Help -don’t know what I did wrong
Posted: 02 March 2014 12:50 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2014-03-02

I made a pineapple upside down cake “wrong” by forgetting to cream the butter and sugar together first, and mixing the sugar with the rest of the dry ingredients.  The cake was of course very dense, like a pound cake, and people raved about it.  When I made it the “right” way, the cake was light and airy, but not as buttery and people liked the “wrong” way better.  How can I adjust the recipe so it always comes out the “wrong” way?

1 1/2 cups AP flour
6 tbls almond meal
6 tbls cake flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 3/4 cups caster sugar
3/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond extract
4 large eggs, room temp
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup sour cream

Standard method cream butter and sugar, whisk together dry ingredients.  Add eggs 1at a time to butter/sugar.  Add dry ingredients to butter/eggs in two additions, alternating with sour cream.

I can’t remember what I did “wrong” to make such a dense buttery cake, which held up better to the pineapple and caramelized sugar topping.  What’s the best way to combine the ingredients to get a dense buttery cake?

If you want the rest of the recipe, make a caramel in a 10 in cast iron skillet by mixing 2 cups water and 2 cups sugar.  When medium amber, take off heat and add 1/4 butter (unsalted.).

Take a 20 oz can of pineapple slices, drain, and dry the slices.  Carefully arrange pinapple slices in caramel.

Make the batter.  Pour into skillet over pineapple and caramel.  Bake at 325 for 75 minutes or until cake tester is clean.

Posted: 02 March 2014 01:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1360
Joined  2008-09-27

There are a lot of ways to do this. Pound cakes usually have more butter, which will produce a denser product, but you could also just reduce the baking powder.

You might also try the reverse creaming method that Rose’s cakes use. She also mixes the sugar with the dry ingredients, but then adds the butter and a small amount of liquid, and then, after a minute or two, adds the rest of the liquid. That will produce a more dense product, but a more tender one as well.

You might find it easier to adapt an existing pound cake recipe to your needs.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 02 March 2014 01:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2014-03-02

Thats a great idea.  I think I’ll try mixing the dry ingredients, adding the butter, mixing the four eggs with the extracts, adding about 1/4 of that, then adding the rest of the eggs and the sour cream,

Posted: 02 March 2014 01:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1360
Joined  2008-09-27

Sounds like a good plan. Let us know how it turns out.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach