Mousseline question
Posted: 21 February 2014 06:33 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

I know a little boy who is allergic to eggs. He is only allergic if you were to say, put a fried or scrambled egg in his mouth. He can eat eggs if they are cooked in something (like cakes, cookies etc). My question is, is mousseline with eggs consider safe becuase you are putting the sugar water in it?

Also, I made a batch of mousseline today’s of course my thermometer died right at 230degrees so I had no idea when it was as 248! I took it off and finished the batch. After adding the butter looked majorly curdled and actually watery. I was like oh my…..so I put it on the highest setting and whipped it really hard for a few minutes. It seemed like it came together. It tasted fine, and it wasn’t watery. But it did seem almost too stiff to spread nicely. And piping ahead slightly harder. Not as easy to work with. What did I do?

Posted: 21 February 2014 07:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  670
Joined  2012-01-12

Sounds like your butter got so soft due to hot temp then it cooled down and got stiff.  Two things I would do is either add warm milk and whip it or add corn syrup and also whip it. But do it gradually, like a tablespoon at a time.

Posted: 21 February 2014 11:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  901
Joined  2009-05-25

Hi SN,
I deal with alot of allergies in my family and I would say Mouselline is out.  If you consider the ratio of egg to butter, it’s pretty high compared to the ingredients in a cake.  Also, the cooking is borderline.  I just made some Mouselline using Pasteurized egg whites, since it was for a kids birthday and I wanted to be extra, 100% safe.  Can’t say the results were awesome—the meringue was not nearly as stiff as it usually is.  My kids love ganache and I like using it because I can make it dairy free if needed (lots of 60% chocolate does not contain milk) and it’s awesome!!!  My house is always on the cold side and I had to melt the Mouselline to get a nice finish on the cake but I never like the appearance as much as when I don’t take a hot spatula to it!!

Posted: 22 February 2014 12:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1174
Joined  2009-11-24

Hello SweetNess,

I recall wanting to add to my repertoire, a non-egg frosting.  I was pleased with the results of this frosting that I used on a tiered cake and piped.  It is a cooked frosting.  It was made by request of a woman celebrating a 75th birthday.  Nostalgic for her I guess.  It does not contain confectioner’s sugar or shortening

http://www.landolakes.com/recipe/581/old-fashioned-cooked-frosting

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 22 February 2014 03:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3147
Joined  2010-04-25

I love cooked frosting.  I usually just use milk—sometimes even skim milk—instead of healf and half or cream.  I often simply thicken milk this way and add it (cooled completely) to Rose’s frostings to lighten them.  It works very well—it makes the frosting so “whippy” that everyone thinks the frosting is super-light and (thus) non-caloric, and it even stays soft in the fridge.

Posted: 24 February 2014 09:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

I wouldn’t venture a guess as to the allergy questions, however, your mousseline sounds like the sugar syrup temp went too high and so it became too stiff.  The severe curdling happens anytime the mixture’s temps are off, it may not have been related to the sugar syrup issue.  Mousseline can get too stiff when cool, but if it is stiff at a temp that butter is normally soft, then your sugar syrup was too hot.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe