4 of 8
Dairy-Free Cake
Posted: 07 March 2014 10:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1651
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 06 March 2014 07:40 PM

Hi there!

Flaxseed meal has a mild, nutty flavor but since I added 1 t. almond extract(meant to add 1/2) and 1/2 t. vanilla extract, the flavor was not really noticeable.  I think the almond flour is best. The cashew flour might be good? Might as well give it a try. Could you taste the Hazelnut flour? 

I will continue to experiment with this cake. It’s fun and so easy! grin I baked the Banana Refrigerator Cake too, doubled the recipe and used a 9in pan, a loaf pan and, after seeing your little cakelettes, dug out my mini bundt pan. They were so cute. 

My grandma is doing well, thanks for asking. Her potassium levels were very high but she is all balanced now. Many foods are high in potassium so feeding her is a challenge. But she is fine and will be turning 98 this month. How’s you uncle doing?

Panera Bread is a restaurant, full of the best desserts and breads. They do promote healthy foods like salads, sandwiches and soups(butternut squash soup is my fav) but resisting the desserts is impossible so, what do you do?? wink

Let me know about the cashew flour. And I hope you have a relaxing evening. 

Good Morning!

Ninty-Eight!!! Bless your Grandma!!  I’m glad to hear your grandma is doing well. It is good she is monitored so closely. She is very lucky to have such a devoted granddaughter, as you, Abbey.

Thank you for asking about my uncle. I sent him Flo Braker’s Banana Streusel Cake and Alice Medrich’s Blondies for his birthday. He loved them. He had oral surgery last week and is getting a lower denture so I won’t be sending him cake for a while.

Wow that bundt cake is gorgeous!  Which cake did you bake in that pan? I love that pan. Which pan is it? Your other cakes look great too! Did you serve all those cakes?

I don’t know if I tasted the hazelnut. It was different, for sure. But, I think the cakes baked differently in the bundtlette as opposed to the cake pan. I bake the cakelets for 21 minutes and the 8inch cake for 35 minutes. How long did you bake them?

Panera Bread is a restaurant? I never knew that! I was wondering why a bread bakery would need a drive-up window. LOL!

I baked my first cookies yesterday, King Arthur’s Essential Chocolate Chip-Chewy. After the recommended time, mine appeared raw so I baked it an additional 2 minutes. That was a mistake. They were good but I don’t think they were that chewy (I didn’t try them).  Also, they spread more than I thought they would. I was supposed to use 1 rounded TB/cookie. I used Oxo’s Medium Cookie Scoop (1 1/2 TB) but used only a level scoop instead of rounding it. Maybe I had too much batter and need to get a smaller scoop???

Abbey, thanks for posting those pics. I really enjoyed seeing them and chatting with you. Have a gr8 day!!

Posted: 07 March 2014 03:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  338
Joined  2011-12-25

Hi Flourgirl,

Here’s a pic of the pan which I think is a Wilton. Is that a good brand? It did it’s job well. I used the spray and when it was time, they cooperated. I kept an eye on them, while in the oven and they didn’t take long at all.  Only trouble with those little devils was-too easy to eat. There were only two left. I took the loaf cake to work and took the round one to my Grandma’s house to share with her family.

I can’t take much credit for caring for my Grandma, since it is her daughter that does most of the work. She is a nurse and cares for her most of the time, including doctor visits, etc.  I just watch her when her daughter is working. Your uncle with have new chompers to eat better and more. hehe. I hope he likes them and they fit well.

Your first ever batch of cookies? Congratulations!! Cookies are fun and easy. Maybe we can find ways so you can eat them. I use flaxseed in my oatmeal cookies. Did I tell you that flaxseeds and water can replace eggs? I think cookies made with butter tend to cook flatter and more flour can make a taller cookie. I’m just pulling from the top of my head but I will provide more help for you when I get home. 

OM, I’m so glad Panera doesn’t have a drive-thru. Funny!!!!

L8r G8r!! smile

Image Attachments
bntdypan.jpgoven.jpg

Posted: 09 March 2014 10:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 07 March 2014 03:37 PM

Hi Flourgirl,

Here’s a pic of the pan which I think is a Wilton. Is that a good brand? It did it’s job well. I used the spray and when it was time, they cooperated. I kept an eye on them, while in the oven and they didn’t take long at all.  Only trouble with those little devils was-too easy to eat. There were only two left. I took the loaf cake to work and took the round one to my Grandma’s house to share with her family.

