6 of 8
Dairy-Free Cake
Posted: 28 June 2014 12:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 76 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1616
Joined  2011-02-17
Anne in NC - 20 April 2014 05:07 PM

How about some dairy-free cookies?

I made these today—http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Chocolate-Brownie-Cookies-51210520—they came out very well.

I used 360g powdered sugar and 70g cocoa powder.  Because I aws afraid of these being overly sweet, I used 85% chocolate (rather than the bittersweet called for) and 1-3/4 c. finly chopped walnuts (no nuts are called for), and salted them before baking.  They were perfect!!!!  The cookies use 2 egg whites and one egg, but I believe (from similar recipes), you could sub the whole egg for 2 whites if you wanted to.  The chocolate, nus and yolk are hte only sources of fat.

They are crispy to bite into, and chewy on the inside— like a brownie exterior/interior.

If I weren’t making these for a coffee-hating friend, I would have probably added 2T instant espresso, but they really didn’t need it, either.

I definitely have to try this. One egg yolk divided between 24 cookies=7.3mg cholesterol/cookie. That is barely any cholesterol. The great thing about this recipe is butter is not used.

Thanx Anne!

Posted: 28 June 2014 11:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 77 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  317
Joined  2011-12-25

Hey dear Flour Girl Friend, Thanks and it was yummy. Glad to see you. Missed you!! smile

Posted: 29 June 2014 12:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 78 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 28 June 2014 11:04 PM

Hey dear Flour Girl Friend, Thanks and it was yummy. Glad to see you. Missed you!! smile

Awww, I missed you too. I thought about you often but just cold not get here. Been traveling and had surgery. Everything is good. I’m glad to be back

Posted: 29 June 2014 01:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 79 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

I’m so glad to hear you had surgery and I hope you are healed. I thought of you last week after hurting my wrist. I couldn’t do much of anything with my right hand which made life difficult. It finally healed but dang it hurt.

Do you have any particular thing in mind to bake? smile

Posted: 30 June 2014 08:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 80 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 29 June 2014 01:58 PM

I’m so glad to hear you had surgery and I hope you are healed. I thought of you last week after hurting my wrist. I couldn’t do much of anything with my right hand which made life difficult. It finally healed but dang it hurt.

Do you have any particular thing in mind to bake? smile

Oh, I’m sorry to hear about your wrist. I’m glad it wasn’t a break. I’m still wearing my brace more than one year later.

No, I really haven’t decided what to bake next. My son is dieting and my up husband gets by with less cake these days. And with traveling and all that was going on, I haven’t baked much at all.

I have a July 4th party to attend. I was thinking of the Golden Lemon Almond Cake

How is your Grandma?

What have you been baking?

Posted: 30 June 2014 11:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 81 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  608
Joined  2007-11-18

FLOUR GIRL:
  Good morning. I have missed you…I did not know that you had surgery. I am happy to see you back. I hope all is well now with you young lady.

Enjoy the rest of the day my friend.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 30 June 2014 02:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 82 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Hello Young Lady, I love it when someone says that to me…:) I’m sorry to hear you are still wearing the brace. I do hope you heal that up. 

My Grandma is fine, thank you. I took her to the beauty shop last Sunday and out to dinner. She looked lovely with her new do. smile

You can’t beat that Golden Lemon Almond Cake to make the party even more fun. I always stay home anymore so hopefully something will inspire me and just in case I get company, I’ll be ready.

I never know what might inspire me but I seem to keep progressing and learning. I enjoyed making the bread and might try it again since there is a bag of oatmeal(organic) flour on my table, with a past due date on it(not by much and it was a steal), that might turn in to a tasty bread.

Pretty cake got me interested so I might as well take it as far as I can. I’m trying to think of all kinds of ways to make it more fun but this last loaf of bread was as simple as could be and was SO good.

Take good care, young lady, smile smile

Posted: 30 June 2014 07:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 83 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
~FRESHKID - 30 June 2014 11:36 AM

FLOUR GIRL:
  Good morning. I have missed you…I did not know that you had surgery. I am happy to see you back. I hope all is well now with you young lady.

Enjoy the rest of the day my friend.

~FRESHKID.

Hello My Friend,

Thank you so much! That is so sweet of you! You have made my day!

Yes, I had surgery and everything is fine now. I have also been traveling cross country. It’s been a hectic 2 months. I’ve thought about this forum often but I just wasn’t able to get here. It’s been hectic. I have hardly baked at all these past 2 months. But I’m motivated to start making some glorious Rose cakes again.

I’m so glad you are still here, my friend…you are always a joy to read and have been a mentor to me many times.

I’m looking forward to sharing many more baking experiences with you.

Have a wonderful day my friend grin

Posted: 30 June 2014 08:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 84 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 30 June 2014 02:53 PM

Hello Young Lady, I love it when someone says that to me…:) I’m sorry to hear you are still wearing the brace. I do hope you heal that up. 

