7 of 8
Dairy-Free Cake
Posted: 03 July 2014 08:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 91 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  340
Joined  2011-12-25
Flour Girl - 02 July 2014 12:02 PM
abbey - 01 July 2014 01:44 PM

That is Good!! And that is what it’s all about, helping each other learn while having some fun. smile

See I should have saved some of that bread by freezing it, so now I’ll have to try it again with my oatmeal flour. Hmmm, I wonder if I could use that flour in a Wowie cake—I think so! 

You are a good flour girl, do you know that and I’m so lucky to have your friendship. 

Happy Baking my dear!!

Cul8tr [8:) <3

Abbey, I am lucky to have your friendship too !!

I don’t know if you can use oatmeal flour in challah. Let m know how it turns out. I love the idea of oatmeal flour. IT is excellent for cholesterol control.

Have a wonderful day, my friend kiss

Hi Flourgirl,

I googled oat flour used in challah. I think I can do it. I still haven’t bought that Cholesterol Down book, darn it. I really need it.

I want to make that Angel Food Cake in the RHC. I bought a really nice pan just for that reason, so I might be cooking up a storm this weekend.

I hope you had a good day and here is one right back at ya kiss—sweet flour girl.

Abbey smile

Posted: 04 July 2014 07:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 92 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1652
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 03 July 2014 08:16 PM
Flour Girl - 02 July 2014 12:02 PM
abbey - 01 July 2014 01:44 PM

That is Good!! And that is what it’s all about, helping each other learn while having some fun. smile

See I should have saved some of that bread by freezing it, so now I’ll have to try it again with my oatmeal flour. Hmmm, I wonder if I could use that flour in a Wowie cake—I think so! 

You are a good flour girl, do you know that and I’m so lucky to have your friendship. 

Happy Baking my dear!!

Cul8tr [8:) <3

Abbey, I am lucky to have your friendship too !!

I don’t know if you can use oatmeal flour in challah. Let m know how it turns out. I love the idea of oatmeal flour. IT is excellent for cholesterol control.

Have a wonderful day, my friend kiss

Hi Flourgirl,

I googled oat flour used in challah. I think I can do it. I still haven’t bought that Cholesterol Down book, darn it. I really need it.

I want to make that Angel Food Cake in the RHC. I bought a really nice pan just for that reason, so I might be cooking up a storm this weekend.

I hope you had a good day and here is one right back at ya kiss—sweet flour girl.

Abbey smile

Hi Abbey!

I’d love to see that pan if you get to take a pic of it.

Which Angel Food Cake, the Tweed?  That looks amazing. I have never made an angel cake before.  I must say, you are much more adventurous than I. I stick with the tried and true despite always trying new books. I really need to branch out.

Below are pics of the cakes I made for the July 4th party I am attending soon.  The bundt is The Golden Lemon Almond, the cupcakes are Blueberry Donut Cupcakes from Flo Braker and the Banana Cake/Bread is also from Flo’s book Baking For All Occasions

Have a wonderful 4th and stay safe! kiss

Image Attachments
unnamed.jpgunnamed-2.jpgunnamed-1.jpg

Posted: 05 July 2014 05:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 93 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  67
Joined  2013-01-24

I’d love to share that recipe Abbey, it works so well.  And I think Blueberry Bundt is something a lot of us like to make.

I’m not sure though about the on-line etiquette of posting a recipe I got from a cook book.  Maybe you or someone else, can advise me?  It’s true I did change two things, but they were minor changes, in ingredients, not measurements.  Do let me know, I’ve been wondering about this issue (ie sharing recipes in books) for a while.

Posted: 05 July 2014 09:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 94 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

I think it is okay to post recipes from most any book except Rose’s, if they aren’t public yet. I know Anne posted one that I used, so I’m pretty sure it is okay.  Maybe someone will correct us both. smile

Posted: 05 July 2014 09:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 95 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

I’d love to see that pan if you get to take a pic of it.

