Non dairy, egg & gluten free cake
Posted: 21 February 2014 02:37 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  136
Joined  2010-01-18

Ok fellow baking addicts - I have a real challenge for you! Is it possible to make a cake that is not only dairy free and gluten free - but also EGG free? And that still tastes good and has a decent texture - not like a piece of rubber? I am not versed even in gluten free baking - so this is a real huge dilemma for me - but the wedding is over a year off so thank goodness I have lots of time to experiment! Any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

Posted: 21 February 2014 02:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

You might try the “Wowie” cake using gluten-free flour.  Lots of people like it, and you can sub nut flours 1:1 for the cocoa powder, and you can use variety oils in it, as well.

Posted: 21 February 2014 03:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  674
Joined  2012-01-12

Taste free too ? smile u have time, you will find it eventually. Lots of luck.

Posted: 21 February 2014 03:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  598
Joined  2007-11-27

See if you can use enerG egg replacer in a gluten free recipe; when I’ve had requests for egg free recipes I ask if that’s ok to use (not foam cakes, obviously).  Sometimes it is, sometimes not; but it’s worth experimenting to make sure it will work in a gluten free recipe.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 21 February 2014 11:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  904
Joined  2009-05-25

Rose has recipes for dairy free ganache on the website…you can choose a nut-milk or soy-milk ...they are delicious provided you can get your hands on chocolate without dairy, which is generally quite easy to do if you buy 60% or higher.  You could just make truffles???  The cake is more problematic…doing without all three dairy, gluten, and egg…well that’s more challenging.  I think you will be stuck with using some products like the Egg-replacer and some nut flours and/or gluten free blends.  I’m sure there’s a way around it, perhaps not the traditional “Vision” of cake.