I can’t take much credit for caring for my Grandma, since it is her daughter that does most of the work. She is a nurse and cares for her most of the time, including doctor visits, etc.  I just watch her when her daughter is working. Your uncle with have new chompers to eat better and more. hehe. I hope he likes them and they fit well.

Your first ever batch of cookies? Congratulations!! Cookies are fun and easy. Maybe we can find ways so you can eat them. I use flaxseed in my oatmeal cookies. Did I tell you that flaxseeds and water can replace eggs? I think cookies made with butter tend to cook flatter and more flour can make a taller cookie. I’m just pulling from the top of my head but I will provide more help for you when I get home. 

OM, I’m so glad Panera doesn’t have a drive-thru. Funny!!!!

L8r G8r!! smile

Good Morning Abbey,

I don’t like this time change. It will take me until Fall to get used to it.

Your grandma is very lucky to have such a loving family. You are such a good granddaughter!!

Your pans are lovely! Wilton is a very widely-used brand. There are some Wilton pieces Rose recommends in RHC. 

I think those pans are good portion control. Actually, I would cut my piece smaller if it were in a regular pan. I also think the bundtlette bakes the Wowie Cake a little differently. The consistency is more in line with regular cakes, in my opinion, when baked in a bundtlette. My experience has been the Wowie cake baked in a regular baking pan is more moist but bordering on the under-baked. I like both. I think I will be baking the Hazelnut in a bundtlette today.

Yes, these chocolate chips were my first cookie. I think I have to get a smaller scoop. Next time I make them, I will refrigerate the dough overnight. That is a recommendation to prevent the cookies from going flat.

I’m considering a biscotti. It seems this particular biscotti, in The King Arthur Cookie Companion, has no cholesterol.  If I find the time to experiment today, I might make it instead of the Wowie cake.

We are having a beautiful day. The birds are singing. I am really looking forward to Spring.

What are your plans for today?

Posted: 10 March 2014 11:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Hi Dear Flourgirl,

Sorry I didnt’ get back to you yesterday. It was one of those days, Saturday too, that I just couldn’t get going. I get so mad at myself for being lazy esp since I had grand plans to make cookies with oil and bananas that would sub for butter and eggs. Had also bought an 8in pan for one of Rose’s cakes and had spent time looking through her cookbooks. Oh well, I guess I can look forward to next weekend. smile

It was a beautiful weekend here but a bit windy. Today it is 73*. I ‘ll take it!!

Do you have a garden?

Thank you for all the very nice compliments. You are a sweet woman and a good niece as well.

Oh and I like your idea about using the bundtylette pan for the Wowie cake. I will do that next time for sure.

While looking through Rose’s Cookie cookbook, I saw her Golden Biscotti cookies. You will have to let me know how you did with your recipe.

I hope you have a wonderful day and that you weren’t too tired after losing an hour. While driving to work, I kept thinking how it was really earlier than the clock said. wink

Abbey  

Posted: 10 March 2014 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  158
Joined  2011-06-02
Flour Girl - 07 March 2014 10:56 AM

Good Morning!

I baked my first cookies yesterday, King Arthur’s Essential Chocolate Chip-Chewy. After the recommended time, mine appeared raw so I baked it an additional 2 minutes. That was a mistake. They were good but I don’t think they were that chewy (I didn’t try them).  Also, they spread more than I thought they would. I was supposed to use 1 rounded TB/cookie. I used Oxo’s Medium Cookie Scoop (1 1/2 TB) but used only a level scoop instead of rounding it. Maybe I had too much batter and need to get a smaller scoop???

Oh Gosh, Flour Girl, I’m so proud of you for baking you first cookies! Mazal Tov!
Yes, a lot of chewy cookies require you to take the cookies out even when they look raw. That’s why I often split the entire dough into several piece, then bake the scoop from each piece onto one baking sheet, and bake for different amounts of time to see how long I should bake the the optimal results, and then I write it down next to the recipe so I’ll remember next time.
About the cookie scoop- Maybe, but you could also divide the entire weight of the dough into the number of cookies it should yield, then see if one level scoop of dough weighs the same!

By the way, I just made the wowie cake- though from Dede Wilson’s book. She doesn’t use weights so my measurements were a little different than the ones you posted [192 flour; 33g cocoa], but my main concern was that the cake was a bit sticky on the “crust”. Did you find that too? Could it be because of the flour?
I used a loaf pan BTW.

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 10 March 2014 01:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 10 March 2014 11:11 AM

Hi Dear Flourgirl,

Sorry I didnt’ get back to you yesterday. It was one of those days, Saturday too, that I just couldn’t get going. I get so mad at myself for being lazy esp since I had grand plans to make cookies with oil and bananas that would sub for butter and eggs. Had also bought an 8in pan for one of Rose’s cakes and had spent time looking through her cookbooks. Oh well, I guess I can look forward to next weekend. smile

It was a beautiful weekend here but a bit windy. Today it is 73*. I ‘ll take it!!