Which Angel Food Cake, the Tweed?  That looks amazing. I have never made an angel cake before.  I must say, you are much more adventurous than I. I stick with the tried and true despite always trying new books. I really need to branch out.

Below are pics of the cakes I made for the July 4th party I am attending soon.  The bundt is The Golden Lemon Almond, the cupcakes are Blueberry Donut Cupcakes from Flo Braker and the Banana Cake/Bread is also from Flo’s book Baking For All Occasions

Have a wonderful 4th and stay safe! kiss

Flourgirl—

Everything looks perfect Flourgirl. Were you the star of the party with such treats? I would think so!

Yes, it is the Tweed. I don’t like Angel Food cake but after reading Rose’s recipe, she convinced me it might be worth a try. Chocolate Angel Food cake!! Yes!

But after reading through the recipe again last night, I see that she used a 2-piece pan. Target had a one-piece ‘Nordic-Ware’ pan, which is the one I was talking about. ?

This recipe calls for 16 egg whites… I searched the RHC for recipes that use yokes and found the Marble cake recipe. Might have to try that just to use up the yokes. (love the index in the RHC listing amounts of yokes/whites per recipe, very helpful)

Have a wonderful day wink and I’ll keep you posted.

Posted: 05 July 2014 11:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 96 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Hi Abbey,

There were a lot desserts there. All food was put on a dais. By the time I went to the table half the Almond cake and half the Banana cake remained. The cupcakes were gone. As I was leaving someone followed me to my car to get a piece of each cake to take home. It was a good night for all.

Is this the pan you bought?  http://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-Platinum-Collection-Pound/dp/B0000CFU6X/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1404575319&sr=1-1&keywords=nordic+ware+pound+cake+pan

If so, that is my favorite pan.  I’ve never made an angel food so I cannot speak for how well it works for that.  I have a 2-piece pan http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-Angel-Food-Pan-Inch/dp/B0000VMGTW/ref=sr_1_1_m?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1404575620&sr=1-1&keywords=wilton+angel+food+pan but have never used it.

Good idea about the Marble Cake.  I eagerly await your results.

Have a wonderful day my friend

Posted: 05 July 2014 10:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 97 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Hi Flour Girl,

Thanks for showing me those pans. I’ve read a bunch about what works and what doesn’t. The cake has a tendency to fall out of the pan while cooling and many don’t know why. Some reasons were due to humidity, a breeze or draft or possibly the pan. I even considered buying the two-part AFC pan but couldn’t find one in stock anywhere, except BB&B, and they were expensive. Many folks used the non-stick without problems so I’m just gonna stay with it.

I just got started preparing all the ingredients so it will be a late night. I’m wide awake!!

The pan you own looks like a honey. Wish me luck. I might need it. smile

Posted: 06 July 2014 03:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 98 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  67
Joined  2013-01-24
abbey - 05 July 2014 09:32 AM

I think it is okay to post recipes from most any book except Rose’s, if they aren’t public yet. I know Anne posted one that I used, so I’m pretty sure it is okay.  Maybe someone will correct us both. smile

Thanks Abbey, I have posted the recipe in the ‘Bundt’ thread.  I hope you like it!

By the way, I share your feelings about Angel Food cake, but I too have been fascinated by Rose’s ‘tweed’ cake, because the one flavour of angelfood that I’m ok with, is chocolate.  And that ‘tweed’ is such an attractive-looking cake.  I’m determined to try it one day but it would be great for you to break the ice! wink  I have both the pan you mention, Flour Girl, and a plain old not non-stick aluminium angel food cake one.  I was toying with the idea of just putting a silicon paper round on the bottom of the plain pan (cutting a cross in the centre for the spout to go through) but not greasing it at all.  I think I did do that the one time I’ve made an angelfood cake (a chocolate one).  (There is a picture of this cake somewhere in the ‘bundt’ thread I think.)

Posted: 06 July 2014 10:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 99 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25
Flour Girl - 05 July 2014 11:55 AM

Hi Abbey,

There were a lot desserts there. All food was put on a dais. By the time I went to the table half the Almond cake and half the Banana cake remained. The cupcakes were gone. As I was leaving someone followed me to my car to get a piece of each cake to take home. It was a good night for all.

