pullman loaf recipe
Posted: 13 March 2014 01:11 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-02-29

I recently bought a Pullman loaf pan 16x4x4 like the recipe from the bread bible calls for. However, when I made the bread it was pretty much a charcoal loaf when it came out. Is 425 degrees the correct temperature? It seems very high especially to bake for an hour. I’ve never had an issue with any other recipes in the Bread Bible, can anyone help me? I have an over thermometer, a very accurate scale, I use gram method to be more precise, I have a light colored pan, I don’t know what the issue could be besides the temperature and having the pan at the lowest level.

Posted: 13 March 2014 04:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  637
Joined  2008-01-24

I haven’t used Rose’s recipe but here is a reference from someone who had a problem like yours.
http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2006/02/corrections_the_bread_bible.html
Woody suggests temp and pan color in his reply. The recipe temp seems high to me. It is not what I have used with my Pullman pan. My pan is a dark color and I bake at 350F in a convection oven. I also do not remove the cover after 20 minutes as Rose suggests.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 13 March 2014 06:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1370
Joined  2008-09-27

The temp struck me as high, too, but I suppose that since the pan is covered, the moisture content in the pan would work to keep the bread from browning.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 13 March 2014 08:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  703
Joined  2012-01-12

I have not tried this recipe, but I too think that the temp is a bit too high for such baking time. I have never baked anything at this temp, maybe something like a huge roast beef or prime rib but not cake or bread. Try making it again but at lower temp. 350 - 375 o and see what happens.

Posted: 14 March 2014 12:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  703
Joined  2012-01-12

I take that back, I just made Bagels over an hour ago and baked them at 425 for 25 mins.  but they came out good..

Image Attachments
P1030094.JPG

Posted: 15 March 2014 12:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  79
Joined  2011-03-01

Check the King Arthur Flour site and see what they recommend for their pullman loaf pan recipe.

Signature 

kyle

http://www.adventuresingoodfood.com

‹‹ Underbaked center      Decisions ››