1 of 2
Uses for coconut oil and coconut sugar
Posted: 21 February 2014 01:06 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  145
Joined  2010-05-24

Has anyone ever used coconut oil in baking before? If so, how did you use it? I’ve seen the extra virgin coconut oil sold in glass jars, and they are solid like butter or shortening. I initially thought that coconut oil might be a good substitute for shortening.

I recently baked some gingersnap cookies using two different recipes—one from Shirley Corriher’s Bakewise (all-butter recipe) and one from the King Arthur flour website (all-shortening recipe). Shirley’s cookies turned out quite flat, because the butter melted quickly. The all-shortening recipe stayed plump because of the higher melting point of shortening (but was missing the delicious butter flavor). However, I don’t like the idea of eating shortening because of the hydrogenation, so I thought of coconut oil. However, some research on Wikipedia suggests that non-hydrogenated coconut oil would be a terrible substitute for butter and shortening, because it melts at around 76-78 degrees Fahrenheit.

So my question is…Then what is coconut oil good for?

And similarly, has anyone used coconut sugar in baking? Can it be substituted weight by weight for other sugars? How does it behave, etc.? I had a thought of making a coconut chiffon cake using coconut water, coconut sugar, and coconut oil. (And some shredded dried coconut too. Hehe.)

Posted: 21 February 2014 12:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  704
Joined  2012-01-12

Hi,
Where I am from, Philippines, we use both coconut oil and milk in most of our desserts and some regular cooking like meats and things like that.  Coconut milk has more use than the oil. The oil is extracted from the coconut milk, but the coconut has to be mature.  U cannot get oil from a young coconut, but the meat is so good to eat because it is very soft and u can drink the water inside it.
I use coconut milk in my baking like cakes, rice cakes, sticky rice desserts ...
I have not used oil that much. If u boil coconut milk (pure) for soooo long, it will turn to oil and the meaty part will burn. I remember when living and growing up in Philippines, women use the oil for hair care or skin. It makes hair healthy. I don’t know why u cannot use it with cake. U might get a more greasy cake or cookies.

Posted: 10 June 2014 11:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2014-06-09

Coconut oil is a most amazing super food. It has lauric, caprylic and capric acid which makes it so wonderful. It is anti viral, anti bacterial and anti fungal. It has many uses in health and it is utterly delicious. I have used it to make cookies before and the flavor is phenomenal. I’ve even used it to make a frosting. It is a staple in the raw foods gourmet kitchen and in the health conscious person’s pantry. It’s great for cooking too as it has a high smoking point but doesn’t become unhealthy when heated.  I have also substituted coconut oil for butter in other cookie recipes. It is a bit trickier to cream the oil with the sugar as it is so solid but if heated even slightly it will become liquid, there doesn’t seem to be an in between soft stage. Here are a couple links to my fav recipes with coconut oil: http://thebakingbarnstore.com/raw-foods-chocolate-coconut-rounds/ and http://thebakingbarnstore.com/muesli-cookies/ I even talk a bit more about coconut oil in these links.

Posted: 01 October 2014 10:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2595
Joined  2007-11-15

okay, this doesn’t qualify as baking, but I had to share.  coconut oil makes the best stove top popcorn ever.  it’s the fat that used to be used in movie theaters long ago.

Signature 

Come visit me at

Blog:  http://butteryum.org
Twitter:  https://twitter.com/ButterYum
Pinterest:  http://www.pinterest.com/butteryum/
Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/ButterYum.ATastyLittleFoodBlog

Posted: 04 October 2014 11:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1618
Joined  2011-02-17

I have several recipes which call for coconut oil and coconut sugar. I want to try coconut sugar but I won’t use the coconut oil. Although it is touted for having health benefits, it is amazingly high in saturated fat which converts to cholesterol. For those recipes, I have substituted canola oil with excellent results.

Posted: 05 October 2014 11:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  320
Joined  2011-12-25

Hello Flour Girl!!! Why coconut sugar?  Is it healthier than regular sugar?  I read one article that said it had some nutrients.

My grandpa used coconut oil for popcorn. He had a popcorn stand at the local movie theatre back in the 30’s. I always heard stories about how good it was.

Posted: 09 October 2014 01:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Hi Abbey!

What an adorable profile pic you have!

My neighbor swears by coconut oil. She is a life-long vegetarian. She recently learned her cholesterol is real high. One TB of Coconut Oil contains 14g of saturated fat. One TB Canola oil contains 1.5g saturated fat. Huge difference! Saturated fat converts to cholesterol. I have been baking an oatmeal cookie bar i just love. It uses coconut oil and coconut sugar. Coconut sugar is supposed to not raise your blood sugar level as much as regular sugar. I went to the store to buy it. When I saw the price, I changed my mind. I an using light brown sugar for the coconut sugar.

