5 of 8
Dairy-Free Cake
Posted: 02 April 2014 02:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3149
Joined  2010-04-25

Hey, FG—you could make a granola instead of oatmeal cookies. They usually have lots of oats and use oil (rather than butter). There’s a recipe for it in the first Baked book—New Frontiers.  Here’s a link to their recipe:  http://www.amateurgourmet.com/2009/01/easy_homemade_g.html (I’m having a Baked year).

Posted: 02 April 2014 05:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  237
Joined  2011-12-25

Hi Abbey,

I don’t know. I never tried it. It sounds lovely. If you try it please let me know your results. I would definitely want to try it.

I love oatmeal cookies. At one time that was all I snacked on. I have to find an oil-based recipe.

Glass containers sound so nice. I usually avoid plastic but my flour containers hold 10 pounds so I bought it.

Yes, try the cookies. They are very good.

Have a gr8day!!
===============================================

Hi Flour Girl,

Yes, I understand. These glass containers are from Target. They remind me of the old-fashioned candy jars used in drugstores.

I don’t know if you have read Anne’s replies to you, but she pretty much explained about THAT cake and provided some recipes for an oil-based cookie recipe, using granola, that sounds interesting.

BTW, that cake was beyond good. I will definitely bake that one again. I managed to save some for my Grandma tonight. She will probably turn cartwheels. wink

Talk to you soon, dear flourgirl. I will have to get those Baker’s books!!!

Posted: 03 April 2014 11:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17
Anne in NC - 02 April 2014 02:48 PM

Hey, FG—you could make a granola instead of oatmeal cookies. They usually have lots of oats and use oil (rather than butter). There’s a recipe for it in the first Baked book—New Frontiers.  Here’s a link to their recipe:  http://www.amateurgourmet.com/2009/01/easy_homemade_g.html (I’m having a Baked year).

Hi Anne, That is a very interesting recipe. I should try it. I have all the Baked books, as you know, and that recipe has always caught my attention. Thanks for reminding me!!

Posted: 03 April 2014 12:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 02 April 2014 05:06 PM

Hi Abbey,

I don’t know. I never tried it. It sounds lovely. If you try it please let me know your results. I would definitely want to try it.

I love oatmeal cookies. At one time that was all I snacked on. I have to find an oil-based recipe.

Glass containers sound so nice. I usually avoid plastic but my flour containers hold 10 pounds so I bought it.

Yes, try the cookies. They are very good.

Have a gr8day!!
===============================================

Hi Flour Girl,

Yes, I understand. These glass containers are from Target. They remind me of the old-fashioned candy jars used in drugstores.

I don’t know if you have read Anne’s replies to you, but she pretty much explained about THAT cake and provided some recipes for an oil-based cookie recipe, using granola, that sounds interesting.

BTW, that cake was beyond good. I will definitely bake that one again. I managed to save some for my Grandma tonight. She will probably turn cartwheels. wink

Talk to you soon, dear flourgirl. I will have to get those Baker’s books!!!

I know exactly what you are talking about Abbey. Thank you! I will check it out!

Which flavor cake did you bake? I am eating a chocolate version now. I found making sure the oven is really hot and baking the cake a minute or two longer prevented the center from sinking. I tried a baking core and did not have a good result with this particular cake; although I have had success with other cakes.

I am baking a peach cobbler from Nathalie Dupree’s book today. My first time so I hope it comes out good.

I’ll let you know.

Have a gr8 day! grin

Posted: 04 April 2014 08:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Howdy Flourgirl,

I found Nathalie Dupree’s cobbler recipe on-line just to see if it used fresh peaches. Did you bake it yet?

I didn’t make the Wowie cake, only found the time for that cake Anne posted. I will try to include it in my weekend baking though and hopefully figure out a new twist. I do have the prettiest little dried blueberries which might pair well with the Wowie cake using the almond flour? What do you tink?

I hope your peach cobbler was a success. I might have to pick some perfect peaches at the store tomorrow and whip that one up, too. wink Thanks for that idea! 

