Grand Mariner Cake:  RHC v. TCB
Posted: 21 February 2014 09:09 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, all!

And, I might, add, “Hi, Julie!” as I believe this is your favorite non-genoise cake, or at least high on the list, correct!

I am thinking of making this for a March birthday, and I have a few questions, pleeeeeease:

1.  RHC uses bleached AP; TCB uses cake flour—I want to bake two 9” layers (like RHC), any reason not to use bleached AP (I’ve got some I want to use up).  I wasn’t sure if it was used here for wedding cake purposes, whatever they might be—strenghth, what have you—and not AS recommended if not necessary, you know?

2.  TCB uses orange flower water, and RHC doesn’t.  I don’t have any. Does it add appreciably to the cake?

3.  Julie, I know you are a fan of syruped cakes, but not of syruped butter cakes.  However, this is a butter cake and one of your faves.  What are your views on the syrup?  It looks like a lot!!!!

Thanks!!!

—ak

Posted: 22 February 2014 12:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1186
Joined  2009-11-24

hey Anne, I am not certain I can answer your technical questions but I have two cents. 

Grand Marnier and Golden Dream in RHC are very high on my list.  Let me say that sister has sibling rivalry about my baking and rarely compliments my cakes.  However, she loves the Grand Marnier cake.

I imagine you get more flavor from the syrup made with the Grand Marnier than you would from Orange Water.  Also, I think this cake is a more dense than others and benefit from the syrup.  The syrup definitely makes sense since it is presented as a wedding cake in RHC.  Now, that said, I am not sure i have ever used all of the syrup called for.  I would think if you do not have orange flower water or grand Marnier (which is expensive), you could make a syrup with some orange peel in sugar and water…but taste the orange peel first. 

In TCB the Grand Marnier is a bundt cake right, would that have something to do with the difference in flour?  I say use the bleached AP.  But, what do I know - I have never made the TCB version. 

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 22 February 2014 03:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks so much, Renee!!!!  I am really looking forward to making this cake.  In TCB, the orange flower water is used instead of vanilla (with vanilla as an alternative), rather than as a Grand Mariner alternative, so I’ll go with vanilla (orange flower water isn’t even mentioned in RBH’s version).

Renee, I was at my groc today, and the only mini chocolate chips were nestles.  What do you think of that?  Would they be excessively lame?  I’m happy to buy Grant Marnier, but I don’t want to buy the Les Perles—to me, it’s too much $$ just to have my chocoalte round, if you know what i mean.  However, I could temper some chocolate, spread it very thin on some parchment, let it set and then fracture it, but there will be varying sizes—from fine shreds to slightly larger, but always flat and thin, pieces.

Have you tried Nestles?  What do you think?  Give them a miss and make my own?  I was hoping they at least have ghiradelli, which I like.

About what % of the syrup do you end up using?  I never know when to stop, becuase I don’t syrup enough, so I tend to use it all when I do.  Also, did you make the syrup “as is” or use more Grand Mariner and less orange juice.

Do you use the Grand Mariner ganache, or have you ever used an alternate frosting on this?  Maybe an orange or caramel SMBC?

Thanks for all your thoughts!

I wish you and your sister were baking pals instead of rivals; however, I definitely like your cakes better!

—ak

Posted: 22 February 2014 06:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1186
Joined  2009-11-24

Anne, I think the minis are fine… you could also just pipe on chic dots.  I used the minis the first time I made the cake.  I do not remember now if it was Nestles or something else.    For this cake I always made the grand marnier ganache.  have fun, you will enjoy this cake.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 22 February 2014 09:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks again, Renee!  I can’t wait!

Posted: 24 February 2014 09:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4803
Joined  2008-04-16

Hi Anne!  Sorry to be so late chiming in- work getting in the way of my forum forays.

I think you are talking about the butter cake, not the chocolate genoise, is that right?

If so, the Grand Marnier cake is good but a little boozy.  IMHO, it needs all that boozy syrup to taste really good.  I made it once with a reduced amount of grand marnier and was disappointed with the milder flavor.  I didn’t use OFW, but I do like that stuff and think it would be fun to try, as long as it stayed in the background and wasn’t too strong. I wouldn’t worry about leaving it out.

re: the flour, bleached AP would be fine, especially since there are ground almonds in the cake which tenderize.

re: syruped butter cakes, I am in the minority in not liking the texture.  And it turns out it is butter cakes made with cake flour that I don’t like to syrup.  The ones with ground almonds and AP flour, those I am happy to douse in syrup.

good luck, looking forward to seeing your cake!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 25 February 2014 11:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks, Julie!

Yes, I am planning on the butter cake—specifically, the wedding cake version.

I am suprised it needs the syrup with all that good sour cream, butter and almonds, but I will surely use it!  Do you consider it “good” or “outstanding” when syruped correctly—just curious.  Thanks for your thoughts on the syruping and AP flour!  Do you think Rose’s written ration of GM:orange juice is good, or would you do more GM?  Do you use ALL the syrup?  I’m always super-paranoid about syrup.  I expect this cake should get me over that hump, as it will be my 4th syruped cake and, thus, time to GET OVER IT. gulp

Also, I am obscessing on the chocolate chips for the inside of the cake (I’m not putting any chocolate pieces on the outside). cheese All I have available to me is Nestles (ordering anything else online would be a lot of shipping or too many bags).  Do you think that, taken together with the grand mariner ganache made with good chocolate, Nestles mini chips would fly?  If not, I can temper some chocolate, spread it 1/8” thin, and cut it to little squares before it sets completely.  What woudl you do?

This is my first cake for this boss, so I want it to be really yummy! 

Thanks!!

—ak