Is this the pan you bought?  http://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-Platinum-Collection-Pound/dp/B0000CFU6X/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1404575319&sr=1-1&keywords=nordic+ware+pound+cake+pan

If so, that is my favorite pan.  I’ve never made an angel food so I cannot speak for how well it works for that.  I have a 2-piece pan http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-Angel-Food-Pan-Inch/dp/B0000VMGTW/ref=sr_1_1_m?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1404575620&sr=1-1&keywords=wilton+angel+food+pan but have never used it.

Good idea about the Marble Cake.  I eagerly await your results.

Have a wonderful day my friend

Hi Flourgirl,

Here’s a pic of that AFC pan. I was very pleased with it, it did it’s job well.

I posted the Tweed cake in Show & Tell. I think I will have to try the Marble Cake later since I’m pretty tired now.

I really enjoyed putting this cake together and it was not that difficult. Wish I could send you a sample. All egg whites in the cake!! Talk to you later dear girl and have a good evening.

Image Attachments
tweedpan.jpg

Posted: 07 July 2014 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 100 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Hi Abbey,

Your cake is beautiful! It looks so tempting. I wish I could have a sample.

You are so brave. You are a fearless baker. I am so proud of you!

The frosting looks yummy too. AndI love the thickness of the frosting between the layers.

You really did an excellent job!

The pan looks very nice. I’m glad it turned out so well.

Who are you going to share your cake with?

Posted: 10 July 2014 07:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 101 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Thanks fg..  I hope you read my reply to you on the S&T thread.  Thanks for supporting me. You gr8 flourgirl.  wink

Posted: 11 July 2014 07:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 102 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Thank you Abbey..You are pretty great yourself !!!!

Posted: 16 July 2014 11:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 103 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  325
Joined  2011-10-15

Hi everyone!

I have a question regarding the wowie cake: has anyone made it using coconut or soy milk (or some other non-dairy milk) in place of water? If so, was the texture or flavour markedly different/improved?

My usually lacto-ovo vegetarian daughter has decided to experiment with veganism this summer. Really bad timing wink because her birthday’s in 2 weeks and she’s become accustomed to delicious and often elaborate layered birthday cakes (usually courtesy of Rose’s recipes). I’d like to make her the best tasting cake I possibly can and thought I would start with the almond wowie cake; if using non-dairy milk helps make it richer, I would go that route.

Also, has anyone baked it with add-ins like dried fruit or chopped nuts…...will they stay suspended in the batter?

The plan right now is for a cookies and cream layer cake - can you believe that Oreos are vegan!! - so I would like to add chopped cookies to the batter. Of course this plan may change if I can’t make a decent tasting frosting. I’m going to try a cooked flour buttercream (and I use the term loosely) with high fat coconut milk, shortening and vegan “butter”.

Any help or advice regarding either cake or frosting would be much appreciated!

Posted: 17 July 2014 10:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 104 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Hi Sophia,

I don’t know if anything other than water would work but I’d bet it would work. This cake is a breeze to make so you could just give a try.

Your daughter is lucky to have such a sweet mom. smile

I have added the dried fruit to the top of the batter and it pretty much stayed in place, so you might be safe to just mix it into the batter. I’m sure nuts would work the same way.

Anne posted a recipe of the cooked flour buttercream(that I must say was the best)and I’m pretty sure she said she used the Spectrum shortening??

Cookies and cream sounds wonderful. You could incorporate that into the frosting maybe.

Good luck and have lots of fun with your experimenting and with your daughter.

Abbey

Posted: 17 July 2014 07:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 105 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, all!

I love the cooked flour frostings, and you can use any liquid for them—including coconut milk—which would be wonderful.  However, I’he never used shortening in frosting.  You could also make a nice ganache with coconut milk—I ‘ve done it, and it’s great.

Good luck!

—ak

7 of 8