondering about subbing the gluten free flour replacement from King Arthur for the flour in this recipe…hmmm! The possibilities!!!

Jeanne, I do not have the demand for cakes like you….but I have been wondering of the possibilities myself…. for all the folks with dietary restrictions or preferences.  I will be adding these to my famed bucket list…. (on which I have made some progress). 

Signature 

Posted: 22 February 2014 01:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Flour Girl - 20 February 2014 12:35 AM

I posted some pics below. You will see only 5 cakelettes in one of the pics because my husband came home as I was taking pictures cheese

That is funny!.....  thank you for all of the detail.  This thread has me on the edge of my barstool. 

Signature 

Posted: 22 February 2014 10:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
CRenee - 22 February 2014 12:58 AM
Flour Girl - 16 February 2014 11:40 AM

I like this pan because you can drizzle the glaze and it gives a cruller appearance.

https://www.nordicware.com/store/product_detail/heritage-bundtlette-cake-pan#.UwDn3ChBBSU

Well that is pretty.  Now I gotta go buy another pan smile wink

cool smile Thank you!

Posted: 22 February 2014 10:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
CRenee - 22 February 2014 01:23 AM
Flour Girl - 20 February 2014 12:35 AM

I posted some pics below. You will see only 5 cakelettes in one of the pics because my husband came home as I was taking pictures cheese

That is funny!.....  thank you for all of the detail.  This thread has me on the edge of my barstool.

wink LOL

Posted: 22 February 2014 10:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
CRenee - 22 February 2014 01:06 AM
Flour Girl - 17 February 2014 12:33 AM

I usually use Spectrum Baking Spray but for this recipe I will make sure to use Baker’s Joy. 

Flour Girl, Spectrum Baking Spray?  never heard of it.  How is it different from Baker’s Joy.  I love Baker’s Joy.  I go out of my way to obtain it (drive a long distance or order online). 

Hi CRenee,
There are big differences between the two. I use Baker’s Joy for bundt pans but I will experiment and try the Spectrum since I will be having the bundts with the the Wowie cake baking in it.

Baker’s Joy is Soybean oil. SPECTRUM CANOLA OIL BAKING SPRAY WITH FLOUR uses expeller expressed (oil is extracted without the use of chemicals).

The ingredients in Bakers Joy are:

Soybean oil, propellant (isobutane propellant), hydroxylated soy lecithin, soy lecithin, enriched wheat flour )Niacin, iron, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid, silicon dioxide, TBHQ (to ensure freshness).

The can goes on to read it is not a significant source of transfat, which, to me, is not a zero.

Spectrum ingredients are: Mechanically (expeller) expressed canola oil, soy lecithin, wheat flour, propellent (no choloflurocarbons).

The difference in price is $4. I prefer to use as healthy ingredients as I can find without compromising the end result. To me, it is worth the extra money.

Posted: 22 February 2014 10:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

I made another batch of these yesterday but experimented with the quantity of the batter in each cavity.

I determined the quantity of batter to be 781g. I was actually able to use 770g. I made 5 of the cakelets 130g and 1 at 120.  My first batch was <100g/cakelet.

I thought the 120g cakelet was the perfect size as compared to both batches I made.

Posted: 22 February 2014 12:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24

thank you Flour girl, now I will have to try to find the Spectrum.  Guess I will look for that when I look for the bundlette. 

Signature 

Posted: 22 February 2014 12:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
CRenee - 22 February 2014 12:13 PM

thank you Flour girl, now I will have to try to find the Spectrum.  Guess I will look for that when I look for the bundlette.

You’re welcome CRenee,

The Spectrum spray should be in your store’s nutrition section next to the Spectrum oil. It is not in the baking section of any store I have shopped in. I see Amazon carries it too.

Posted: 27 February 2014 12:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Flour Girl - 22 February 2014 12:38 PM
CRenee - 22 February 2014 12:13 PM

You’re welcome CRenee,

The Spectrum spray should be in your store’s nutrition section next to the Spectrum oil. It is not in the baking section of any store I have shopped in. I see Amazon carries it too.

I tested Spectrum spray in the buundtlette pan and the cakelets fell out when I inverted the pan. Also, they did not have that topical greasiness you sometimes get if you spray too heavily.

Posted: 06 March 2014 08:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  338
Joined  2011-12-25

Hi Flourgirl,

I used Flaxseed meal instead of almond flour in the Wowie cake and added almond extract. I will keep trying different kinds of ingredients in this cake just for the fun of it.

I will buy that Spectrum spray when I find it. I like that idea.

Thanks for the great ideas.

Abbey

Posted: 06 March 2014 12:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Hi! How did the cake taste with flaxseed meal?

Trader Joe has cashew meal. I might try that.

After making many Hazelnut versions, I think I prefer the almond after all. I like the taste better and I think it bakes a little more moist.

The Spectrum seems to be a healthier alternative and, for me, works just as well. I don’t know if I would trust it for very intricately-detailed bundt pans though. One day I will try it if the bundt is only for my family. They don’t cake about perfection but I do.

Have a gr8 day!!

Posted: 06 March 2014 07:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  338
Joined  2011-12-25

Hi there!

Flaxseed meal has a mild, nutty flavor but since I added 1 t. almond extract(meant to add 1/2) and 1/2 t. vanilla extract, the flavor was not really noticeable.  I think the almond flour is best. The cashew flour might be good? Might as well give it a try. Could you taste the Hazelnut flour? 

I will continue to experiment with this cake. It’s fun and so easy! grin I baked the Banana Refrigerator Cake too, doubled the recipe and used a 9in pan, a loaf pan and, after seeing your little cakelettes, dug out my mini bundt pan. They were so cute. 

My grandma is doing well, thanks for asking. Her potassium levels were very high but she is all balanced now. Many foods are high in potassium so feeding her is a challenge. But she is fine and will be turning 98 this month. How’s you uncle doing?

Panera Bread is a restaurant, full of the best desserts and breads. They do promote healthy foods like salads, sandwiches and soups(butternut squash soup is my fav) but resisting the desserts is impossible so, what do you do?? wink

Let me know about the cashew flour. And I hope you have a relaxing evening. 

Image Attachments
bundty1.jpgbananab.jpg

3 of 8