Do you have a garden?

Thank you for all the very nice compliments. You are a sweet woman and a good niece as well.

Oh and I like your idea about using the bundtylette pan for the Wowie cake. I will do that next time for sure.

While looking through Rose’s Cookie cookbook, I saw her Golden Biscotti cookies. You will have to let me know how you did with your recipe.

I hope you have a wonderful day and that you weren’t too tired after losing an hour. While driving to work, I kept thinking how it was really earlier than the clock said. wink

Abbey  

Hi Abbey,

Yesterday was one of those days for me too. I really don’t like daylight saving time. I am a morning person but I just can’t get used this.

I never tried Rose’s biscotti. The biscotti I made yesterday came out beautiful if you look at it and don’t have to eat it. It was way too hard. I don’t like to eat mush but the only way to eat that biscotti was to dunk it. I sent all the biscotti with my husband to give to his co-workers. Not making that again.

I’m making my tried and true Wowie cake today. I actually miss it when I don’t have it.

Have a gr8 Monday!

Posted: 10 March 2014 01:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
McBrownie - 10 March 2014 12:54 PM

Good Morning!

Oh Gosh, Flour Girl, I’m so proud of you for baking you first cookies! Mazal Tov!
Yes, a lot of chewy cookies require you to take the cookies out even when they look raw. That’s why I often split the entire dough into several piece, then bake the scoop from each piece onto one baking sheet, and bake for different amounts of time to see how long I should bake the the optimal results, and then I write it down next to the recipe so I’ll remember next time.
About the cookie scoop- Maybe, but you could also divide the entire weight of the dough into the number of cookies it should yield, then see if one level scoop of dough weighs the same!

By the way, I just made the wowie cake- though from Dede Wilson’s book. She doesn’t use weights so my measurements were a little different than the ones you posted [192 flour; 33g cocoa], but my main concern was that the cake was a bit sticky on the “crust”. Did you find that too? Could it be because of the flour?
I used a loaf pan BTW.

Hello McBrownie! Nice to see you grin

Thank you so much for the cookie advice. I’ll definitely try that recipe again, although it seemed way too sweet for my taste. My family liked it. I’ll try your advice and experiment a little. The recipe calls for the cookie dough making 48 cookies. I halved the recipe and did achieve 24. Does that mean the scoop was accurate?

How did your Wowie cake come out in a loaf pan? Was it thoroughly baked? Did it rise? The cocoa version is a little drier than is the almond version, in my opinion.

I think the top can be a bit sticky but that diminished when I baked it until the maximum time of 35 minutes. When I use the bundtlette there was no stickiness, especially when I used hazelnut flour. I bake the bundtlette 21 minutes.  I do have to spray the bottom of the cooling rack to prevent possible sticking.

So nice to speak to you again. I hope to see you soon.

Posted: 10 March 2014 04:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
McBrownie - 10 March 2014 12:54 PM

Good Morning!

I used a loaf pan BTW.

Hi McBrownie,

I just finished baking the Wowie Cake using almond flour (37g) in place of the cocoa. The top is not tacky at all. I baked it for 35 minutes and used an 8x2 round aluminum baking pan.

How did you decide on 192g of flour? Do you have unbleached AP flour where you live?  Perhaps if you added a little more flour, the stickiness would be diminished?? I used 213g and I based my calculations on Rose’s weight chart in TP&PB;.

Did you use cold water? Cold water works and room temperature water seems to not work (for me) in this recipe.

Here are some pics of my dessert tonight.

I hope you are having a wonderful day.

Image Attachments
unnamed-1.jpgunnamed-2.jpgunnamed-3.jpgunnamed.jpg

Posted: 25 March 2014 11:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25
Flour Girl - 10 March 2014 01:11 PM
abbey - 10 March 2014 11:11 AM

Hi Dear Flourgirl,

Do you have a garden?

Abbey  

Hi Abbey,

Yesterday was one of those days for me too. I really don’t like daylight saving time. I am a morning person but I just can’t get used this.

I never tried Rose’s biscotti. The biscotti I made yesterday came out beautiful if you look at it and don’t have to eat it. It was way too hard. I don’t like to eat mush but the only way to eat that biscotti was to dunk it. I sent all the biscotti with my husband to give to his co-workers. Not making that again.

I’m making my tried and true Wowie cake today. I actually miss it when I don’t have it.

