HELP - CAKE BAKES ODDLY
Posted: 24 February 2014 06:54 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  129
Joined  2011-01-21

Hello everyone! 
  I have a BIG problem and i am not sure what the problem is…

Ok here we go - i have been making my chocolate cake for over two years - comes out great.  All the sudden a few weeks ago i made the cake and it cake out of the pan looking like the photo attached. 
I thought - ok try again no big deal.  I have made the cake now over 7 times and all 7 times the cake looks like this to varying degrees….It doesn’t really take the shape of the pan anymore, it falls when cooling, it is denser than usual

I thought maybe my oven thermometer is broken?  I am using all the same ingredients, and my baking powder is in a big jug from costco with a best by 2015….does anything happen to the baking powder when exposed to air?  maybe there is to much air in the container?  I am grasping at anything at this point (LOL)

Any thoughts as to why this is happening????? 

Thanks….
Little Lottie - in baking sorrows!

Image Attachments
crapcake.JPG

Posted: 24 February 2014 07:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  687
Joined  2012-01-12

How about buying a new small container of BP, bake the cake as usual using the new BP and see if u get the same results, if it is the BP that is the suspect here. Good luck.

Posted: 24 February 2014 07:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1567
Joined  2011-02-17

I agree with Prettycake. Baking powder is supposed to be used within 6 months of opening. Unless I was a baker, that is the one product I wouldn’t buy from Costco. 

I would return the BP. Costco will refund your money no questions asked.

Posted: 24 February 2014 07:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

I third the suggestion!

Posted: 24 February 2014 07:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1363
Joined  2008-09-27

That layer looks very tall in proportion to its width, and it looks like the batter might have spilled over the lip? Can you provide more clues like the pan diameter, height?

Sinking, I think, wouldn’t be a symptom of bad BP, although a new can won’t hurt. I’ve been using mine for well over a year with no problem. You might drop some into a cup of water and see what happens.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 24 February 2014 07:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-21

Really? Six months - who knew? I will buy new BP and an oven thermometer and see what the issue is…Thanks for all your suggestions!

Posted: 24 February 2014 08:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Yes. I don’t remember where I read that though but I have been following that advice since I started baking. I just checked in RHC and Rose said, “There is a substantial loss of strength after one year.” I write the date it was opened on the can. I bake so frequently it is always used before 6 months elapses but my cans are only 8 ounces.

Posted: 24 February 2014 09:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2008-01-24

Best by 2015 is the date it should be used by if it is unopened. Another possibility is your cocoa. Have you switched from dutch processed?

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 24 February 2014 09:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4797
Joined  2008-04-16

I’ll throw another idea into the ring- did you switch brands of baking powder?  It almost looks to me like the cake rose too high and then fell, a sign of over-leavening.  If you recently switched to Argo, some people are reporting that it is a little more active than other brands, which could account for an over-leavened result.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 25 February 2014 04:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-21

Hi Everyone -  I switched brands of BP but i have used this in the past with no issue.  The issue above came out of nowhere that is what concerned me…I am using the same coco i have been as well - same brand - new containers.

Posted: 25 February 2014 10:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Are you going to rebake this cake with the new BP?

Posted: 25 February 2014 04:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1363
Joined  2008-09-27
Julie - 24 February 2014 09:43 PM

It almost looks to me like the cake rose too high and then fell, a sign of over-leavening.

Yeah, that’s kinda where I was going. That could leave a cake dense, too.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 04 March 2014 05:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  71
Joined  2011-04-30

Hi, there!
I have used Argo brand bp for my small business from 6-8 months after opening the container without any issue. What I discovered regarding the “attitude” of chocolate cake yielding similar results in the past causing it to rise and fall are the following:
1) Over leavening
2) Too much liquid (i.e oil, water, flavorings, etc.)
3) Type of flour used
4) Over greasing the pan. I discovered that by greasing and flouring the base of the cake pan up to no more than half the height of the pan allows the cake to cling to the un-greased parts of the cake pan. This provides some support for the cake preventing it from sinking.
5) Use of dutch processed cocoa vs. regular cocoa powder
6) Folding and Mixing techniques used
7) Deeper pans (i.e. 3” pans) are most likely to create this problem. I switched to a 2” cake pan and use baking strips for all my cakes yielding very favorable results.

The combination of one or more of these factors may have caused your cake to sink and fall. I have tried all of Rose’s chocolate cake recipes with no issues especially the Chocolate Fudge Cake. If you share the recipe with the forum, maybe we can troubleshoot your problem a little bit better.

Good luck.