I hope you are having a fabulous Friday evening. Nothing much better than a Friday night, except a Saturday night. smile 

Abbey

Posted: 04 April 2014 09:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Hi Abbey,

Ooooo, I like the idea of dried blueberries. I can’t wait to hear about your results.

My peach cobbler was so-so. I have never seen a cobbler before. This recipe called for a 9x13 pan. Maybe I didn’t use enough (frozen) peaches but it was pretty flat. My family liked the taste. I think that recipe would have worked with more peaches.

I’ll try it again some time. There are so many books in the library I want to use to bake I keep forgetting about the recipes in the books I already have.

Today I baked Rose’s Apple Cinnamon Surprise from TBB. I replaced the apple with pears. It came out perfect.

Have a good evening. Talk to you real soon.

Posted: 06 April 2014 11:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Flourgirl,

I think you would like this idea. Just a few blueberries really added some sweetness to the cake. I got a late start but thought of all kinds of things we could do for this cake. I made one with the cocoa and added the cherries to it. It’s still cooking so I’ll let you know tomorrow.   

I probably shoulda shuffled the berries in the flour mix—next time.

Glad your Apple Cinnamon Surprise was perfect.

Goodnight!

Image Attachments
bbcke2.jpg

Posted: 07 April 2014 02:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

HI Flourgirl,

The cocoa cake came out much better than ever before, mostly because I let it bake until it was done. I wasn’t afraid, even though I could smell it was on the brink, to let it cook thoroughly. And I thought I’d made a mistake measuring the flour so I added 1/2 c. more of the flour. Well, I don’t think I was mistaken because the cake was much more dense and even better. Oh, and I added half a banana to it but couldn’t really taste it, though I could see it. smile

So….it passed the test here at work, except I think the cherries were a bit too tart. The blueberries were a perfect blend with the light almond flour cake. I had scattered a few of the cherries on the almond flour cake which turned the cake a reddish color and gave it a cherry flavor. I thought that was odd.

Anyway, I think it is a great recipe, really do. I used the flour spray(I’m getting better) and had no issues. I think the solution is making sure it is completely done. Then it is just left to our imaginations as to what we can create.

I thought those chocolate covered coffee beans would be good in it but I ran out of time. They will not go bad so I’ll do that next weekend. The sky is the limit, right?

I hope you are doing well and I’m sorry the peach cobbler didn’t turn out well. At least you didn’t leave out the sugar. grin

Talk to you soon, I hope!

Abbey

Image Attachments
chdepres.jpgdar.jpg

Posted: 08 April 2014 06:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 06 April 2014 11:16 PM

Flourgirl,

I think you would like this idea. Just a few blueberries really added some sweetness to the cake. I got a late start but thought of all kinds of things we could do for this cake. I made one with the cocoa and added the cherries to it. It’s still cooking so I’ll let you know tomorrow.   

I probably shoulda shuffled the berries in the flour mix—next time.

Glad your Apple Cinnamon Surprise was perfect.

Goodnight!

WOW! That looks bursting with blueberries. My whole family would LOVE it. Did you use dried berries? I have frozen berries. Do you think they would be too heavy for the batter?

In one of Flo Braker’s recipes, she doesn’t coat the berries with flour. She drops them on top of the batter and, when baked, they disperse through the cake. i believe one of Rose’s recipes is similar although it might be a variation. I’m wondering if this batter could sustain regular, un-dried, berries or if the weight will cause a negative outcome. I have to try it.  Thank you Abbey !!

Posted: 08 April 2014 06:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 07 April 2014 02:59 PM

HI Flourgirl,

The cocoa cake came out much better than ever before, mostly because I let it bake until it was done. I wasn’t afraid, even though I could smell it was on the brink, to let it cook thoroughly. And I thought I’d made a mistake measuring the flour so I added 1/2 c. more of the flour. Well, I don’t think I was mistaken because the cake was much more dense and even better. Oh, and I added half a banana to it but couldn’t really taste it, though I could see it. smile

So….it passed the test here at work, except I think the cherries were a bit too tart. The blueberries were a perfect blend with the light almond flour cake. I had scattered a few of the cherries on the almond flour cake which turned the cake a reddish color and gave it a cherry flavor. I thought that was odd.

