Do you reduce sugar in cake recipe
Posted: 10 March 2014 04:24 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-10-22

Hi All

I am a BIG fan of Rose and her recipes. they are amazing and have helped me concentrate more on decorating techniques, now that recipes are taken care of as i just follow the cake bilble smile. but here is a question, lately i have tried making the white velvet cake from the cake bible. the structure was perfect, but when I eat the cake on its own I find a bit too sweet. Do you guys feel the same? if yes do you reduce the sugar? I checked the recipe again and again to see if I had done anything wrong in my measurements, but it lokks like i did not.

I use Mousseline buttercream on my cakes, which is not very sweet, so does that balance the taste?

Please help !

Pbha

Posted: 11 March 2014 01:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Pbha!

Welcome!

I’ve done this before—specifically in the White Velvet Cake!  I reduced the sugar by 1/3.  I read that when you reduce sugar, you replace 1/2 of the weight of what you reduced with liquid, because sugar contains moisture.  So I increased the milk by 1/2 of the weight of the reduced sugar.  It took longer to bake, but it was very delicious! That said, I’m not sure how necessary it was to add back that much liquid.

Hope that’s helpful!

—ak

Posted: 11 March 2014 04:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-10-22

Ohh Thank you Anne I will try and do that next time. Thanks heaps

Posted: 12 March 2014 01:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4797
Joined  2008-04-16

The other thing you can do when reducing sugar is to increase the butter, so that the tenderness and moistness normally contributed by the sugar are taken care of by butter.  This is why pound cakes tend to have less sugar than layer cakes, because of the butter.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe