Using fondant
Posted: 29 November 2008 12:57 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2008-10-25

Does anyone know if you frost a cake with whipped cream icing can you cover it with fondant?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Posted: 29 November 2008 01:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

I think that would not work well at all.  Fondant is extremely heavy and the whipped cream just wouldn’t hold up at all.  Rose’s Mousseline buttercream will hold up under fondant though.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 29 November 2008 06:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  102
Joined  2008-04-28

I agree with Patrincia, I doubt it would hold up well without sliding once the cream starts to weep slightly - also I’d be worried about food safety issues as you really shouldn’t refrigerate a cake once it’s covered in fondant so I’d be worried how long the cream had been on the cake at room temp whilst decorating and display prior to serving.

Posted: 29 November 2008 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  596
Joined  2007-11-27

Well, technically you can’t cover a cake with whipped cream and then put fondant on it.  But there are always exceptions to the rules and in this case (cake?!), the Swedish Princess Cake is the exception.

Princess Cake is traditional in Sweden for celebrating a birthday (so I’m told) and in it’s classic iteration it is layers of a white cake, brushed ever so lightly with raspberry jam, filled with pastry cream and then a big dome of whipped cream on the top.  (The top of the cake looks like an overturned bowl.)  Then the whole thing is covered in a pale green marzipan but with so many nut allergies out there, I gave up using marzipan and started using fondant instead.  When I do this, I use a white chocolate mousse or a very firm whipped sweetened cream.  It works, but it is best to eat the cake the day it is picked up and when I make this for clients, I put the fondant on the morning they pick it up.  Usually I put the cake in the freezer for a few hours as a little insurance to make sure the dome is firm enough. And it’s the dome that helps because there are no sharp edges on this cake which means you don t have to smooth the fondant (or marzipan) at all if you do it right.  I tell clients that it will hold for the day, but no guarantees on what it looks like the next day smile It is a huge seller for me in the spring, especially for Easter.

As for using fondant to cover a cake slathered with whipped cream (sides, top, filling…) I don’t think it’s a good idea; you can’t really smooth the fondant out the way you do on a typical cake.  Maybe you can use fondant dots or some other small design made from fondant on the cake?

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 29 November 2008 10:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2008-11-02

just curious…. why did you want to cover it (whipped cream) in fondant?

Signature 

my awesome stuff on flickr….
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29655377@N06/sets/
check it out!

Posted: 02 December 2008 04:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1419
Joined  2007-11-15

you can, but if you first quick freeze the frosted cake, so the whip cream is hard.  I would serve as soon as possible, as condensation may occur on the fondant.  I bet it would be delicious, too!

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

‹‹ Keeping cake warm      Thank you all ››