Anyway, I think it is a great recipe, really do. I used the flour spray(I’m getting better) and had no issues. I think the solution is making sure it is completely done. Then it is just left to our imaginations as to what we can create.

I thought those chocolate covered coffee beans would be good in it but I ran out of time. They will not go bad so I’ll do that next weekend. The sky is the limit, right?

I hope you are doing well and I’m sorry the peach cobbler didn’t turn out well. At least you didn’t leave out the sugar. grin

Talk to you soon, I hope!

Abbey

This one is going to the top of my list. I have to get dried cherries (tomorrow) and make this the next cake I bake. I finished the last piece of the chocolate version yesterday so this is perfect timing.

This cake looks very moist. I wonder if the banana added moisture? It looks like perfection! Thank you Abbey!  I will let you know my results.

Posted: 09 April 2014 11:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 71 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Hi Flourgirl-

Yes, I think you could use them. Just use small pieces.

The banana probably did add moisture-it was added to the almond flour cake, not the cocoa one. I meant to include it in the cocoa cake. I’m always afraid the banana flavor will be the main flavor so I’m careful with it. 

I used the sweetened dried blueberries and added those to the almond flour cake. I put the cherries on top of the cocoa cake. You might get sweet cherries, because those tart cherries over-powered the delicate cocoa flavor. I keep trying to figure out where those tart cherries would be best suited. They are strong.

Good luck with your adventure. I’m thinking cinnamon as a possible ingredient. smile

Have a sweet day!! 

Posted: 13 April 2014 11:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 72 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Hi Flourgirl,

I just cooked up a storm tonight that included the Wowie cake. I didn’t even measure the ground up choco covered coffee beans that I added to it just because I wanted to use them all. I didn’t add any cocoa so it should be balanced. I just took it out of the oven and it looks perfect. That oughta give us a lift tomorrow morning. smile

I was trying to figure out what to bake and noticed the White Velvet Cake used egg whites so I looked for one that would use only yolks and found the Gateau Breton. I was bery pleased with how they turned out. 

They are from the RHC cookbook. I didn’t have any problems at all. Have you made the White Velvet cake before? Did you make the Wowie cake?

Talk to you later. I wore myself out but it sure was fun!! wink

Abbey

Image Attachments
cakes_27.jpgcakes11.jpgcakes10.jpgcakes7.jpg

Posted: 20 April 2014 05:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 73 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3149
Joined  2010-04-25

How about some dairy-free cookies?

I made these today—http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Chocolate-Brownie-Cookies-51210520—they came out very well.

I used 360g powdered sugar and 70g cocoa powder.  Because I aws afraid of these being overly sweet, I used 85% chocolate (rather than the bittersweet called for) and 1-3/4 c. finly chopped walnuts (no nuts are called for), and salted them before baking.  They were perfect!!!!  The cookies use 2 egg whites and one egg, but I believe (from similar recipes), you could sub the whole egg for 2 whites if you wanted to.  The chocolate, nus and yolk are hte only sources of fat.

They are crispy to bite into, and chewy on the inside— like a brownie exterior/interior.

If I weren’t making these for a coffee-hating friend, I would have probably added 2T instant espresso, but they really didn’t need it, either.

Posted: 21 April 2014 10:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 74 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Those look worth trying. OM the espresso would be fun. smile

Posted: 28 June 2014 12:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 75 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 13 April 2014 11:34 PM

Hi Flourgirl,

I just cooked up a storm tonight that included the Wowie cake. I didn’t even measure the ground up choco covered coffee beans that I added to it just because I wanted to use them all. I didn’t add any cocoa so it should be balanced. I just took it out of the oven and it looks perfect. That oughta give us a lift tomorrow morning. smile

I was trying to figure out what to bake and noticed the White Velvet Cake used egg whites so I looked for one that would use only yolks and found the Gateau Breton. I was bery pleased with how they turned out. 

They are from the RHC cookbook. I didn’t have any problems at all. Have you made the White Velvet cake before? Did you make the Wowie cake?

Talk to you later. I wore myself out but it sure was fun!! wink

Abbey

Everything looks yummy my friend.

5 of 8