Here is the recipe:

http://ohsheglows.com/2014/09/02/toffee-cinnamon-oatmeal-cookie-bars-vegan-gluten-free/

I substitute 70g Canola oil in place of the coconut oil

I use 63g mini chocolate chips (not the Vegan because it has much more saturated fat than Nestle’s) and I don’t sprinkle chips on top.

It’s good to see you again. I hope you are doing well. i hope to see you more often now

Posted: 09 October 2014 11:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

I love trees!!  smile

I’m so glad to see you, Flour Girl.  You were missed!!!

Read about coconut sugar’s effect on blood sugar levels and also saw the price at the GS - Wowie! Along with higher prices on most everything else!!!!! That’s life in the big city.

Kept looking for the toffee in the recipe and finally read the part about the coconut sugar giving it that flavor. Wouldn’t have guessed that one.

I haven’t made my oatmeal cookies in forever, due to Rose keeping me so interested, but I like that recipe. It sounds like you do your homework, regarding the fat content in foods that try to fool us. You really do have to be diligent and watch every little thing.

I question canola oil though, but need to do my homework to better understand. I do remember the flax-egg mixture and like it, but never tried it. I hear Flax is a product that we must be careful about because of rancidity. It’s always something!! smile

I’m doing well and looking forward to the beautiful fall colors and chatting with you. I hope you are doing well too!!

Posted: 10 October 2014 12:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Hi Abbey! It’s great to see you too!

I use light brown sugar in this recipe. The toffee flavor comes from combining the oil and sugar and chocolate chips.

You are correct about Flax seeds. That is why it must be stored in the freezer. The flax and water work well. It develops a similar viscosity as an egg.

The recipe is baked in an 8x8 pan. I usually cut bars into 9 pieces. For me, there is no way that works with this recipe. I cut the bars into 6 pieces because there is no way 1 small serving will suffice.

I hope you have a great weekend. Regards to your Grandma.

Posted: 11 October 2014 07:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

I would love to make those this weekend(for Grandma). Those cookies sound delicious and good for the heart. Grandma is still with us and whenever I see her now, she always asks me if I have a sweet dessert to share. The look on her face is priceless.

How’s your Uncle? I hope he is doing well. Talk to you soon and enjoy your weekend.

Are you baking this weekend?

Posted: 11 October 2014 11:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
abbey - 11 October 2014 07:38 AM

I would love to make those this weekend(for Grandma). Those cookies sound delicious and good for the heart. Grandma is still with us and whenever I see her now, she always asks me if I have a sweet dessert to share. The look on her face is priceless.

How’s your Uncle? I hope he is doing well. Talk to you soon and enjoy your weekend.

Are you baking this weekend?

My uncle is great! Thank you for asking. He’s about to turn 95!!

Yes, I am baking. I am baking a version of the toffee bar. It is..

http://ohsheglows.com/2014/09/09/raspberry-chia-seed-jam-oat-crumble-squares-vegan-gluten-free/

I have all my ingredients and will be starting soon. I’ve not made this before. I hope I like it. I am not a jam-loving person but my family is.

I’ll report back

Have a wonderful weekend!

Posted: 12 October 2014 09:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

So glad to hear your uncle is doing well. Time for a birthday cake for the man! smile

I hope your baking went well. I tried the Cinnamon Cloud-Nine Crunchies tonight. The first batch didn’t really look like Rose’s picture of them, so I rolled them a bit smaller and they are baking now.

Only had to use the food processor, so it was perfect for me tonight and a breeze to clean-up!!

Here is a pic, just for the fun of it.

Image Attachments
cloud.jpg

Posted: 13 October 2014 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Looks great Abbey. Why haven’t I ever seen that recipe before? How are they?

Posted: 13 October 2014 04:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

I think it was Tonia that asked about Christmas cookies/baking which got me looking in Rose’s cookie book. found this recipe that I had seen before, plus one that uses macadamia nuts that I can’t wait to try, and will, once I get some rest and can think clearly. :(

I set the yeast up with water 110* and a little sugar. It did it’s thing and all look good. The exp. date was 2015. I added that to the flour, sugar and salt already in the processor. Maybe I processed a the dough longer than necessary because my cookies didn’t puff up like Rose’s and had a strong yeast flavor. So heck, I will do that again, esp since was so easy.

They were not awful enough to leave alone… but next time!!!

You should give it a try, Flour Girl, though there’s just a little bit of butter. wink

Posted: 14 October 2014 12:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

I have that book Abbey. I’ll look for the recipe. Thanks for pointing it out. grin

Posted: 15 October 2014 08:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-25

Good Morning Flour Girl,

Did you get a chance to look at that recipe? What do you think? I will try it again this weekend and hope for a puffier cookie! smile

1 of 2

‹‹ sponge cake      Angel cake cutter ››