All occasion Downy yellow cake cutting problem
Posted: 16 February 2014 03:25 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2013-10-28

Hello Everyone! My customers having a trouble to cut my Yellow downy cake with Italian meringue buttercream. All my cakes 4.5 inches high with four layers of cakes and three layers of buttercream. They complain about how difficult to cut this cake. The cake is to soft and a little dry and looks on the plate as a mess, but very delicious. Any suggestion what I can do for it. I`m thinking substitute couple of TBS butter on oil. Does anybody have this problem?

Signature 

Tatyana

Posted: 16 February 2014 04:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  674
Joined  2012-01-12

I would think that a soft cake is not difficult to cut thru. Unless they meant it is too soft that it falls apart easily. I had this experience when cake was not at room temp and the buttercream was so cold . yeah maybe try the butter idea. Hope it will work.

Posted: 16 February 2014 04:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-10-28

Thank you Prettycake! Yes, I think cake was not room temperature.

Signature 

Tatyana

Posted: 16 February 2014 04:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Tatyana!

Sometimes, even when a cake is at room temperature, it can break apart—this is usually referred to as “tenderness.”  A cake that is more tender is more apt to break apart this way.

And, as Prettycake says, depending on how it’s sliced, a cake not at room temp can do this, too, but larger slices do this less than smaller ones.

Rose’s mixing method results in a more tender cake than the traditional creaming mixing method, so that is another thought—if you find Rose’s cakes too tender, you can try the same recipe with the traditional creaming method.

Another thing I often do—especially for chocolate cakes—is add an extra 1T of butter per layer.

Good luck! 

—ak

Posted: 16 February 2014 05:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Hi Tatyana,

I have made this cake more times than I can count and I also add a little extra butter like Anne does.  I also add maybe a tablespoon of vegetable oil as well ( I don’t substitute out any butter )  I like a moister cake.  It has always turned out excellent.

I haven’t tried the creaming method with this particular cake, but you might be pleased with the results.  I should do an experiment and see which method I like better.

Posted: 16 February 2014 07:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-10-28

Thank you Ladies a lot!!! I will try both of your suggestions, the traditional creaming method and add some oil. This recipe works best for me because I can use yolks in cakes and whites in IMBC.

Signature 

Tatyana

Posted: 16 February 2014 09:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

Oh, BTW, Tattyana, Welcome!!!

If you like yellow cakes, you will havea to try the yellow cake that uses white chocolate—that’s my all-time fave!!!!  If you’re using TCB, I think it’s the Golden Deluxe Butter Cake. 

If you find yourself with extra whites, you can make macaron shells and fill them with any extra frosting.  Then you can freeze filled macarons (or empty shells) pretty much indefinitely.  Ditto extra frosting.

Nothing like having lots of uses for those leftovers!!!!!!!

Let us know how your experiments work for you!

—ak