strawberry buttercream - Classic versus Mousseline versus Silk meringue
Posted: 07 March 2014 10:42 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2011-05-15

Which one has the best flavour and texture? I am planning to fill a vanilla cake with it and frost with the white chocolate mousseline =)

Posted: 07 March 2014 11:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  905
Joined  2009-05-25

Hi chocoholic,

I am unable to answer your specific question, but in the event no one else responds… I have made the raspberry classic (nice b/c uses up yolks from mousseline) with the white chocolate mouselline and it was a great combination. One of the best “white” cakes I’ve ever made.  The classic is definitely a richer buttercream, but I was surprised how the raspberry held it’s own with the richness of the eggs.  I think it was great as a filling for contrast with the white chocolate mousseline.  I’m sure others will be able to give you more info.

Posted: 08 March 2014 07:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  598
Joined  2007-11-27

I think the comparison is more on richness - the classic is going to be richer because of the egg yolks; while the mousseline is going to be light (because of the egg whites) and the silk meringue is going to be somewhere in the middle -  richer than the mousseline because of the pastry cream but different from the classic.  It’s all going to depend on your own personal taste.  If you will be adding fresh chopped strawberries to the filling, I might go with the mousseline; if you are not, then any of them will be delicious with vanilla cake and the WC mousseline outside.  It might come down to using the classic to use up the egg yolks from the mousseline….

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)