Have a gr8 Monday!

Hi Dear Flourgirl,

I’m really starting to love that Wowie Cake and can pretty much mix it up at the last minute on Sunday nights, after baking all the other sweet treats that take much more attention. 

A new Natural Grocer’s just opened here that has some really cool products. I bought some whole wheat pastry flour because I remembered Rose using it in one of her recipes. As soon as I get myself rested and back to normal, I’ll find it and use that flour. Also found some baking cocoa that I will use in the Wowie cake, along with the cake Anne posted.

The prices there aren’t as bad as I thought they would be. Finding Macadamia nuts, at a reasonable price and “unsalted” isn’t easy, but they had them and they were “refrigerated”. I will shop there without hesitation from now on. 

What are you baking these days? Miss talking to you!!  Have a fantastic day, flourgirl!!

Abbey

Posted: 26 March 2014 12:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Hi Dear Flourgirl,

I’m really starting to love that Wowie Cake and can pretty much mix it up at the last minute on Sunday nights, after baking all the other sweet treats that take much more attention. 

A new Natural Grocer’s just opened here that has some really cool products. I bought some whole wheat pastry flour because I remembered Rose using it in one of her recipes. As soon as I get myself rested and back to normal, I’ll find it and use that flour. Also found some baking cocoa that I will use in the Wowie cake, along with the cake Anne posted.

The prices there aren’t as bad as I thought they would be. Finding Macadamia nuts, at a reasonable price and “unsalted” isn’t easy, but they had them and they were “refrigerated”. I will shop there without hesitation from now on. 

What are you baking these days? Miss talking to you!!  Have a fantastic day, flourgirl!!

Abbey

Hi Abbey! I miss talking to you too!

That Natural Grocers sounds like a cool store. We don’t have it around here but I do go to a local health store which carries a lot of the ingredients I need for baking. Alll nuts should be refrigerated. Their oils make them subject to becoming rancid. Every health food store I ever shopped had their nuts refrigerated. When I get them home, I stick them in the freezer. Flax seeds too.

I wish Trader Joe had their nuts in the refrigerator. I like their baking pieces because it does not have to be further chopped. But, as soon as they get home, in the freezer they go. Flours, by the way, have a shelf life. If you have a flour you will not finish by the freshness date, it should be in the freezer too (according to King Arthur’s Flour).

I’m so glad you are enjoying the Wowie cake. Lately I had a few sink in the middle. When I cut it, there was a pudding-like gooeyness I found inedible. Next time I make it they will definitely be in the form on bundtlettes. I wonder if a regular tube pan would work? Hmm, I should try it.

Yesterday I baked Nathalie Dupree’s Chocolate Kisses cookies. They were exceptional. A piece broke off one of the cookies and I tried it…YUM! I miss butter.

I missed you Abbey. I hope we talk again soon.

Posted: 26 March 2014 03:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Flours, by the way, have a shelf life. If you have a flour you will not finish by the freshness date, it should be in the freezer too (according to King Arthur’s Flour).

Ain’t it the truth!  I had some flours in the freezer for a while, so I put a little out on a dish to return them to return temp taste them.  To me, they didn’t taste fresh enough—they didn’t taste rancid, but they didn’t taste right.  So I got new flour, and I tasted it.  It tasted just like bread—so much better than the flour that had been frozen for (evidently) too long!  So be sure and taste your flour, even if it’s been frozen!

Posted: 27 March 2014 12:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Hi Flourgirl,

Yep, and I love the way you put it into words. Though I didn’t know about flour. I guess it is best to use it up asap. Reading and learning from you all has me buying flours that I wouldn’t normally have even known about. I guess I’ll just have to bake even more!!

You know, the macadamia nuts from NG were refrigerated but didn’t have much flavor. Do you think they just needed to warm up to room temp, kinda like cheese, to bring out the flavor. I’ll set them out this weekend and use them in a bread or a cookie recipe.

You just don’t know how that Wowie cake is gonna come out - different every time for me. But this last one was perfection. Just like the real thing—oh, and I bet you do miss butter. But you are a good girl to be so disciplined. It is not easy but once you get into that habit…you are set, but I’m glad that cookie was there for you!! smile Gotta have a little fun. Are those the peanut butter cookies with the C - Kiss melted in.?

I agree completely with you about the bundtlette pan. And that is a reminder to me for when I bake it again. It is a perfect way to share and to carry them. Cooking time would be much less, as I recall, they were a little bit over-cooked but cute as a button.

I’ve missed you dear girl. Work gets busy around this time of year so all my energy gets used up making the $$. I’m not complaining, not really. HEHE!! 