My Grandma is fine, thank you. I took her to the beauty shop last Sunday and out to dinner. She looked lovely with her new do. smile

You can’t beat that Golden Lemon Almond Cake to make the party even more fun. I always stay home anymore so hopefully something will inspire me and just in case I get company, I’ll be ready.

I never know what might inspire me but I seem to keep progressing and learning. I enjoyed making the bread and might try it again since there is a bag of oatmeal(organic) flour on my table, with a past due date on it(not by much and it was a steal), that might turn in to a tasty bread.

Pretty cake got me interested so I might as well take it as far as I can. I’m trying to think of all kinds of ways to make it more fun but this last loaf of bread was as simple as could be and was SO good.

Take good care, young lady, smile smile

I love when people call me ‘young lady’ or ‘honey’...I think it is an expression of warmth..I love it!

I’m so glad to hear Grandma is doing well. What a lovely way to spend a Sunday. That is so nice. You are a very good granddaughter!

Your bread is a major achievement. I’m glad to hear you are progressing. You’ve come a long way and surpassed me. I’ve never undertaken such an ambitious project. I am tempted to try but we all eat different breads here and only 2 slices of it each day.  If it requires kneading I don’t think I can do it. I still have no strength in one arm.

I’m glad to see you are more active here. You add a lot to our group. I’m glad you are here grin

You take care too. Talk to you soon.

Posted: 30 June 2014 10:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 85 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Dear Flourgirl,

Honey, smile Don’t think for one minute that I’ve surpassed you. I only want to have fun and try new things. This is a good forum with very helpful people and you are one of the best. You welcomed me with such friendliness and I will always be thankful. Making the bread isn’t such a big deal either but kneading it does take some strength. Hopefully you will get the strength back in your arm and tackle it.  Maybe we could figure out a way to make it a healthier choice for you and for me. I gave away most of the bread just so I wouldn’t eat it. smile

Thank you for the sweet compliments, sweet flour girl.

Abbey

Posted: 01 July 2014 10:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 86 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 30 June 2014 10:08 PM

Dear Flourgirl,

Honey, smile Don’t think for one minute that I’ve surpassed you. I only want to have fun and try new things. This is a good forum with very helpful people and you are one of the best. You welcomed me with such friendliness and I will always be thankful. Making the bread isn’t such a big deal either but kneading it does take some strength. Hopefully you will get the strength back in your arm and tackle it.  Maybe we could figure out a way to make it a healthier choice for you and for me. I gave away most of the bread just so I wouldn’t eat it. smile

Thank you for the sweet compliments, sweet flour girl.

Abbey

Hi my friend…

Surpassing is a good thing! Now I can learn from you!!

That is what I would do if I baked bread. We just won’t eat it fast enough. Freezing half of it is an option. I buy our bread from Costco. I always have bread in the freezer.

Have a gr8 day my friend <3

Posted: 01 July 2014 01:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 87 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

That is Good!! And that is what it’s all about, helping each other learn while having some fun. smile

See I should have saved some of that bread by freezing it, so now I’ll have to try it again with my oatmeal flour. Hmmm, I wonder if I could use that flour in a Wowie cake—I think so! 

You are a good flour girl, do you know that and I’m so lucky to have your friendship. 

Happy Baking my dear!!

Cul8tr [8:) <3

Posted: 02 July 2014 12:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 88 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 01 July 2014 01:44 PM

That is Good!! And that is what it’s all about, helping each other learn while having some fun. smile

See I should have saved some of that bread by freezing it, so now I’ll have to try it again with my oatmeal flour. Hmmm, I wonder if I could use that flour in a Wowie cake—I think so! 

You are a good flour girl, do you know that and I’m so lucky to have your friendship. 

Happy Baking my dear!!

Cul8tr [8:) <3

Abbey, I am lucky to have your friendship too !!

I don’t know if you can use oatmeal flour in challah. Let m know how it turns out. I love the idea of oatmeal flour. IT is excellent for cholesterol control.

Have a wonderful day, my friend kiss

Posted: 02 July 2014 03:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 89 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  67
Joined  2013-01-24

Ladies, I hope you don’t mind me butting in, I’ve enjoyed reading this thread so much!

Just to say, I’ve posted something kinda relevant to the original topic here, under the ‘bundt cake fillings and glazes’ thread so you might want to read it.

Posted: 03 July 2014 08:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 90 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Hi Eag

You are more than welcome and I just can’t quit thinking about what’s next!!

I bought a heart pan, with the name Cake Boss, from Kohl’s, on sale. I don’t watch many of the new foodie shows, but I guess he is popular. I do plan to use it for the wowie cake.

I also have a variety of nuts bought at Trader Joe’s(the best place to buy nuts)that will have to be used up this weekend, so they will be included, somehow.

I will buy that beautiful bundt pan, when the time is right. I love that pan!! 

I’m glad you enjoyed reading the post and your blueberry cake sounds wonderful. You should share the recipe, if you have time.

Abbey

6 of 8