Different AP flour for scones
Posted: 21 February 2014 01:25 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  144
Joined  2010-05-24

Rose recommends King Arthur or Hecker’s AP flour for her scones, and I’ve always stuck to King Arthur with great success. However, has anyone tried a lower protein flour like Gold Medal bleached AP? I know it probably won’t be as good, but how disastrous were the results? Scone melted into a sheet? Or just mediocre mushy scones without much flakiness?

I ask because I’ve moved to a new place (small apartment) and only brought along by Gold Medal bleached AP flour. I can buy KA flour at the store, but I don’t really have room in the apartment right now. I just want to know how badly the scones will turn out if I substituted Gold Medal bleached flour. Perhaps I shouldn’t even try?

Posted: 24 February 2014 09:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4797
Joined  2008-04-16

I haven’t made these with either flour, but there is a big difference in protein content from GM bleached AP to KAF unbleached AP- also, the unbleached flour will have more flavor while the bleached AP will stay in the background and let other flavors come through.  I’m thinking that they won’t be as flaky or rise as high with the bleached AP, but they might still be good. 

Good luck if you try, and please report back smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 25 February 2014 04:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  144
Joined  2010-05-24

Yea, it’s almost sacrilegious to use the wrong type of flour for these scones—which are the best kind. But I guess that’s just me and my wishful, naive thinking that maybe they won’t be a complete disaster. I’ll let you guys know if I try it.