Have an incredible day, whatever you do!!

Keep in touch and I always want to hear about what you are baking!!

Abbey wink

Posted: 28 March 2014 11:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 27 March 2014 12:20 PM

Hi Flourgirl,

Yep, and I love the way you put it into words. Though I didn’t know about flour. I guess it is best to use it up asap. Reading and learning from you all has me buying flours that I wouldn’t normally have even known about. I guess I’ll just have to bake even more!!

You know, the macadamia nuts from NG were refrigerated but didn’t have much flavor. Do you think they just needed to warm up to room temp, kinda like cheese, to bring out the flavor. I’ll set them out this weekend and use them in a bread or a cookie recipe.

You just don’t know how that Wowie cake is gonna come out - different every time for me. But this last one was perfection. Just like the real thing—oh, and I bet you do miss butter. But you are a good girl to be so disciplined. It is not easy but once you get into that habit…you are set, but I’m glad that cookie was there for you!! smile Gotta have a little fun. Are those the peanut butter cookies with the C - Kiss melted in.?

I agree completely with you about the bundtlette pan. And that is a reminder to me for when I bake it again. It is a perfect way to share and to carry them. Cooking time would be much less, as I recall, they were a little bit over-cooked but cute as a button.

I’ve missed you dear girl. Work gets busy around this time of year so all my energy gets used up making the $$. I’m not complaining, not really. HEHE!! 

Have an incredible day, whatever you do!!

Keep in touch and I always want to hear about what you are baking!!

Abbey wink

Hi Abbey,  I have missed you too. I’m glad to hear you are busy at work. With this economy, anyone with a job is fortunate.

Yes, the nuts really don’t have a taste until they come to room temperature. Based on your advice, I have several containers to store different flours in the pantry. I’ll buy smaller quantities and discard them after a year. Thank you! You have taught me a lot too!

I found the Wowie cake made in the bundtlette bakes perfectly at 21 minutes with the shelf placed on the lower third position. That time is for a quantity of 100-120g per cakelet.

Here is the recipe for Nathalie Dupree’s Chocolate Chip Cookies. I used a combination of 8oz of chocolate kisses and 8 oz of chocolate chips. These are really, really good:

http://www.floras-hideout.com/recipes/recipes.php?page=recipes&data=choc/Chocolate_Kiss_Cookies_nathalie_Dupree

Have a gr8 weekend Abbey!! I look forward to chatting with you again soon.

Posted: 31 March 2014 09:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Thank you for the cookie recipe. I saved it and will try those soon. I didn’t get the Wowie cake baked this weekend but hope to next weekend. I bought some blueberries and cherries at that ‘Natural Grocers’ and wondered if I could add one of those to the cake? I keep trying to imagine what I could add to that cake to jazz it up a bit. I did make oatmeal cookies with the cherries and macadamia nuts. Very good! I wanted to make Rose’s Banana Refrig cake and add the blueberries but didn’t get to that either. I was determined to bake the cake that Anne posted.         

I bought some glass containers for my flours and sugar that I love. Yes, I’ve learned plenty from you and look forward to more!! smile

I agree with you totally about how important it is to have a job these days and feel very fortunate to have one that I love.

I hope you are having a good evening, Flour Girl, and thanks again for your help!

Posted: 02 April 2014 12:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 31 March 2014 09:02 PM

Thank you for the cookie recipe. I saved it and will try those soon. I didn’t get the Wowie cake baked this weekend but hope to next weekend. I bought some blueberries and cherries at that ‘Natural Grocers’ and wondered if I could add one of those to the cake? I keep trying to imagine what I could add to that cake to jazz it up a bit. I did make oatmeal cookies with the cherries and macadamia nuts. Very good! I wanted to make Rose’s Banana Refrig cake and add the blueberries but didn’t get to that either. I was determined to bake the cake that Anne posted.         

I bought some glass containers for my flours and sugar that I love. Yes, I’ve learned plenty from you and look forward to more!! smile

I agree with you totally about how important it is to have a job these days and feel very fortunate to have one that I love.

I hope you are having a good evening, Flour Girl, and thanks again for your help!

Hi Abbey,

I don’t know. I never tried it. It sounds lovely. If you try it please let me know your results. I would definitely want to try it.

I love oatmeal cookies. At one time that was all I snacked on. I have to find an oil-based recipe.

Glass containers sound so nice. I usually avoid plastic but my flour containers hold 10 pounds so I bought it.

Yes, try the cookies. They are very good.

Have a gr8day!!

4 of 8