cake decoration class elissa strauss june new york
Posted: 02 March 2014 12:28 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2011-05-04

I will be in new york in June and wanted to take a cake decoration class with elissa strauss for her 3-D dog cake.  The classes are expensive but not so much if you learn in a group?  Anybody else interested in taking a class with her so we can form a group? Im also planning to request Ron Ben Israel for a class please let me know if anyone is interested. 

Thanks

Posted: 02 March 2014 07:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2007-11-27

Check and see if there’s a Craftsy online video class on the sculpted dog cake; it may or may not taught by Elisa Strauss but the concept is still the same; and if you wait for a craftsy sale, it’s much more affordable.  The advantage with an online course is that you can view and review it as many times as you want, and post questions to the person who is teaching the class (it’s not real time, but if you post a question they’ll respond).

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 02 March 2014 10:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-05-04

Thanks Jeanne, there is a craftsy video on the dog cake.  I guess I should just do that.  I do wonder at times if the learning would be the same if I take an online class or an in-person class.  I feel that if the instructor is there with me they can see what Im doing and then instruct me based on that.  Online classes don’t have that advantage.

Besides, I don’t go to New York very often.  I want to take some nice cake classes there.  Baking or decoration. Do you know of a place?

Thanks

Posted: 02 March 2014 12:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  715
Joined  2012-01-12

Hi Singbaker,

When I went to Le Cordon Bleu w/c used to be California Culinary Academy in the pastry class, it was a huge class and I really enjoyed it. The good thing about being in the classroom is that you can ask questions. If u are really into this and serious about it, I would pay the money and sit in the class if it was me.

Posted: 03 March 2014 01:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1214
Joined  2009-11-24

Well, I think it would be great to go to New York.  However, the online Craftsy Classes are great….Yes, there is an advantage you get from asking questions as you are doing it ad getting instant feedback.  But with Craftsy you can watch it several times, ask your own questions, see answers to others’ questions, etc. 

knowing what I know about Craftsy, I would go to New York but take a different class - on a subject or from someone not teaching the same subject on Craftsy.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 03 March 2014 11:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-05-04

Thanks pretty cake and CRenee.  Hmm….I do want to take classes but now I think I won’t take the dog class as CRenee recommended…maybe something else.  The classes are really expensive though…please let me know if someone decides to take a class with me.

Thanks again! You all are so helpful!  I just wish I could be more regular on this forum but its hard with young kids.

Happy baking!!

Posted: 10 March 2014 10:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1651
Joined  2011-02-17
Singbaker - 02 March 2014 12:28 AM

I will be in new york in June and wanted to take a cake decoration class with elissa strauss for her 3-D dog cake.  The classes are expensive but not so much if you learn in a group?  Anybody else interested in taking a class with her so we can form a group? Im also planning to request Ron Ben Israel for a class please let me know if anyone is interested. 

Thanks

I just noticed Craftsy is holding a contest. the prize, a free class:

http://www.the-cake-lovers.com/craftsy-class-giveaway/

Posted: 26 March 2014 09:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2010-02-24

Hi Singbaker.  I live in NY and would be interested in attending a group class with you at Elisa Strauss’ location.  I already purchased the dog class on Craftsy so I would rather take a different class with her.  Also check out Desirable Cake in Queens, NY for some classes and NY Cake and Bake.  Both places bring in instructors like Kaysie Lackey, Susan Carberry, Sharon Wee, Colette Peters, etc.  Also check out ICE in NYC.  Toba Garrett teaches cake decorating classes there.  Keep me posted on the group class with Elisa Strauss.  Thanks.

Posted: 08 May 2014 09:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1214
Joined  2009-11-24

Singbaker and Kathy -

Ron Ben Israel is teaching a class in NY in June .. June 12 to June 14 - all kind of flowers and YES EXPENSIVE. 

http://www.internationalculinarycenter.com/courses/sugar-paste-flowers-ron-ben-israel/

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 08 May 2014 11:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  715
Joined  2012-01-12

I like Ron Ben Israel. He is awesome. His reputation is unbeatable. There is only a few like him around. I don’t mind pricey as long as it is worth it.

‹‹ Dairy-Free Cake      Thank You Prettycake! ››